• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The sudden death of Identity Politics in America

sooda

Veteran Member
It still exists. Now they just complain that Dems are the racists and sexists too. That is what Harris claimed. It is what I have read. Faced it people that embrace identity politics wont be happy until someone of the right race and sex is elected as the ideology is superficial. Merit means nothing to these people.

Nope.

Not really. People are already complaining about Sanders and Biden due to being white and male

You think the problem is that they are white and male? I think they are simply too old... like Trump and Hillary are too old.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Then there's this from the article:

"By June 1963, Kennedy was signaling his intention to break with the Cold War consensus. In a speech at American University, he called for a new approach toward the Soviet Union. While condemning its totalitarian system, he said: “Let us not be blind to our differences, but let us also direct attention to our common interests and the means by which those differences can be resolved."
When JFK Was Trump

...Then we see Trump making strides toward working with the North Korean leader, as well as Putin. All against the advice of his military strategists and political advisors.

sooda

Veteran Member
Then there's this from the article:

"By June 1963, Kennedy was signaling his intention to break with the Cold War consensus. In a speech at American University, he called for a new approach toward the Soviet Union. While condemning its totalitarian system, he said: “Let us not be blind to our differences, but let us also direct attention to our common interests and the means by which those differences can be resolved."

...Then we see Trump making strides toward working with the North Korean leader, as well as Putin.

Are you comparing Trump to Kennedy? Do you remember Kennedy? He could speak and he wasn't crude. He didn't have tantrums or call people names.

sooda

Veteran Member
from your article:

Under Trump, we have seen that a president without the gifts of knowledge and judgment is ill-served by ignoring advice from the grownups in the room. By relying on his own instincts in a phone call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the president greatly strengthened the hands of Iran, Russia and ISIS while shaking our allies’ faith in America’s judgment.

The heavy costs of ignoring sound advice may lead the next president to reaffirm respect for the “deep state.” But if respect becomes veneration, if the next president does not know how and where to look for alternatives to the consensus, that could well lead to a new series of destructive policies. A president without the ability to thoughtfully contest the conventional wisdom, without the ability to argue for new alternatives to old problems, does the office and the nation no favor.

Cooky

Veteran Member
from your article:

Under Trump, we have seen that a president without the gifts of knowledge and judgment is ill-served by ignoring advice from the grownups in the room. By relying on his own instincts in a phone call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the president greatly strengthened the hands of Iran, Russia and ISIS while shaking our allies’ faith in America’s judgment.

The heavy costs of ignoring sound advice may lead the next president to reaffirm respect for the “deep state.” But if respect becomes veneration, if the next president does not know how and where to look for alternatives to the consensus, that could well lead to a new series of destructive policies. A president without the ability to thoughtfully contest the conventional wisdom, without the ability to argue for new alternatives to old problems, does the office and the nation no favor.

All just like JFK..! Who even went so far as to stand up against the fed.

Another similarity is that they were both strongly disliked by many, even though their policies favored the middle class.

sooda

Veteran Member
Obviously! Did you just realize this?

I'm referring to certain aspects of their policies and preferences. Not their personalities. Clearly.

Kennedy did have policies.. Trump shoots from the hip. Trump will say anything to whoever his audience is in the moment.

You dishonor JFK with any comparison to Trump.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Kennedy did have policies.. Trump shoots from the hip. Trump will say anything to whoever his audience is in the moment.

You dishonor JFK with any comparison to Trump.

That's just your subjective opinion. I've offered some concrete examples.

...Besides nobody ever said that they were the exact same in every way. Or that they needed to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Baloney.....

Show me.

...I can show you how Trump took on China against globalization and the abandonment of the American middle working class. How we have high employment rates now and a good market. All things the left and neo-con right don't work towards directly - only indirectly - or are held at lower priorities to the interests of the extremely wealthy or dirt poor immigrant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. are bad, but enforcing an artificial diversity at the expense of merit, skills, experience, ideas, etc. isn't the solution.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You think the problem is that they are white and male? I think they are simply too old... like Trump and Hillary are too old.
Personally at age 74, I know firsthand that I have less energy than I did 10 years ago. So I prefer someone younger.

Shad

Veteran Member

I never said that. I said that is what I have read from so-called Progressives.