• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stories Trees Tell

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When was the last time you asked a tree to tell its story?

For scientists in the accelerating field of studying tree rings, this is a regular occurrence. Most of you are probably familiar with how trees tell stories about the climate or their growing season based on their rings, but this field has become something truly remarkable recently:

"Research involving tree rings is divided into three main categories — dendroclimatology, the analysis of tree rings for past climate data; dendroarchaeology, the study of tree rings to understand how past climate affected human societies; and dendroecology, which reconstructs past forest ecosystems. The most common tree rings studied come from bristlecone pine, fir and spruce.

At this particular time, the most essential role for tree rings is probably their use in reconstructing past climate and providing much greater context. “The instrumental period provides a snapshot,” of past climate, said David Meko, a researcher here, “but the tree rings are a panorama.”

This window into the deep climate past has become vital in a rapidly warming world, to show how the climate of the last half-century is far outside the historical norms going back thousands of years."
From - Chronicles of the Rings: What Trees Tell Us

In folklore, trees are often symbols of wisdom and knowledge; their potential for long life gives them a perspective we humans lack. Long term data sets like those from trees are incredibly valuable. We're getting better at listening to the stories trees can tell us and now we have an International Tree Ring Data Bank for all who are interested to study. Cool!

Mostly just wanted to share, but feel free to comment on the article or other aspects related to the stories trees have to tell. :D

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Not just tree rings, by the way. An analysis of tree pollen is often one of the first steps to learning about an ancient environment. The pollen gives an overall picture of the species around at the time. If you can then find actual specimens to get tree ring data from, you get a much more detailed picture, often year-by-year.

/E: Also grass pollen. That can tell a lot.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Not just tree rings, by the way. An analysis of tree pollen is often one of the first steps to learning about an ancient environment. The pollen gives an overall picture of the species around at the time. If you can then find actual specimens to get tree ring data from, you get a much more detailed picture, often year-by-year.

The last time I asked a tree to tell me a story I was hit by an errant branch that I didn't hear coming. I guess you could say that tale fell on deaf ears....hahahahaha....

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I like to listen to trees. I know it sounds silly. But I do.

Technically I'm looking at how the moss is growing; which direction the branches are thickest. How many branches litter the ground, and what other plants are growing around them.

I also like the way trees smell, and watching them blossom, and watching their new growth as they seem to wake up each spring.

It's non-verbal communication. But it feels like a conversation. :rolleyes::)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

For scientists in the accelerating field of studying tree rings, this is a regular occurrence. Most of you are probably familiar with how trees tell stories about the climate or their growing season based on their rings, but this field has become something truly remarkable recently:

"Research involving tree rings is divided into three main categories — dendroclimatology, the analysis of tree rings for past climate data; dendroarchaeology, the study of tree rings to understand how past climate affected human societies; and dendroecology, which reconstructs past forest ecosystems. The most common tree rings studied come from bristlecone pine, fir and spruce.

At this particular time, the most essential role for tree rings is probably their use in reconstructing past climate and providing much greater context. “The instrumental period provides a snapshot,” of past climate, said David Meko, a researcher here, “but the tree rings are a panorama.”

This window into the deep climate past has become vital in a rapidly warming world, to show how the climate of the last half-century is far outside the historical norms going back thousands of years."
From - Chronicles of the Rings: What Trees Tell Us

In folklore, trees are often symbols of wisdom and knowledge; their potential for long life gives them a perspective we humans lack. Long term data sets like those from trees are incredibly valuable. We're getting better at listening to the stories trees can tell us and now we have an International Tree Ring Data Bank for all who are interested to study. Cool!

Mostly just wanted to share, but feel free to comment on the article or other aspects related to the stories trees have to tell. :D
I love all trees. I have several 200 year old pines that I actually hug when I visit them. I like to imagine all they have seen. :)
It is really amazing how much they cool the temperature on a hot day. They also slow the wind.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that! Just goes to show plant sex is way more important than human sex. :D

I like to listen to trees. I know it sounds silly. But I do.

Nah. You're commenting in a thread written by a Druid after all. Conversations with "nature spirits" (gods, to me) is part and parcel with my religious practice. Some days that looks like studying natural history, other times it's just getting outside and paying attention, or things that are a bit more esoteric.

Last edited:

siti

Conversations with "nature spirits" (gods, to me) is part and parcel with my religious practice. Some days that looks like studying natural history, other times it's just getting outside and paying attention, or things that are a bit more esoteric.
Great thread! I sometimes listen to the trees singing - they each have their own distinctive voice. And I am very fortunate to have a splendid big old rainbow eucalyptus just a few yards in front of my office window at work. I am also fascinated by the way trees communicate with one another through chemical signals and through the branching networks of their root systems and filamentous fungi that connect entire forest ecosystems to an 'information superhighway' that was 'invented' by nature hundreds of millions of years before Tim Berners-Lee was born. Trees are indeed incredibly 'cool' in so many ways.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We live in an area that is mostly forest. The trees around us sing and shout, creak and groan. It all depends on the wind, sometimes they whisper, sometimes they roar. And there are times they keep their own council

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Over half a century ago I studied for the entrance examination to the Institute of Wood Science (UK), and back then dendrochronology as used for dating various remains was the main subject concerning tree-rings, but as you have shown, climate history is a main interest now.

But for researching even further beyond, augured ice, clay, mud and other mediums deliver just as astonishing findings.

It's just a question of whether our research science can convince us that our industrial and commercial science has to change..... in time.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We had a tree on my farm that had grown around a horseshoe. I bet that horseshoe had some stories.

In India Banyans are amazing. Aspen groves are often actually just one organism, as the root system is much like the Banyan, other than it's all underground. They (aspens) spread by runners. Just so much we don't know.

Jedster

9484593.jpg

Some ancient trees near where I am presently living.
They are called Gog & Magog.
"Known as the ‘Oaks of Avalon’, the two trees are said to be a traditional point of entry onto the island, and were also part of a ceremonial Druidic avenue of oak trees running towards the Tor and beyond. ‘This avenue was cut down around 1906 to clear the ground of a farm, but someone from the timber firm remembers one of the oaks being 11 feet in diameter and more than 2000 season rings were counted.’ Extract from Maker of Myths – Published by Gothic Image. The Glastonbury Conservation Society has recently replanted a line of oak trees to commemorate this ancient tradition."
Gog & Magog