• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "something can't come from nothing" argument

Thana

Lady
I have seen this argument branded about to somewhat discredit evolution (I am lost as to why persons think this have anything to do with evolution, but that's another story). But I would put it to "creationists" that it is you who are advocating that something indeed came out of nothing. Let's forget the "who created God" question for a while; you (usually) advocate that God created everything..ok.

So here is my question: What did God uses to create the VERY FIRST thing that he created? Wouldn't that FIRST thing had to be created from ....nothing?? For example, if he created dirt first, what did he create that dirt from (since dirt would be the first thing created, there wouldn't be any other "something" around; would there)?

See, your argument that God created everything cannot, in my opinion, work unless you are advocating the "something actually came from nothing."

I suppose the theory would go something like this.
God wasn't created. God is a being that has always been. Something that wasn't born, But something that has always existed.

Then Earth came from God, Just like Adam came from earth, And Eve from Adam.
So suppose that earth, the universe etc is actually just a piece of God.
That light, Water, minerals, humans, animals etc are actually pieces of God.

Anyway, That's just a theory but I think it encompasses everything you asked.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I suppose the theory would go something like this.
God wasn't created. God is a being that has always been. Something that wasn't born, But something that has always existed.
The second you allow for something to be exempt from from the rule is the same second you undermine the rule.

If god can be an exception, then why can't the universe also be an exception?
How do you propose to show that the universe cannot be an exception in such a manner that would not include god?

Thana

Lady
The second you allow for something to be exempt from from the rule is the same second you undermine the rule.

If god can be an exception, then why can't the universe also be an exception?
How do you propose to show that the universe cannot be an exception in such a manner that would not include god?

But is a God not exempt from all the rules?
I mean, If he created the rules, Then he also has the ability not to follow them.

But... I see your point.
However, Who said the universe has also not always been?
Perhaps it is God, Or a large part of God, etc.

There are many theories that can be made concerning this subject that are not able to be disproven (Yet. For all you lovely Athiests out there ;) )

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
But is a God not exempt from all the rules?
I mean, If he created the rules, Then he also has the ability not to follow them.
In a logical argument you can't assume that the same thing you're making an argument for is the very same thing that is except for the rules in the argument. I think it's called special pleading fallacy or begging the question.

Thana

Lady
In a logical argument you can't assume that the same thing you're making an argument for is the very same thing that is except for the rules in the argument. I think it's called special pleading fallacy or begging the question.

Unless you're talking about an all powerful being that can do anything and everything imaginable.

Kinda makes it hard to fit Him into a box of logic and reason.

McBell

Unless you're talking about an all powerful being that can do anything and everything imaginable.
Then why bother using the rule in the first place?

Kinda makes it hard to fit Him into a box of logic and reason.

It seems to me it is rather illogical and unreasonable to use logic and reason to describe/define a being that is not bound by the logic and reason you employ to describe/define him.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have seen this argument branded about to somewhat discredit evolution (I am lost as to why persons think this have anything to do with evolution, but that's another story). But I would put it to "creationists" that it is you who are advocating that something indeed came out of nothing. Let's forget the "who created God" question for a while; you (usually) advocate that God created everything..ok.

So here is my question: What did God uses to create the VERY FIRST thing that he created? Wouldn't that FIRST thing had to be created from ....nothing?? For example, if he created dirt first, what did he create that dirt from (since dirt would be the first thing created, there wouldn't be any other "something" around; would there)?

See, your argument that God created everything cannot, in my opinion, work unless you are advocating the "something actually came from nothing."

I believe Spirit before substance.

Let there be light...is synonymous to..."I AM!"

Those who understand will know whose law this is....
so He said to Moses.

McBell

I believe Spirit before substance.

Let there be light...is synonymous to..."I AM!"

Those who understand will know whose law this is....
so He said to Moses.

What does this have to do with the post you replied to?

idav

Being
Premium Member

One supernatural event is hard to believe but two events of nothing to something is a bit much. God came from nothing and then what he manges to create out of nothing. Maybe god just existed so he blew himself up.

idav

Being
Premium Member
and you already know I have no religion or dogmatic belief....
I believe in God for cause and reason.
Your close to dogmatic dualism. You preach it enough. Sure there may be cause and reason to speculate.