• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sin Of Sex Before Marriage

Skwim

Veteran Member

Curious as to what the Bible has to say about single people having sex (sexual intercourse) I Googled the same and took the first (most promising?) site to show up, which turns out to be:

"Does the Bible teach that sex before marriage is a sin? A lot of people aren’t sure. This is because we live in a world of tweets and quick soundbites where people rarely have enough time for context.

The thinking often goes: If there is no Bible verse that answers my question, then the Bible must not have an answer to my question. I used to get asked this question often when I did college campus ministry, and I still hear it as a pastor.

Where exactly does the Bible call sex before marriage a sin? Here are several verses to consider.

1. 1 Corinthians 7:2
“But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.”

2. Hebrews 13:4
“Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.”

3. Acts 15:19-20
“Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God, but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality....”

4. 1 Corinthians 5:1
“It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife.”

5. Galatians 5:19-21
“Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

6. 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God….”

7. 1 Corinthians 7:8-9
“To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.”

8. Genesis 2:24-25
“Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.”

9. 1 Corinthians 6:18-20
“Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”

Gotta say, I don't see a single denouncement of sex between single people in any of the given verses, or that it constitutes a sin. Of course this doesn't matter because where there's an agenda to fulfill one can make of the scriptures whatever one likes. Hence we have inane double talk like:

A Christian is to refrain from sexual intercourse with other people because Christians belong not to themselves, but to God. We have been given the great gift of God indwelling us—the Holy Spirit lives within us—so when we join ourselves to others through one-night stands we are violating both our own body and the Lord who has purchased us by pouring out his own body and blood for us.

And absurd notions such as:

If you've had sex before marriage, all hope is not lost. God is more than able to forgive you of all of your sins—even the sin of having sex before or outside of marriage.
Please note that in the introduction to the nine, the author doesn't claim they say sex between single people is a sin, but pulls his punches and says "Here are several verses to consider." Well, I read them, and consider them irrelevant.

Some here may wonder what difference does it make to an agnostic like myself? Well, personally it doesn't; however, it's the duplicitous manipulation of honest believers such as this that rankles my sense of honesty and fair play. Its one more reason to be careful what ministers, priests, rabbis, pastors, and such tell you, particularly when they interpret the "word of god."

Go and fornicate my child. You have my blessing.

Ellen Brown

I'd simply say that intercourse that leads to pregnancy and not then to marriage is an issue to me.

Generally speaking, there should be one wife per husband, but I don't think a widow should suffer alone. Polygamy in this case, might be permissible but I have heard of cases, even among the early Mormons where there was lots of pain. I just don't think that a woman in a marriage will tolerate another woman.

Axe Elf

Prophet
This is what, like the tenth thread you've started on this same topic?

I keep telling you, sex before marriage is impossible in the Xian tradition, because if you have sex with someone, you have created a marriage relationship. So the question of whether or not it's "ok" is irrelevant.

If a man has sex with an unmarried woman, he is now her husband. If a man has sex with a woman who is already married (to someone else), then they have committed adultery. If a man has sex with his mother or an animal or another man, then you have the sexual immorality alluded to in the cited verses above.

Pre-marital sex just isn't an option; that's why the Bible doesn't mention it.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
This is what, like the tenth thread you've started on this same topic?

I keep telling you, sex before marriage is impossible in the Xian tradition, because if you have sex with someone, you have created a marriage relationship. So the question of whether or not it's "ok" is irrelevant.

If a man has sex with an unmarried woman, he is now her husband. If a man has sex with a woman who is already married (to someone else), then they have committed adultery. If a man has sex with his mother or an animal or another man, then you have the sexual immorality alluded to in the cited verses above.

Pre-marital sex just isn't an option; that's why the Bible doesn't mention it.

What he said!

He is 100% correct. A clean cut simple and well executed explanation! Kudos! @Axe Elf

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I just don't think that a woman in a marriage will tolerate another woman.
Here in India, some rich people had more than one wife (generally two except in case of kings and nawabs) - and they lived together happily. The elder wife had the authority and was given much respect by everyone, even by the younger wife. Usually her son became the head of the family. The problem is because of the biological differences between genders. Sure, there was no peace in the family if they acted like competitors.

Pre-marital sex was prohibited in Hinduism also for many reasons, health and psychological. But marriage took place at an early age giving no time for pre-marital sex. My grandma was 7 years of age when she was married and my grandpa was 14. Of course, she came to the family only well after puberty.

Last edited:

Iymus

Curious as to what the Bible has to say about single people having sex (sexual intercourse) I Googled the same and took the first (most promising?) site to show up, which turns out to be:

"Does the Bible teach that sex before marriage is a sin? A lot of people aren’t sure. This is because we live in a world of tweets and quick soundbites where people rarely have enough time for context.

The thinking often goes: If there is no Bible verse that answers my question, then the Bible must not have an answer to my question. I used to get asked this question often when I did college campus ministry, and I still hear it as a pastor.

Where exactly does the Bible call sex before marriage a sin? Here are several verses to consider.

“But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.”

“Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.”

“Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God, but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality....”

“It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife.”

“Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God….”

“To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.”

“Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.”

“Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”

Gotta say, I don't see a single denouncement of sex between single people in any of the given verses, or that it constitutes a sin. Of course this doesn't matter because where there's an agenda to fulfill one can make of the scriptures whatever one likes. Hence we have inane double talk like:

A Christian is to refrain from sexual intercourse with other people because Christians belong not to themselves, but to God. We have been given the great gift of God indwelling us—the Holy Spirit lives within us—so when we join ourselves to others through one-night stands we are violating both our own body and the Lord who has purchased us by pouring out his own body and blood for us.

If you've had sex before marriage, all hope is not lost. God is more than able to forgive you of all of your sins—even the sin of having sex before or outside of marriage.
Please note that in the introduction to the nine, the author doesn't claim they say sex between single people is a sin, but pulls his punches and says "Here are several verses to consider." Well, I read them, and consider them irrelevant.

Some here may wonder what difference does it make to an agnostic like myself? Well, personally it doesn't; however, it's the duplicitous manipulation of honest believers such as this that rankles my sense of honesty and fair play. Its one more reason to be careful what ministers, priests, rabbis, pastors, and such tell you, particularly when they interpret the "word of god."

From what I have read, single people having sex is supposed to be a consummation of marriage.
So single people have sex with multiple partners could be considered Whoredom or / and Adultery which are types of Fornication or Unlawful Intimacy.

Skwim

Veteran Member
From what I have read, single people having sex is supposed to be a consummation of marriage.
You mean to say that should two single people have sex they are then supposed to be married?

So single people have sex with multiple partners could be considered Whoredom or / and Adultery which are types of Fornication or Unlawful Intimacy.
OUCH!

Iymus

You mean to say that should two single people have sex they are then supposed to be married?

OUCH!

Yes. Supposed to be. However this is something you have already heard about or are familiar with.

Initial sex is seen as an end result and finalization of marriage. A womans hymen being pierced with the blood being shed is seen as a covenant between her and the partner she gave herself to.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Yes. Supposed to be. However this is something you have already heard about or are familiar with.

Initial sex is seen as an end result and finalization of marriage. A womans hymen being pierced with the blood being shed is seen as a covenant between her and the partner she gave herself to.
And when there's no hymen to be pierced with the blood being shed then what?

Iymus

And when there's no hymen to be pierced with the blood being shed then what?

Still, Initial sex is seen as an end result and finalization of marriage. But because the way society there is no benefit speaking of this subject. We as people will do what we want to do.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Still, Initial sex is seen as an end result and finalization of marriage.
By some for sure, but hardly by many.

About 3% of Americans wait until marriage to have sex
(successfully)

how-many-people-wait.png

In other words 97% of Americans have sex before getting married.

In highly religious groups, up to 20% wait until marriage successfully
abstinence-churches-statistics.png

In other words 80 % of highly religious Americans have sex before getting married.
source

Skwim

Veteran Member
Still, Initial sex is seen as an end result and finalization of marriage. But because the way society there is no benefit speaking of this subject. We as people will do what we want to do.
Of course some will wait, but for sure many will not.

About 3% of Americans wait until marriage to have sex (successfully)

sex before marriage.png

Which means that 97% of Americans don't wait until marriage to have sex.

Which means that 80% of highly religious Americans don't wait until marriage to have sex.

Last edited:

Iymus

Of course some will wait, but for sure many will not.

About 3% of Americans wait until marriage to have sex (successfully)

View attachment 36309

Which means that 97% of Americans don't wait until marriage to have sex.

Which means that 80% of highly religious Americans don't wait until marriage to have sex.

Seems like you are saying or implying that because the majority of us do it or have done it then it should be fine. Perhaps if the 97% like us did not discourage or shame the 3% in some way, shape, form or fashion; then it would be much higher than 3% in America that wait.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Perhaps if the 97% like us did not discourage or shame the 3% in some way, shape, form or fashion; then it would be much higher than 3% in America that wait.
I don't see how totally abstaining before marriage is a particularly good thing. It just means you don't know what you're committing to, for life. Rather like buying a car because the advertising makes it look like an attractive model.

Back in the olden days most marriages barely reached 20th anniversary. Life spans were relatively short, one or the other partner probably wouldn't see their 35th birthday. And gender roles were firmly fixed. Regardless of what the spouses wanted, they were forced to perform the roles society gave them.

Things are much improved now. It's much more important that the spouses are really compatible. If you're going to commit to a 50 year relationship, sharing a home and a bed and your families for at least a few months, before committing, seems like the responsible thing to do. And having at least a little experience, including sex, before that as well.

Marrying as a virgin, or marrying a virgin, doesn't seem responsible in the 21st century.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
Seems like you are saying or implying that because the majority of us do it or have done it then it should be fine.
You're reading far too much into my post. There is absolutely no "should" stated or even implied.

. Perhaps if the 97% like us did not discourage or shame the 3% in some way, shape, form or fashion; then it would be much higher than 3% in America that wait.
Perhaps.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd simply say that intercourse that leads to pregnancy and not then to marriage is an issue to me.

Generally speaking, there should be one wife per husband, but I don't think a widow should suffer alone. Polygamy in this case, might be permissible but I have heard of cases, even among the early Mormons where there was lots of pain. I just don't think that a woman in a marriage will tolerate another woman.
Depends on the cultural values she was raised with. A wife might even ask for another wife to help with the work.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
At first I felt multiple wives to be kind of fun.

Now that I'm married to one woman, I discovered that one is enough. *Grin*

Faithofchristian

There's one thing you didn't say..
Man's teachings..
Its man's teachings that people follow more than they do the bible it's self,.

The only sin in marriage is when the man or woman goes outside of their marriage and have sex with someone else..
That's called in the Bible (Adultery.)

This is for those people who use this verse
To try enforce sex outside of Marriage is committing sin of adultery.
Notice what Jesus Christ said here.
Matthew 5:28---"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart"

This is that verse that is taken so many times out of it's context in Christianity, because of man's teachings in the churches.

If you notice ( adultery)
How can a man/woman commit adultery who is single?
If single person man/woman never look upon another to lust to have them as their girlfriend or boyfriend exactly how would anyone get married..
Two people who are single comes to together
By looking upon the other in lust that brings forth their desire in wanting to be with them as their boyfriend/girlfriend. Then marriage comes forth.
My point being made is. That two people who are single can not commit sin of adultery.
That only pertains to Marriage.
To commit adultery is between the
Man/ woman who is married.
Not single.

If I being single. Looks upon a woman to lust after her to have her as my girlfriend or wife.
How is that committing adultery?
Now remember I'm single.Ok.

There are many examples in the Bible where two people who are single man/woman spent the night together. Which wasn't considered committing the sin of adultery.
Why is that?
Because they were not married..but single.

I'm not mentioning who they are in the Bible.
For a good reason..I want those who say sex before marriage is committing the sin of adultery.
Then I will bring forth from the bible to show those the error of what they say.
That say having sex before marriage is committing sin of adultery.

Anyone care to challenge this. Who say sex before marriage is committing sin of adultery

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If I being single. Looks upon a woman to lust after her to have her as my girlfriend or wife.
How is that committing adultery?
Now remember I'm single.Ok.

Notice what Jesus Christ said here.
Matthew 5:28---"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart"

Your question is answered by the Bible quote. Consider in this that God is more friendly to us than we are to our own selves, so do not be so harsh in judgement of one own self, just keep trying to become better in mind and actions.

It takes practice to clean up our mind as sex has become such a distraction, it is difficult to put it back into a healthy perspective.

The Baha'i writings confirm that a race of men will come where their thoughts will conform to the passage in the Bible you have quoted, this is asked of us and the passage stands.

It is now a challenge for us to implement it into our thoughts and actions. Life is not about Lust, it is about finding the Love between our hearts, finding the good in each of us.

Regards Tony