• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The sick concept of Eternal hell suffering.

Sees

Dragonslayer
And the Almighty would then be the term of choice?
(regardless of the characteristics you might attribute to Him)

A rose is a rose by any name right?

Even if Almighty, what is the requirement for oppression and domination? I have the ability to keep my dogs chained to a door all day, kick them when the mood strikes, brutally murder them, etc. same as with POW's...why do it?

The cruel tyrant is the worst of us, our primitive, ugly, sick side that manifests in those we wouldn't call great or fulfilled. Why would we assume beautiful, intelligent, wise beyond words Divinity is more like the worst of us and most primitive of us?

To me it's just poorly constructed, culturally biased reflection of bygone times.

The problems people develop in their theology stem from trying to combine mean, jealous King/Emperor with loving, perfected, supremely intelligent Parent figure.

Tyrant and eternal punisher doesn't go well with smart, compassionate parent who would use positive reinforcement and a gentle guiding hand/advice - by measly modern standards.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Shall we consider?....do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

As the Spirit was First....and His creation would follow....
Then what we display as our nature awaits each one of us.

Perhaps the Rule is greater than we are?

So if God seems rash in His dealings with Man...was it not Man at fault?

If the dog harms your child...what do you do about it?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Me, makes the Mormon idea of going off to rule your own planet kind of appealing.

Now assuming I gave the people of that planet freewill, I could see promoting the idea of eternal hell just to limit some of the raping, pillaging and debauchery likely to go on.

A thought we all share at one time or another.
Maybe so...
Why not?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is not (for the 1 millionth time) the "Mormon idea." This is the non-Mormon caricature of the "Mormon idea."

Is or is not the thinking that Mormons believe they can become like God?

If that is the case, then being God-like could they not create a universe of their own to populate with planets and people?

If this is the case then I think the inference is not unreasonable.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A thought we all share at one time or another.
Maybe so...
Why not?

If this were the case then it is not unreasonable to think that "God", our God happen to be a Mormon from another universe.

Ok, maybe creative thinking on my part. I'll accept that judgement, but this seems much what creation stories are about.

The only reason to reason to find this reasonable is because it make sense according to other stories a person may have heard.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Is or is not the thinking that Mormons believe they can become like God?

If that is the case, then being God-like could they not create a universe of their own to populate with planets and people?

If this is the case then I think the inference is not unreasonable.
I'd say it's just kind of an exaggeration to imply that it's all going to happen in the foreseeable future. I mean, yeah, over a time span of perhaps a few hundred trillion years, it's possible to become like God. In fact, that should be the goal of every Christian. This post kind of puts the doctrine in perspective.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If this were the case then it is not unreasonable to think that "God", our God happen to be a Mormon from another universe.
Far as I know, there have never been Mormons from any other universes. ;) We're strictly earthlings.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'd say it's just kind of an exaggeration to imply that it's all going to happen in the foreseeable future. I mean, yeah, over a time span of perhaps a few hundred trillion years, it's possible to become like God. In fact, that should be the goal of every Christian. This post kind of puts the doctrine in perspective.

Thank you for the clarification.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Now assuming I gave the people of that planet freewill, I could see promoting the idea of eternal hell just to limit some of the raping, pillaging and debauchery likely to go on.
Don't do it. Does the threat of prison stop people from doing evil? No. The best policy is when God used to strike sinners down on the spot. Get rid of them. Make them an example. Or, even better, do the Clockwork Orange therapy on them. Make them sick and in pain every time they think of doing something wrong. Listen, you can learn from God's mistakes, don't repeat them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Don't do it. Does the threat of prison stop people from doing evil? No. The best policy is when God used to strike sinners down on the spot. Get rid of them. Make them an example. Or, even better, do the Clockwork Orange therapy on them. Make them sick and in pain every time they think of doing something wrong. Listen, you can learn from God's mistakes, don't repeat them.

Yes, probably right. The original idea of Hell was one of redemption. A soul in hell could redeem themselves.

The story of eternal hell was derive by Christian from the NT. I would hope if there were in truth to the story of Jesus he meant "eternity" figuratively. Their suffering would seem an eternity. However once fair payment had been made they would be redeemed.

Is it fair to pay for the suffering caused by experiencing that same suffering?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Yes, probably right. The original idea of Hell was one of redemption. A soul in hell could redeem themselves.

The story of eternal hell was derive by Christian from the NT. I would hope if there were in truth to the story of Jesus he meant "eternity" figuratively. Their suffering would seem an eternity. However once fair payment had been made they would be redeemed.

Is it fair to pay for the suffering caused by experiencing that same suffering?
Did hell ever bother you? It really doesn't bother me, because the only ones making a big deal about it seem to be Christians. I've talked to Jews, no hell. I was a Baha'i for awhile, no hell. As a concept to make Jesus God and Savior, it's great. Choose Jesus and live in bliss. Reject him and burn in hell. Seems like a no brainer. Yet, why do so many of us choose not to follow Jesus? Could it be because of sick concepts like eternal hell fire make it too unbelievable to be true? That's why I don't believe.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Bow down and worship me or i'll torture you... Sounds kind of like ego to me.:sarcastic

I believe worshipping God is the only way to be good and that it is evil which is punished. If I take a carpentry class from a master carpenter then I should be able to see his knowledgte of carpentry as truth rather than a puffed up sense of self.
If I destroy things rather than build them then it makes sense to me for the teacher to throw me out of his class.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Did hell ever bother you? It really doesn't bother me, because the only ones making a big deal about it seem to be Christians. I've talked to Jews, no hell. I was a Baha'i for awhile, no hell. As a concept to make Jesus God and Savior, it's great. Choose Jesus and live in bliss. Reject him and burn in hell. Seems like a no brainer. Yet, why do so many of us choose not to follow Jesus? Could it be because of sick concepts like eternal hell fire make it too unbelievable to be true? That's why I don't believe.

Let me get this straight. I believe you are saying that you don't follow Jesus because He talks of sending people who don't believe in Him to hell. So what does that make it, a desire to go to hell? or a desire to ignore reality in hopes that that it doesn't exist?

Quirkybird

Let me get this straight. I believe you are saying that you don't follow Jesus because He talks of sending people who don't believe in Him to hell. So what does that make it, a desire to go to hell? or a desire to ignore reality in hopes that that it doesn't exist?

There is NO reality about heaven or hell as there is no evidence to support the existence of an afterlife. Jesus might have believed in it, but he knew no more about the topic than any other human before or since.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There is NO reality about heaven or hell as there is no evidence to support the existence of an afterlife. Jesus might have believed in it, but he knew no more about the topic than any other human before or since.

There's not going to be any evidence.

But the likelihood of all 7billion people failing to survive the last breath seems odd to me.

No survivors?....chances are billion to none?

So then Man is a mystery without purpose or cause.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian

That means I would rather burn in hell along with all of the other good, moral, non-believing people , than be forced to bow before the tyrant who threw them there.
I'd rather sit in hell with all of the other "heathens" like Buddha, Ghandi, Virgil, and Carl Sagan. It certainly beats sitting in heaven with the Westboro Baptist Church and the Ku Klux Klan. (Assuming that either heaven or hell exist, which there is absolutely no evidence for.)