• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Shack" - consistent with the Bible? *Christians Only*

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Last week the film adaption of "The Shack" opened in Germany, and I'm currently reading the book. I would like to know from Christian forum members at which points "The Shack" is not consistent with the Bible and why not.

Thanks for your replies!

pearl

The story's aim is not really biblical consistency. I think its more about Christian theology and beliefs.

'Still, on the whole, this is an intriguing endeavor to accomplish the same goal British poet John Milton set himself in writing his masterpiece, "Paradise Lost," namely, "to justify the ways of God to men."
'Overall, though, this is a serious effort to tackle the problem of evil from a Christian perspective that grown viewers of faith can, with a few reservations, welcome.'

A full review is here, from a Catholic perspective.

http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2017/the-shack.cfm

David1967

Premium Member
The story's aim is not really biblical consistency. I think its more about Christian theology and beliefs.

'Still, on the whole, this is an intriguing endeavor to accomplish the same goal British poet John Milton set himself in writing his masterpiece, "Paradise Lost," namely, "to justify the ways of God to men."
'Overall, though, this is a serious effort to tackle the problem of evil from a Christian perspective that grown viewers of faith can, with a few reservations, welcome.'

A full review is here, from a Catholic perspective.

http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2017/the-shack.cfm

Well said! I watched it and agree completely with your opinion about it. Whether a person agrees with the movies stance on God/Trinity, it does address the hard questions about the goodness of God and why He doesn't intervene in the most evil happenings.

pearl

Whether a person agrees with the movies stance on God/Trinity, it does address the hard questions about the goodness of God and why He doesn't intervene in the most evil happenings.

It reminds me of a phrase many use when expressing gratitude for some evil not befalling them, 'but for the grace of God, go I'.
It wrongly assumes, even though it may be unintentional, that the other is somehow 'out' of God's grace.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Last week the film adaption of "The Shack" opened in Germany, and I'm currently reading the book. I would like to know from Christian forum members at which points "The Shack" is not consistent with the Bible and why not.

Thanks for your replies!

The Shack book and film take terrible liberties with basic, sound doctrine, redemption and salvation. A train wreck!

pearl

The Shack book and film take terrible liberties with basic, sound doctrine, redemption and salvation. A train wreck!

A 'train wreck' in understanding the Trinity today is the one divine nature (physis, ousia, essence, substance) in the three divine persons (hypostases, subsistences, prosopa, relations).

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
A 'train wreck' in understanding the Trinity today is the one divine nature (physis, ousia, essence, substance) in the three divine persons (hypostases, subsistences, prosopa, relations).

I see--you are saying The Shack cleared this mess for humanity.