• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Science of Ghosts

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There's phenomina. Yet science can greatly expand on understanding the things which can take on an otherworldly flavor.

Its a fairly good vid and I think it should be encouraged to use science and critical thinking in understanding ghostly phenomina rather than touting pseudo science gimmicks and techniques like implementing digital evp recorders, flashlights, electrometers, infrared and night vision devices, ghostboxes, lasers, and other such devices as being real science when it's clearly not used in any scientific fashion whatsoever.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

The MacDougall experiment was invalid due to him excluding subjects that had no weight change or actually gained weight (which was 5/6), Also he claimed they lost two-tenths of an ounce not 21 grams. The variation could easily be accounted for by sweat glands in humans that the dogs he tested and had no weight difference after death do not possess.

Aside from that a very good video.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
There's phenomina. Yet science can greatly expand on understanding the things which can take on an otherworldly flavor.

Its a fairly good vid and I think it should be encouraged to use science and critical thinking in understanding ghostly phenomina rather than touting pseudo science gimmicks and techniques like implementing digital evp recorders, flashlights, electrometers, infrared and night vision devices, ghostboxes, lasers, and other such devices as being real science when it's clearly not used in any scientific fashion whatsoever.

#ghosthunters

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Study? :p Anyway, the first time I'd seen a ghost I was a happy little atheist. It looked as real as any other person, but in this case it was a boy in old time school clothes... I was walking into my kitchen to do something and for whatever reason I seen him walking up my driveway and toward my garage. I, however, didn't pay much attention to that because I was too busy trying to run out the door and yell at them in my best old man voice. I ran outside, and down the step, swung around to corner, ready to yell. And... NOPE... no one there... NADDA... at the pace he was moving there was just no where for him to go (there are cement walls, and such around the back of my property... no outlet...) Needless to say... I was in normal waking consciousness at the time and nothing else was going on.

With that information in hand... I have no doubt ghosts are walking around all the time and we haven't a damn clue. I couldn't have told you the difference between this ghost and any other Joe walking down the street. How's that for interesting? :)

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Study? :p Anyway, the first time I'd seen a ghost I was a happy little atheist. It looked as real as any other person, but in this case it was a boy in old time school clothes... I was walking into my kitchen to do something and for whatever reason I seen him walking up my driveway and toward my garage. I, however, didn't pay much attention to that because I was too busy trying to run out the door and yell at them in my best old man voice. I ran outside, and down the step, swung around to corner, ready to yell. And... NOPE... no one there... NADDA... at the pace he was moving there was just no where for him to go (there are cement walls, and such around the back of my property... no outlet...) Needless to say... I was in normal waking consciousness at the time and nothing else was going on.

With that information in hand... I have no doubt ghosts are walking around all the time and we haven't a damn clue. I couldn't have told you the difference between this ghost and any other Joe walking down the street. How's that for interesting? :)

Out of curiosity, have you ever taken a neurological evaluation?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
There are no such things as "ghosts"....for the simple reason that there is nothing that survives the death of the human body. The soul is the whole living, breathing organism according to the Bible's definition, so when the person dies, the soul dies. (Ezek 18:4)

The Bible speaks of "spirits" who inhabit an invisible realm, but they are not spirits of the dead. They are beings of a higher creation who are not material creatures, not composed of matter, like us.

The definition of the word "spirit" in the Bible (Greek, pneuʹma. Hebrew, ruʹach) is "wind" or "breath". In English we know that the word "pneumonia" pertains to a lung condition and "pneumatic" tires are full of air. Human lungs are also full of the air we breathe and it keeps us alive. When our "spirit" (last breath) leaves our body, we die. (Psalm 146:4) There is no more consciousness. We go back to the dust as God told Adam. (Gen 2:19; Eccl 9:5, 10) The Bible likens death to "sleeping". (John 11:11-14)

When Adam was created, he was not given a soul....when God gave Adam breath (spirit) he "became" a soul.
If Adam was told that he would go back to where he came from....where was Adam before God created him? Where were we before our parents created us? We all go back to the same place. We "sleep" waiting for Jesus to resurrect us, just like he did Lazarus. (John 5:28, 29)

Belief in an immortal soul came from Platonic Greek ideas that infiltrated Christianity in the early centuries when Greek culture was influential. It does not originate in the Bible, in fact it makes the Bible's teaching of a resurrection meaningless.

There are rebel spirits however, who want humans to believe that we don't really die. These can masquerade as the spirits of the dead in order to perpetuate the first lie that their leader ever told..."you surely will not die". God said we would...so who wasn't telling the truth? :shrug:

Milton Platt

How do you leap from He was there and then he was not to.....it was a ghost?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There are no such things as "ghosts"....for the simple reason that there is nothing that survives the death of the human body. The soul is the whole living, breathing organism according to the Bible's definition, so when the person dies, the soul dies. (Ezek 18:4)

The Bible speaks of "spirits" who inhabit an invisible realm, but they are not spirits of the dead. They are beings of a higher creation who are not material creatures, not composed of matter, like us.

The definition of the word "spirit" in the Bible (Greek, pneuʹma. Hebrew, ruʹach) is "wind" or "breath". In English we know that the word "pneumonia" pertains to a lung condition and "pneumatic" tires are full of air. Human lungs are also full of the air we breathe and it keeps us alive. When our "spirit" (last breath) leaves our body, we die. (Psalm 146:4) There is no more consciousness. We go back to the dust as God told Adam. (Gen 2:19; Eccl 9:5, 10) The Bible likens death to "sleeping". (John 11:11-14)

When Adam was created, he was not given a soul....when God gave Adam breath (spirit) he "became" a soul.
If Adam was told that he would go back to where he came from....where was Adam before God created him? Where were we before our parents created us? We all go back to the same place. We "sleep" waiting for Jesus to resurrect us, just like he did Lazarus. (John 5:28, 29)

Belief in an immortal soul came from Platonic Greek ideas that infiltrated Christianity in the early centuries when Greek culture was influential. It does not originate in the Bible, in fact it makes the Bible's teaching of a resurrection meaningless.

There are rebel spirits however, who want humans to believe that we don't really die. These can masquerade as the spirits of the dead in order to perpetuate the first lie that their leader ever told..."you surely will not die". God said we would...so who wasn't telling the truth? :shrug:

Ya know that some of us who seen ghost know they exist by experience without any type of book (nice voice) can convience us otherwise, right?

Its like depending on a book to believe in god. I think god would exist before anything written has been said and orally published to describe him.

If he exist before anything written, logically saying, why not ghosts?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
How do you leap from He was there and then he was not to.....it was a ghost?

Only logical conclusion provided with the evidence before me.

1) No where for said person to go. Even if they turned around and ran back down my driveway that's over a 150' they have to get through in a second or two. A kid just isn't moving this fast. At least without making some noise.

2) The fences are too high to jump/or are largely not passable via brush/shrubs.

3) Garage is large. You can't get past it, and takes some time to get around it.

4) The only other way to go was through me.

5) Kids clothes are not from this timezone. At the time, I sort of didn't think about it. But, Eddie Munster clothing on a kid sort of again backs up the idea.

6) I am a ghost show hater. I've never been a fan, I don't seek paranormal whatever to occur. If it occurs I don't really presume much about it other than weirdness.

Personally, I don't care whether you believe me or not. It is more interesting to read these little stories than an atheist wank fest. :)

Milton Platt

Ya know that some of us who seen ghost know they exist by experience without any type of book (nice voice) can convience us otherwise, right?

Its like depending on a book to believe in god. I think god would exist before anything written has been said and orally published to describe him.

Carlita, I do not dispute that you saw something (I was not there), I dispute what you think you saw.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Only logical conclusion provided with the evidence before me.

1) No where for said person to go. Even if they turned around and ran back down my driveway that's over a 150' they have to get through in a second or two. A kid just isn't moving this fast. At least without making some noise.

2) The fences are too high to jump/or are largely not passable via brush/shrubs.

3) Garage is large. You can't get past it, and takes some time to get around it.

4) The only other way to go was through me.

5) Kids clothes are not from this timezone. At the time, I sort of didn't think about it. But, Eddie Munster clothing on a kid sort of again backs up the idea.

6) I am a ghost show hater. I've never been a fan, I don't seek paranormal whatever to occur. If it occurs I don't really presume much about it other than weirdness.

Personally, I don't care whether you believe me or not. It is more interesting to read these little stories than an atheist wank fest. :)
Obviously he was a time traveler.

Milton Platt

Was talking to Deeje. He quotes the bible. I experienced seeing a ghost. The bible cant convinence me otherwise.

The Bible is irrelevant as far as I am concerned, as well. I was only pointing out that your argument was just an argument from ignorance, meaning you just decided to call what you saw a ghost. You have nothing to actually demonstrate that it was.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
It's not less likely.

Oh, you're one of those?

Ok, welp.... The short version is you're gonna tell yourself whatever crap helps you sleep at night. And, since that is something we aren't going to change here, it's obvious that I can find better things to do than waste my time.

The ghosts are real, the spirits are real, all the little demons are real, and there is probably more that I don't know even directly know about that is real. A man only has so much time... You're gonna think I am crazy, deluded, or have psychological problems or whatever. You're going to want proof, but even supplied a good proof you won't accept it -- you know because witnesses don't count as evidence... So again, what am I talking about?

Don't project some kind of belief mechanism on me, because I just don't have one. I just looked into the darkness and dove in... Other people spend a lot of time reading books and presuming that you can actually know something that way. It's just not the always the case... There is another world sitting right under your nose, but do I care if you believe it? No, I don't.

Don't mistake the fact that I enjoy sharing for some need for validation. I could give a crap less about what a bunch of cloistered gear-heads think who do nothing but dispute, read, and get sexually-aroused by academic papers.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Of course. Deception wouldn't be deception unless someone was deceived. :rolleyes: You "believe" in the existence of spirits? I do too.....but not in the same way that you do.

Do the deceived know that they are? If an evil spirit masqueraded as a good spirit...someone you know, and can tell you things that only that deceased person would know....can it not be deception? The demons have been around as long as we have...they know everything about everyone. They have an agenda and they are masters of propaganda.

We all depend on trust when it comes to knowledge. But God has his reasons for not allowing his people to "consult spirit mediums or to inquire of the dead" because he lists those things as "detestable" to him. (Deut 18:9-12)
That goes right past hatred into downright abhorrence! Why? If they were merely the spirits of departed loved ones, why would he do that?

There are spirits....but they are not spirits of the dead.....there are no souls who survive death. Can you prove otherwise? Can you state categorically that these spirits are who they claim to be? Aren't you just taking their word for it? The Bible says that they are out to deceive.....they have been very successful. :(

Milton Platt

Oh, you're one of those?

Ok, welp.... The short version is you're gonna tell yourself whatever crap helps you sleep at night. And, since that is something we aren't going to change here. It's obvious that I can find better things to do than waste my time.

The ghosts are real, the spirits are real, all the little demons are real, and there is probably more that I don't know even directly know about that is real. A man only has so much time... You're gonna think I am crazy, deluded, or have psychological problems or whatever. You're going to want proof, but even supplied a good proof you won't accept it -- you know because witnesses don't count as evidence... So again, what am I talking about?

Don't project some kind of belief mechanism on me, because I just don't have one. I just looked into the darkness and dove in... Other people spend a lot of time reading books and presuming that you can actually know something that way. It's just not the always the case... There is another world sitting right under your nose, but do I care if you believe it? No, I don't.

Don't mistake the fact that I enjoy sharing for some need for validation. I could give a crap less about what a bunch of cloistered gear-heads think who do nothing but dispute, read, and get sexually-aroused by academic papers.

Ad hominem attacks are the domain of those who have no evidence to support their beliefs.