• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Role of Women in establishing Peace

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Firstly, Peace and Goodwill to all mankind during this Christmas and Holiday Season!

We Baha'is believe that it will be primarily women that will establish world peace. So we wish to emphases and promote the concept of the equality of the genders. All quotes are from the Baha'i Sacred Scriptures.

"Assuredly woman will abolish warfare among mankind."

"The woman has greater moral courage than the man; she has also special gifts which enable her to govern in moments of danger and crisis."

"The world of humanity is possessed of two wings — the male and the female. So long as these two wings are not equivalent in strength the bird will not fly. Until womankind reaches the same degree as man, until she enjoys the same arena of activity, extraordinary attainment for humanity will not be realized; humanity cannot wing its way to heights of real attainment."

"Daughters and sons must follow the same curriculum of study,thereby promoting unity of the sexes. When all mankind shall receive the same opportunity of education and the equality of men and women be realized, the foundations of war will be utterly destroyed. Without equality this will be impossible because all differences and distinction are conducive to discord and strife. Equality between men and women is conducive to the abolition of warfare for the reason that women will never be willing to sanction it. Mothers will not give their sons as sacrifices upon the battlefield after twenty years of anxiety and loving devotion in rearing them from infancy, no matter what cause they are called upon to defend. There is no doubt that when women obtain equality of rights, war will entirely cease among mankind".

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Firstly, Peace and Goodwill to all mankind during this Christmas and Holiday Season!

We Baha'is believe that it will be primarily women that will establish world peace. So we wish to emphases and promote the concept of the equality of the genders. All quotes are from the Baha'i Sacred Scriptures.

"The woman has greater moral courage than the man; she has also special gifts which enable her to govern in moments of danger and crisis."

"The world of humanity is possessed of two wings — the male and the female. So long as these two wings are not equivalent in strength the bird will not fly. Until womankind reaches the same degree as man, until she enjoys the same arena of activity, extraordinary attainment for humanity will not be realized; humanity cannot wing its way to heights of real attainment."

"Daughters and sons must follow the same curriculum of study,thereby promoting unity of the sexes. When all mankind shall receive the same opportunity of education and the equality of men and women be realized, the foundations of war will be utterly destroyed. Without equality this will be impossible because all differences and distinction are conducive to discord and strife. Equality between men and women is conducive to the abolition of warfare for the reason that women will never be willing to sanction it. Mothers will not give their sons as sacrifices upon the battlefield after twenty years of anxiety and loving devotion in rearing them from infancy, no matter what cause they are called upon to defend. There is no doubt that when women obtain equality of rights, war will entirely cease among mankind".

That's not something that should be taken for granted. Far from that. Even though women tend to support war considerably less than men, it is not true they ( as in the whole group ) don't support it at all.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
That's not something that should be taken for granted. Far from that. Even though women tend to support war considerably less than men, it is not true they ( as in the whole group ) don't support it at all.

The problem is when do women ever have a full say in the matter of going to war? Women have never been asked or consulted about it. Just orders given by governments.

I believe if women were asked, the majority would be fiercely against war. But in the current climate women have no real say.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I'd quibble a lot (and I mean, A LOT) with how this is worded, and the over-generalisations. Raising women too high based on generalisations is harmful, if less harmful than many alternatives.

But I would say that the core of the message, that granting women equal access and rights, and that this will have a positive impact on the world, and specifically on world peace (and in my view, third world economies) is something I am completely on board with.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
The problem is when do women ever have a full say in the matter of going to war? Women have never been asked or consulted about it. Just orders given by governments.

I believe if women were asked, the majority would be fiercely against war. But in the current climate women have no real say.

They have already been polled though.

Just to give two examples:

Gender Gap Varies on Support for War
Men and Women’s Support For War: Accounting for the gender gap in public opinion

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Catherine the Great of Russia, Maria Theresa of Austria, Queen Boudica of the Iceni, Queen Elizabeth I, Cleopatra, Queen Dona Maria II of Portugal, Margaret Thatcher..

I can keep going if you'd like.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Catherine the Great of Russia, Maria Theresa of Austria, Queen Boudica of the Iceni, Queen Elizabeth I, Cleopatra, Queen Dona Maria II of Portugal, Margaret Thatcher..

I can keep going if you'd like.

Where are women collectively being represented? One woman. One monarchy or one authoritarian leader does not speak for the majority of women.

Women are by nature against war. It is their more aggressive counterparts which have been fighting these wars for thousands of years not women,

The reason no one can quote a large body of women who want war is because they cannot find one because women are not warmongers.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

Such polls are not representative of a cross section of humanity and we have only to look at Trumps polls to see how they can be wrong.

Also, if I was a woman in the USA or England or with the best army in the world, I might feel less apprehensive of my son being killed because of better equipment.

But women overall if given a vote will not support war.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Where are women collectively being represented? One woman. One monarchy or one authoritarian leader does not speak for the majority of women.
But the individual men who lead states into war somehow speak for the majority of men?

Women are by nature against war.
Citation needed.

It is their more aggressive counterparts which have been fighting these wars for thousands of years not women,
Citation needed, again.

The reason no one can quote a large body of women who want war is because they cannot find one because women are not warmongers.
You mean except for all the ones I can name that are, right? There aren't as many women to list because until recently, women weren't regularly leaders of states.

Yes, keep going.

Yes please list the thousands of women who just love to send their sons to war to return in body bags.
Joan of Arc, Empress Theodora of Byzantium, Indira Gandhi, Trung Trac and Trung Nhi of what is now Vietnam, and the countless women who have both started and led numberless revolts, rebellions, insurgencies and so on.

Women are not special. Nor are men. We're both perfectly capable and willing to employ the use of violence. Our differences in the long run boil down largely to cosmetic ones.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
But the individual men who lead states into war somehow speak for the majority of men?

Citation needed.

Citation needed, again.

You mean except for all the ones I can name that are, right? There aren't as many women to list because until recently, women weren't regularly leaders of states.

Joan of Arc, Empress Theodora of Byzantium, Indira Gandhi, Trung Trac and Trung Nhi of what is now Vietnam, and the countless women who have both started and led numberless revolts, rebellions, insurgencies and so on.

Women are not special. Nor are men. We're both perfectly capable and willing to employ the use of violence. Our differences in the long run boil down largely to cosmetic ones.

Women are special. They have a power of intuition men do not possess. They can bear children. They are mainly family oriented and less war inclined.

But women have no say in whether they agree with sending their sons to war or not. They have never had a say. The generals decide with the President. The mothers are excluded.

It has always been mostly men who decide to go to war with mainly men fighting them and the mothers who have to attend the funerals with wives receiving the news of their husbands death and the children who have had to remain fatherless.

Women do not have a say in this worlds affairs apart from the occasional leader. It is an aggressive, male dominated world with never ending wars.

We believe that if women had the same or equal power men now possess, war would have been abolished long ago.

I know you want proof but the fact is it's never been tried. We have never ever had women have equal status to men throughout the world so we cannot say it won't work until we've tried it.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Women are special. They have a power of intuition men do not possess. They can bear children. They are mainly family oriented and less war inclined.

But women have no say in whether they agree with sending their sons to war or not. They have never had a say. The generals decide with the President. The mothers are excluded.

It has always been mostly men who decide to go to war with mainly men fighting them and the mothers who have to attend the funerals with wives receiving the news of their husbands death and the children who have had to remain fatherless.
Except all the times women ran societies and states.

Women do not have a say in this worlds affairs apart from the occasional leader. It is an aggressive, male dominated world with never ending wars.
You're aware that societies have existed before the modern era, right? Again, historically that doesn't pan out.

We believe that if women had the same or equal power men now possess, war would have been abolished long ago.
You can believe whatever you want, facts say otherwise.

I know you want proof but the fact is it's never been tried. We have never ever had women have equal status to men throughout the world so we cannot say it won't work until we've tried it.
So tell me, why have matriarchal societies not eliminated war? Tacitus mentioned that Germania was largely matriarchal, and yet they were some of the most aggressive of Rome's neighbours. We've had matriarchal societies before. They were no less(or more) warlike than male ones.

JakofHearts

2 Tim 1.7
qOZtNMB.jpg

Makes you think.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Except all the times women ran societies and states.

You're aware that societies have existed before the modern era, right? Again, historically that doesn't pan out.

You can believe whatever you want, facts say otherwise.

So tell me, why have matriarchal societies not eliminated war? Tacitus mentioned that Germania was largely matriarchal, and yet they were some of the most aggressive of Rome's neighbours. We've had matriarchal societies before. They were no less(or more) warlike than male ones.

So you think that women would make no difference to peace in a world that is dominated by male aggression and endless wars?

You don't even want to give them a chance?

Why is our male dominated world always at each other's throats unable to end the bloodshed?

Half the human race don't have a voice against male domination and aggression and already you are saying they can't male a difference even without giving them a go.

Our male dominated world has never established peace so we are unable to do it. Maybe it's time we looked to women.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
So you think that women would make no difference to peace in a world that is dominated by male aggression and endless wars?

You don't even want to give them a chance?
Sure give it a chance. I don't care what kind of genitals or gender-identity the person has. If a woman is the best option for a world leader, please, do so. But it's not going to change anything. The problem is inherent in people, not just men and not just women.

Why is our male dominated world always at each other's throats unable to end the bloodshed?

Half the human race don't have a voice against male domination and aggression and already you are saying they can't male a difference even without giving them a go.

Our male dominated world has never established peace so we are unable to do it. Maybe it's time we looked to women.
Never heard of Pax Romana have you?

You keep making massive, sweeping generalizations. Why?

JakofHearts

2 Tim 1.7
The top group would be talking about their children and the bottom group about their nukes.
Don't misunderstand when I say that realistically, this is a man's world, and the only way there would be peace on earth is God willing through divine intervention, not giving women the reins. Look how well that went with Germany and Europe.

Your OP is wishful thinking.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Sure give it a chance. I don't care what kind of genitals or gender-identity the person has. If a woman is the best option for a world leader, please, do so. But it's not going to change anything. The problem is inherent in people, not just men and not just women.

Never heard of Pax Romana have you?

You keep making massive, sweeping generalizations. Why?

Women have always stayed at home mainly to care for the family and mostly haven't become involved in world affairs but now we need something different other than the male aggression that's dragged us from one world war to another, from one conflict to another.

Women are the key because they are not aggressive natured like man and mostly tender and do not hunger for war like man does. They are more concerned about family matters and would be ideal to be of much more influence upon the family of man.

There may have been a couple of centuries of relative peace but it never lasted. We need the aggressive male characteristics of our civilization to be balanced with the family caring attitude of the women. We need justice but also compassion and mercy.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Its quite a powerful statement and unusual given it was spoken by a leader of a religion.

Contrast for example Paul in the NT:

1 Corinthians 14:34-35, “As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church” (vv. 33-35).

Obviously much as changed in nearly 2000 years!

Clearly there are exceptions where women have ruled throughout the ages but on the whole it has been men in charge by reason of their more forceful qualities physically and of mind. But the balance is shifting.....

I'm proud to be a New Zealander, a country that is a modern democracy that was the first in the world to allow women the vote. That was in 1893 so not that long ago.

Did the Baha'i Faith arise from a modern democracy or even the enlightenment in Europe? Actually this religion arose from 19th Century Persia, a most repressive and backward empire. The religious clergy and Shah - all men were not too keen. An estimated 20,000 of the early adherents to this new religion were put to death in vain efforts to extinguish its light.

Last edited: