• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Right of the Man to Choose...

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
You seem to be avoiding the most important fact of all; having sex without any form of protection = the chance of 'making' a baby.

Having sex WITH protection = the chance of 'making' a baby!

Mine are named Eric and Ellen. :162::162:

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
The only point I would make is that the age of sexual maturity has been reducing over time; perhaps there is an onus on Society to teach sex and it's consequences at a younger age............

I don't know about society, but I started my kids about as soon as they were capable of understanding where babies come from. You don't have to get very detailed, and the younger they are, the more basic the explanation.

I think my kids were around 9 or 10 when I started teaching them about consequences. I remember some news show on, and my kids saw it, and I asked them how they would feel if they never knew their father. After they picked their eyeballs off the floor, I said that's what happens when you have sex outside the proper context in life -- people get hurt, and ESPECIALLY the kids.

When people have sex outside of marriage, there's a much greater risk of messing up kids.

You can call me old-fashioned, but I think there's a reason why millenia of human experience has come to the same basic conclusion about the place of sex in life.

Booko

Deviled Hen
pdoel said:
I think our current laws on this subject are WAY messed up.

Right now, all decisions fall on the female, but it seems like most of the responsibility falls on the male.

Well, I agree with some of this. Except the part about how most of the responsility falls on the male. You get it easy, generally speaking. All you have to do is make out the check. Meanwhile, Ms. Single Mom isn't exactly living high off your check and eating bon bons and watching soaps at home. She's busting her but working a job, taking care of your spawn, and keeping a home. You get to come home at night and watch the game in peace.

Yeah, I do know this is an oversimplification. But comparing the lives of single moms and dads who have to financially support their kids, dang, I'll take the man's part any day. It's much easier.

I already addressed some of your other points in another message. I do think the law is messed up in some ways, and unjust to men.

Booko

Deviled Hen
pdoel said:
How would women feel if they became pregnant, and desperately wanted the baby, but the husband said no, and it was off to the abortion clinic against her will.

I am the product of a middle-aged whoops, and a father that made his wife give her only chance for a child up for adoption. (Abortion was not legal at the time...lucky me I guess.)

What's your point?

I just don't think it should work that way. It took two people to make this happen. So I don't feel the decision should be 100% on the mother.

Neither do I.

Booko

Deviled Hen
evearael said:
I am not hostile towards adoption, but it's pretty crappy to grow up knowing your parents didn't love you...

Au contraire, evarael.

I am adopted, and unlike the rest of you un-adopted people, I actually know my parents loved me. They wouldn't have adopted me if they hadn't.

The rest of you might well have been nothing more than oopses.