• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Resurrection of Jesus Christ

QuestioningMind

Another skeptic's post - VOID of any evidence or credible argument against the resurrection. And if you contend the resurrection is a nonsensical claim, let's see your evidence why??

Do come back when you have something.

ROFL... no, I'm waiting for YOU to provide YOUR credible argument or evidence against my invisible magical dragon, first. Personally I think my claim about my dragon is FAR more credible than your ridiculous claim about a zombie god.

Spartan

ROFL... no, I'm waiting for YOU to provide YOUR credible argument or evidence against my invisible magical dragon, first. Personally I think my claim about my dragon is FAR more credible than your ridiculous claim about a zombie god.

Read the Gospels. Then Acts. Then these works so you won't remain so completely in the dark.

"The Historical Jesus," by scholar Dr. Gary Habermas;

“The Historical Jesus of the Gospels,” by Dr. Craig Keener

"New Evidence that Demands a Verdict," by former skeptic Josh McDowell;

"Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics," by Dr. Norman Geisler;

"The Case for Christ," by Lee Strobel," and

"The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus," by Dr. Gary Habermas.

“Miracles – The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts,” by Craig S. Keener

Spartan

Have you ever seen it happen? Do you know anyone who has seen it happen? Do you know what happens to the body of a dead person after three days? Biologically it is impossible for someone to come back from the dead. Now, I suspect you will cue the didit fallacy.

Once again, science has never documented or proven that God and the supernatural do not and cannot exist. So your claim that it is impossible for someone to come back from the dead is not science-based.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Dry up with your moon nonsense.

And you still haven't provided a lick of evidence to back up your "resurrection is a myth" rant. Where's the beef?
There is no difference between the two claims.
And I don't think that you understand the concept of evidence. If you did you would know how to apply it.

QuestioningMind

Read the Gospels. Then Acts. Then these works so you won't remain so completely in the dark.

"The Historical Jesus," by scholar Dr. Gary Habermas;

“The Historical Jesus of the Gospels,” by Dr. Craig Keener

"New Evidence that Demands a Verdict," by former skeptic Josh McDowell;

"Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics," by Dr. Norman Geisler;

"The Case for Christ," by Lee Strobel," and

"The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus," by Dr. Gary Habermas.

“Miracles – The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts,” by Craig S. Keener

More books filled with nothing but unverified claims. Go ahead and give me just ONE morsel of verifiable evidence about your resurrection claim that comes from any of these books. I'll wait.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Once again, science has never documented or proven that God and the supernatural do not and cannot exist. So your claim that it is impossible for someone to come back from the dead is not science-based.
Once again you did not pay attention to the post. He said "biologically" it is impossible . You propose that it was magic.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sorry, but what I have are multiple, independent, historical Gospels and epistles, along with various extra-biblical writings (over forty authors wrote about Jesus within 150 years of his death).

And what do you have to counter all that? Just a simple, unsubstantiated denial.
The Gospels are not independent. You failed to find any extra-biblical writings on it. You still seem struggling with the concept.

Wandering Monk

Science can say nothing about the magical world. By definition God is not material, therefore not in the realm of science.

Nimos

Start your own thread on that.
It was merely to illustrate the type of question you are asking and claiming that since people can't proof you wrong, then you must be right. This is not about atheists trying to be clever, even other religious people are trying to explain it to you as well.

So I will just leave it, echoing what the rest have already tried to explain to you, that the burden of proof is on you.

sooda

Veteran Member
Show me the specific criteria (proof) to document a supernatural resurrection. If you can't you don't know what you're talking about.

Do you know what supernatural means? Start with something easy …. like walking on water. Prove that and you can work up to proving resurrection from the dead.

Spartan

It was merely to illustrate the type of question you are asking and claiming that since people can't proof you wrong, then you must be right. This is not about atheists trying to be clever, even other religious people are trying to explain it to you as well.

So I will just leave it, echoing what the rest have already tried to explain to you, that the burden of proof is on you.

The burden of proof isn't on me. The historical accounts of the Gospels and epistles exist. I didn't make them up. Deal with them (IF YOU CAN).

Spartan

Science can say nothing about the magical world. By definition God is not material, therefore not in the realm of science.

Well, scientific discoveries are still being revealed, and will continue to be way into the future. So at best all you can say is that science is not yet mature enough to measure whether God does or doesn't exist.

Miracles exist. Science is on the record with those:

Dr. Candy Gunther Brown, who earned her doctorate degree at Harvard University, is a professor of religious studies at Indiana University. She has a neutral outlook on religion, having said, “I do not assume the existence or nonexistence of a deity or other suprahuman forces.”

Brown cites two scientific, peer-reviewed studies that confirmed the efficacy of prayer on patients. She noted, “One of the first publicized studies was by Dr. Randolph Byrd, published in 1988, in the peer-reviewed Southern Medical Journal. It was a prospective, randomized, double-blinded, controlled study of four hundred subjects.” The results: “Patients in the prayer group had less congestive heart failure, fewer cardiac arrests, fewer episodes of pneumonia, were less often intubated and ventilated, and needed less diuretic and antibiotic therapy.” The editor of the Journal noted that the study had been peer-reviewed and was judged to be a properly designed and executed scientific investigation.

THEN, a decade or so later, a REPLICATION STUDY by Dr. William S. Harris and colleagues was published in the “Archives of Internal medicine.” Dr. Brown noted of this study, “This was a ‘gold standard’ study of the effects of intercessory prayer on almost a thousand consecutively admitted coronary patients. Half received prayer, the other half didn’t. And again, the group that received prayer had better outcomes than the control group. These studies affirmed that the recipients of prayer had better outcomes than those who didn’t receive prayer.” - "The Case for Miracles," by Lee Strobel, pages 123-128

Spartan

Evidences for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ

Historical Evidence That Jesus Rose From the Dead

Plus:

"In The Case for the Real Jesus by Lee Strobel (p. 112), Mike Licona said, "[Gary] Habermas has compiled a list of more than 2,200 sources in French, German, and English in which experts have written on the resurrection from 1975 to the present. He has identified minimal facts that are strongly evidenced and which are regarded as historical by a large majority of scholars, including skeptics."

12 Historical Facts - Gary Habermas

Twelve Facts Most Scholars Agree on Concerning the Crucifixion and Resurrection

1. Jesus died by crucifixion.
2. He was buried.
3. His death caused the disciples to despair and lose hope.
4. The tomb was empty (the most contested).
5. The disciples had experiences which they believed were literal appearances of the risen Jesus (the most important proof).
6. The disciples were transformed from doubters to bold proclaimers.
7. The resurrection was the central message.
8. They preached the message of Jesus’ resurrection in Jerusalem.
9. The Church was born and grew.
10. Orthodox Jews who believed in Christ made Sunday their primary day of worship.
11. James was converted to the faith when he saw the resurrected Jesus (James was a family skeptic).
12. Paul was converted to the faith (Paul was an outsider skeptic and initially a persecutor of Christians).

QuestioningMind

How do you know they're unverified claims if you haven't read the books?

This was your opportunity to prove me wrong. I ASKED for even ONE piece of verifiable evidence than any of these books contain and guess what? You didn't provide me with ANYTHING. Seriously, if YOU have actually red them and you STILL can't provide me with a single piece of verifiable evidence, why would I waste my time reading them as well?

Spartan

This was your opportunity to prove me wrong. I ASKED for even ONE piece of verifiable evidence than any of these books contain and guess what? You didn't provide me with ANYTHING. Seriously, if YOU have actually red them and you STILL can't provide me with a single piece of verifiable evidence, why would I waste my time reading them as well?

FIRST, how do you know they're unverified claims if you haven't read the books?

Cat got your tongue?

As for evidence, see Post #98