• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No one will believe that Trek is a Marxist plot. But WE know what "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile" is really all about.
th

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You mean there was an episode of DS9 which was interesting?
The DS9 episode In The Pale Moonlight is easily one of the best Star Trek episodes out of all the series. It gets into the nitty-gritty parts of war, and the internal struggles of Sisko as he weighs the morality against his rather Machiavellian strategy and deception to get the Romulans to end their treaty of non-aggression with the Dominion and join the Federation and Klingon Empire to fight against them. He told a lie that could have damned the entire Federation, a few people died to get things moving along, but in the end a necessary ends was achieved. It's also rather scary knowing there are people like Garek who are so charming, articulate, charismatic, and very polite, but at the same time extremely dangerous, deadly, and more secretive than a shadow.
Or the Ferengi who became more interesting as time went on and Rom being a pro-labor liberal - that was very interesting and apropos. And how the Ferengi culture so accurately reflects the American plutocracy we now "enjoy".
Though I think DS9 has way too many Ferengi and not enough Vulcans, I do like Rom.
The show sounds like a Marxist's dream!
Rom, Quark's brother, actually did quote a bit of Marx in one episode as he was forming a labor union. It was surprising though that the Ferengi--who value profit above all else and will strip a business license over raises, vacation times, and organized labor--apparently lack any laws about possessing or referencing such a source, which is clear violation of everything the Ferengi Alliance stands for. For something that would be so blasphemous to them, especially considering unions are illegal under Ferengi law, the reaction of Quark seemed to be more on the "ehh..." and shoulder shrug side, rather than the reaction that I would have expected which would be on par to putting a cigarette out in baptismal water and having sex on the alter while the congregation watched.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Whoever it was that got the idea that spring is such a wonderful time of year obviously didn't suffer from seasonal allergies. My eyes are so itchy right now I feel like I could claw them out from scratching them.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I can tell you from experience that when a Chinese person (first language is Chinese) tells you something is "Super Silly" they don't get it when you reply with..."Well at least it wasn't supercilious"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Geek heaven--bringing together three of the greatest geek universes!
I never really got into Harry Potter. By the time Harry Potter came out I was 11, but by that time I was in my "young adult" phase (I greatly enjoyed the White Wolf novels and clan books), reading Edgar Allen Poe, and pretty much every Star Wars book available at any library I had access to, and then a few years later I got into Shakespeare, Stephen King, Ann Rice, and H.P. Lovecraft. By the time I did actually get around to giving Harry Potter a try, I just couldn't get into it due it being a kid's story.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Let's be realistic. You are not a geek or a nerd unless Drizzt, Twinkle, and Icingdeath are instantly recognizable to you, and if you can spot the tons of Tolkien references that are absent from the movies but found throughout the death metal genre, have a few banned MTG cards, and know no fewer than a handful of Klingon words and expressions.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
There's a Facebook friend from high school who keeps spamming everyone with ads, testimonies, and offers for something called "Plexus".

I'm not sure if it's a scam or not, but it's profoundly annoying. Thinking about blocking her based on that alone.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm working on building a MTG deck, potentially the most destructive, deadliest, and hardest hitting one I've ever made, and it doesn't even have damage, token, or counter multipliers, but milling through my own deck, getting one certain card on the field, then unleashing hell by casting all the red instant and sorcery cards I milled into my graveyard all at once and without paying any mana costs. If I do this right, even without the damage multiplier cards (as of now I only have 1 that I can use, out of the total potential of eight), I should be able to wipe out multiply players in one turn so long as I can quickly get mana on the field, get a chunk of my deck in my graveyard, and if done before anyone can build up their HP it should be like dropping a tsar bomb on steroids on the field. And if I can't get my way, I may put in a card that destroys all permanents.
And while building this deck, I came to learn that the artifact land cards I was putting in it are banned.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't know who I am going to vote for this year: In both the California Primary and the Presidential elections. I have voted in every presidential election since 1984, and I don't really want to skip one but...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I just stayed up all night fixing a PS3. I need to find an apprenticeship or something so I can professionally repair electronic devices.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I never really got into Harry Potter. By the time Harry Potter came out I was 11, but by that time I was in my "young adult" phase (I greatly enjoyed the White Wolf novels and clan books), reading Edgar Allen Poe, and pretty much every Star Wars book available at any library I had access to, and then a few years later I got into Shakespeare, Stephen King, Ann Rice, and H.P. Lovecraft. By the time I did actually get around to giving Harry Potter a try, I just couldn't get into it due it being a kid's story.
The later books get better--after Rowling had improved her style and had enough success she could tell the publisher "this is the way I'm writing it, so this is how it's going to be!"