• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The racism treadmill

Quite an interesting article about racial disparity in America.

The racism treadmill

One such belief is the notion that disparities between blacks and whites—in income, housing, employment, etc.—are caused by systemic racism. The award-winning writer Ta-Nehisi Coates, for instance, summed up the state of racial progress like so: “I could see that some fifty years after the civil rights movement black people could still be found at the bottom of virtually every socioeconomic metric of note.”2 Ibram X. Kendi, another celebrated race writer, put it bluntly: “As an anti-racist, when I see racial disparities, I see racism.”

But the premise built into the thinking of Coates and Kendi is false. I call it thedisparity fallacy. The disparity fallacy holds that unequal outcomes between two groups must be caused primarily by discrimination, whether overt or systemic. What’s puzzling about believers in the disparity fallacy is not that they apply the belief too broadly, but that they apply it too narrowly. Any instance of whites outperforming blacks is adduced as evidence of discrimination. But when a disparity runs the other way—that is, blacks outperforming whites—discrimination is never invoked as a causal factor.

Here’s a clear example of the disparity fallacy: a recent study by researchers at Stanford, Harvard, and the Census Bureau found that, “[a]mong those who grow up in families with comparable incomes, black men grow up to earn substantially less than the white men.” A New York Times article attributed this disparity to “the punishing reach of racism for black boys.” But the study also found that black women have higher college attendance rates than white men, and higher incomes than white women, conditional on parental income. The fact that black women outperformed their white counterparts on these measures, however, was not attributed to the punishing reach of racism against whites.

Economic disparities that favor blacks have been reported for decades, yet they have rarely if ever been attributed to anti-white systemic bias. A 1994 New York Times article reported that, among college graduates, black women earned slightly more money than white women did. In addition, the economist Thomas Sowell has pointed out that, as early as 1980, U.S. census data show black college-educated couples out-earning their white counterparts.

Thoughts?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Quite an interesting article about racial disparity in America.

The racism treadmill

One such belief is the notion that disparities between blacks and whites—in income, housing, employment, etc.—are caused by systemic racism. The award-winning writer Ta-Nehisi Coates, for instance, summed up the state of racial progress like so: “I could see that some fifty years after the civil rights movement black people could still be found at the bottom of virtually every socioeconomic metric of note.”2 Ibram X. Kendi, another celebrated race writer, put it bluntly: “As an anti-racist, when I see racial disparities, I see racism.”

But the premise built into the thinking of Coates and Kendi is false. I call it thedisparity fallacy. The disparity fallacy holds that unequal outcomes between two groups must be caused primarily by discrimination, whether overt or systemic. What’s puzzling about believers in the disparity fallacy is not that they apply the belief too broadly, but that they apply it too narrowly. Any instance of whites outperforming blacks is adduced as evidence of discrimination. But when a disparity runs the other way—that is, blacks outperforming whites—discrimination is never invoked as a causal factor.

Here’s a clear example of the disparity fallacy: a recent study by researchers at Stanford, Harvard, and the Census Bureau found that, “[a]mong those who grow up in families with comparable incomes, black men grow up to earn substantially less than the white men.” A New York Times article attributed this disparity to “the punishing reach of racism for black boys.” But the study also found that black women have higher college attendance rates than white men, and higher incomes than white women, conditional on parental income. The fact that black women outperformed their white counterparts on these measures, however, was not attributed to the punishing reach of racism against whites.

Economic disparities that favor blacks have been reported for decades, yet they have rarely if ever been attributed to anti-white systemic bias. A 1994 New York Times article reported that, among college graduates, black women earned slightly more money than white women did. In addition, the economist Thomas Sowell has pointed out that, as early as 1980, U.S. census data show black college-educated couples out-earning their white counterparts.

Thoughts?
This is troubling. It will be controversial.
If disparity can be explained by something other than systemic racism
(imposed by white folk, of course), it might mean that those earning less
bear some responsibility for rising above their current station in life.
This typically results in claims of victim blaming.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ultimately biology will settle this. Not due to the inherent superiority of any race. But due to the fact that people will marry and have kids with those that they love. "Interracial" marriage is getting to be more and more common and eventually there will merely be a spectrum of color and the idea of race will hopefully die a long overdue death.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This is troubling. It will be controversial.
If disparity can be explained by something other than systemic racism
(imposed by white folk, of course), it might mean that those earning less
bear some responsibility for rising above their current station in life.
This typically results in claims of victim blaming.
Hopeful?

dust1n

Zindīq
"I call it the disparity fallacy."

Tfw you discovered a new fallacy that sounds suspiciously like cum hoc ergo propter hoc but it just applies to one specific example of someone using it.

I don't know anything about Coates and Kendi, but I'm sure they are capable of implying causation through correlation. Never met a person who hasn't, tbh. People are also capable of implying causation through correlation and be totally correct; fallacious reasoning often produces results, hence why it is nearly omnipresent.

I'm not going to go over the article in full detail regarding the study referenced by the NYT that this story mentions. It's pointing out the tiny disparity in black women over white women doesn't get assumed to be a factor of racism, while the large disparity between black men and white men aren't. It completely neglects to mention the fact that racial basis was also measured; for example:

"Black men who grow up in tracts with less racial bias among whites – measured by testing for implicit bias or explicit racial animus in Google searches—earn more and are less likely to be incarcerated."

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/race_summary.pdf

So, pretty weird for getting upset at the New York Times for supposedly extrapolating causation from one single correlation, given that the study itself doesn't do that and goes on further to say:

"Our results show that the black-white gap in upward mobility is driven primarily by environmental factors that can be changed. But, the findings also highlight the challenges one faces in addressing these environmental disparities. Black and white boys have very different outcomes even if they grow up in two-parent families with comparable incomes, education, and wealth, live on the same city block, and attend the same school. This finding suggests that many widely discussed proposals may be insufficient to narrow the black-white gap themselves, and suggest potentially new directions for policies to consider.

For instance, policies focused on improving the economic outcomes of a single generation – such as temporary cash transfers, minimum wage increases, or universal basic income programs – can help narrow racial gaps at a given point in time. However, they are less likely to narrow racial disparities in the long run, unless they also change rates of upward mobility across generations. Policies that reduce residential segregation or enable black and white children to attend the same schools without achieving racial integration within neighborhoods and schools would also likely leave much of the gap in place.

Initiatives whose impacts cross neighborhood and class lines and increase upward mobility specifically for black men hold the greatest promise of narrowing the black-white gap. There are many promising examples of such efforts: mentoring programs for black boys, efforts to reduce racial bias among whites, interventions to reduce discrimination in criminal justice, and efforts to facilitate greater interaction across racial groups."

Emphasis mine.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"I call it the disparity fallacy."

Tfw you discovered a new fallacy that sounds suspiciously like cum hoc ergo propter hoc but it just applies to one specific example of someone using it.

I don't know anything about Coates and Kendi, but I'm sure they are capable of implying causation through correlation. Never met a person who hasn't, tbh. People are also capable of implying causation through correlation and be totally correct; fallacious reasoning often produces results, hence why it is nearly omnipresent.

I'm not going to go over the article in full detail regarding the study referenced by the NYT that this story mentions. It's pointing out the tiny disparity in black women over white women doesn't get assumed to be a factor of racism, while the large disparity between black men and white men aren't. It completely neglects to mention the fact that racial basis was also measured; for example:

"Black men who grow up in tracts with less racial bias among whites – measured by testing for implicit bias or explicit racial animus in Google searches—earn more and are less likely to be incarcerated."

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/race_summary.pdf

So, pretty weird for getting upset at the New York Times for supposedly extrapolating causation from one single correlation, given that the study itself doesn't do that and goes on further to say:

"Our results show that the black-white gap in upward mobility is driven primarily by environmental factors that can be changed. But, the findings also highlight the challenges one faces in addressing these environmental disparities. Black and white boys have very different outcomes even if they grow up in two-parent families with comparable incomes, education, and wealth, live on the same city block, and attend the same school. This finding suggests that many widely discussed proposals may be insufficient to narrow the black-white gap themselves, and suggest potentially new directions for policies to consider.

For instance, policies focused on improving the economic outcomes of a single generation – such as temporary cash transfers, minimum wage increases, or universal basic income programs – can help narrow racial gaps at a given point in time. However, they are less likely to narrow racial disparities in the long run, unless they also change rates of upward mobility across generations. Policies that reduce residential segregation or enable black and white children to attend the same schools without achieving racial integration within neighborhoods and schools would also likely leave much of the gap in place.

Initiatives whose impacts cross neighborhood and class lines and increase upward mobility specifically for black men hold the greatest promise of narrowing the black-white gap. There are many promising examples of such efforts: mentoring programs for black boys, efforts to reduce racial bias among whites, interventions to reduce discrimination in criminal justice, and efforts to facilitate greater interaction across racial groups."

Emphasis mine.
Your post is too long for my limited attention sp......
Welcome back!