• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Quran -channel 4

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Halcyon, after this are you confused or something?
No, just a bit disappointed. I liked the portrayal of the Qur'an as shown in the documentary. :(

yousaf said:
majority of the translation will be correct.

they can learn arabic and become an alim, (it's a 7 year process)
if somoen tells them the meaning whats the problem ?
that's what happens in schools
The Qur'an is written in a special "Qur'anic" Arabic anyway, isn't it?
Which means that anyone who reads it, even a native speaker of modern Arabic would need to interpret the text, right?

Sahar

Which means that anyone who reads it, even a native speaker of modern Arabic would need to interpret the text, right?
The Arabic of the Qur'an is the most eloquent.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah

As a native speaker I can understand the Quran, but many verses in the Quran need to be interpreted so as to understand it correctly. Since the Quran was revealed in the course of of 23 years in accordance with the requirements of the particular contexts that called for divine guidance in certain issues, so we need to understand the circumstances in which the verses were revealed. The best interpreter of the Quran is the one to whom the verses were revealed, Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. This is why Islam is based not only on the Quran but also on the sayings and tradtions of the Prophet.

Popeyesays

This is why Islam is based not only on the Quran but also on the sayings and tradtions of the Prophet.

Which is at least partly responsible for the Greaqt Schism in Islam, the Sunni, SHi'ih split, not to mention the Sufi Schism.

There is not an inconsiderable number of Sunni who find the over-reliance on hadith and tradition to b e dangerous ground.

Regards,
Scott

Sahar

Which is at least partly responsible for the Greaqt Schism in Islam, the Sunni, SHi'ih split, not to mention the Sufi Schism.
Regards,
Scott
Any normal person knows that the reason for the appearance of a sect like the Shi'a and some others was for political reasons. To say As-sufiya like this is not accurate. Many Sufis don't see Islam except inside the frame of Shari'a that is based on the Qur'an and the authentic Sunnah.

kai

ragamuffin
As a native speaker I can understand the Quran, but many verses in the Quran need to be interpreted so as to understand it correctly. Since the Quran was revealed in the course of of 23 years in accordance with the requirements of the particular contexts that called for divine guidance in certain issues, so we need to understand the circumstances in which the verses were revealed. The best interpreter of the Quran is the one to whom the verses were revealed, Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. This is why Islam is based not only on the Quran but also on the sayings and tradtions of the Prophet.

this is what bothers me , i have to rely on someone elses interpretation of Gods word. I find that dissapointing , too many men have interpreted gods word for us over the centuries.
thats what puts me off all relgions too much man not enough God

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
this is what bothers me , i have to rely on someone elses interpretation of Gods word. I find that dissapointing , too many men have interpreted gods word for us over the centuries.

Not anyone can interpret the words of God to us. The most reliable Quranic interpretation is the Quran itself in which certain verses clarify other verses and elaborate them. And as I said earlier the best of interpreters is Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him whose comments on the Quran and everything he ever uttered or did are recorded in the Hadith Collection. After the interpretation of our Prophet comes the interpretations of knowledgeable companions and later generations of devout pious and learned Muslims. On this foundation the science of Quran interpretation was built.

Last edited:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It's often dangerous to interpret the Quran without knowledge. One might see the verse kill the idolaters and go killing any pagan he might face on his way. That's why there is an established knowledge which deal with the studies of the Quram to put things in context, and teach the way prophet Mohammed and those who were with him "the companions" looked at these verses. Then based on that we can interpret the verses after taking the interpretations of prophet Mohammed as a guideline for us to follow.

Any kind of scripture might be misunderstood, that's why Allah said in the Quran to ask those with knowledge if we don't know.

Although i gave an example of violence and how one might interpret the Quran, others might be on the contrary, their intention might be good and a non-violence one, but still, they might take things, contrary to the real meanings of the verses.

Note that, after reading the classical interpretations of the Quran, you have the right to see for yourself, and decide whether that would be a fair interpretation or not. Not that you will accept things as it's, because there are many verses which been interpreted by the scholars of Islam, and some of them differed in some verses, because not all the Quran was interpreted by the prophet of Allah.

Last edited:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
another pogramme in the same series, i am afriad our non UK muslim friends could not see was the seven wonders of the muslim world, great programme following some young people from different countries to Mecca for the Haj, it showed wonderful muslim architecture in their own countries

Channel 4 - Faith and belief - Seven Wonders of the Muslim World

Yeah, i saw them advertising it at the end of the "Quran" show. If it was of the same quality as the other show, i think it will be a great one for sure. :)

.lava

Veteran Member
I'm not a Muslim but I watched the programme, I was expecting it to be quite biased, it being channel 4 and all, but I was pleasantly surprised with how they dealt with the various topics overall, and I think the Qur'an came out in a good light in the end.

I liked how they highlighted the verses that contradicted one another, but then suggested that this was so that people had a choice of action to take depending on the situation and their own free will - it reflects the nature of reality, nothing is ever a "one shoe fits all" situation.
And I also thought it interesting that they highlighted how each punishment in the Qur'an is rendered redundant if the wrong-doer repents their crime - the fact that a man cannot be hung for murder and a woman cannot be stoned for adultery if they admit their action and repent is not something that is often stated. And just goes to show how corrupt some Islamic nations are in their implementation of Sharia law.

Overall I think it brought into focus how much of the violence and things we in the West are abhorred by are entirely cultural, having no basis in Islam, and yet it is Islam that gets blamed...

dear friend, stoning people is never mentioned in Qur'an. punishment of adultery seems like physical but it is not.

not all murderers are the same. so details are important. a man could accidently kill other. therefor there should be courts.

showing mercy and forgiveness are part of Islam. when someone commit sin of adultery, in case s'he regrets and asks for forgiveness, God is all-forgiving. on the other hand, there are Muslims in Shirk who would grab her hair and drag her by force to punish her even if she begs for mercy. those do not know Islam. they are heartless bigots. each society should be ruled by people who's appointed by God, not by people who's chosen by some other people. when it happens, there is always injustice as there is now.