• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Psychology Forum and Its Sub-Forums

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
According to the American Psychological Association, "Psychology is the study of the mind and behavior. The discipline embraces all aspects of the human experience — from the functions of the brain to the actions of nations, from child development to care for the aged. In every conceivable setting from scientific research centers to mental healthcare services, 'the understanding of behavior' is the enterprise of psychologists."

Psychology is closely related to -- and sometimes overlaps -- the neurosciences. The neurosciences study the structure and function of the brain and central nervous system.

This forum and its sub-forums are for discussing all forms and branches of psychology -- as well as closely related fields and subjects, such as the neurosciences. The emphasis here is on "discussion". This is not a debate forum, but is instead a discussion forum. Please conduct yourselves accordingly.

joe1776

I think the idea of having a psychology forum is super. However, the emphasis on discussion and avoiding debate will eliminate my use of it because most of the prevailing conventional positions in psychology are debatable IMO.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I think the idea of having a psychology forum is super. However, the emphasis on discussion and avoiding debate will eliminate my use of it because most of the prevailing conventional positions in psychology are debatable IMO.
You can always start a separate debate thread inspired by the discussion here in the general debate subforum.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I would ask and wonder if one will be able to discuss this issue outside of a strictly scientific mindset.

Many see that mind is not part of the body and that it is the connection of mind to our Soul and Spirit, in our given nature and nurture upbringing, that manifests as our individual psychological outlook.

Be interested to see. Regards Tony

joe1776

You can always start a separate debate thread inspired by the discussion here in the general debate subforum.
Yes, I could, for example, start a thread to argue that recent scientific research supports the intuitionist hypothesis of moral judgments and not the rationalist that is still being taught in Psych 101 and stick it in another forum but a forum that classifies the potential debate to follow as Psychology would seem more appropriate

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Yes, I could, for example, start a thread to argue that recent scientific research supports the intuitionist hypothesis of moral judgments and not the rationalist that is still being taught in Psych 1 and stick it in another forum but a forum that classifies the potential debate to follow as Psychology would seem more appropriate
Perhaps, if we ask a mod or admin very nicely, we can talk them into creating a sticky thread where we can post links to debate threads related to psychology that all psychology enthusiasts can subscribe to so they get notifications when someone pastes a link to a debate in that thread?

joe1776

What's the difference between a debate and a discussion?
In debate, one has an opponent who disagrees.

However, as a problem for a forum like this, the key question is what's the difference between respectful debate and the argumentative nonsense that often happens in forums like this.

Respectful internet debate is fun, enlightening and a damn good way for students to learn critical thinking either by lurking or participating.

sealchan

In debate, one has an opponent who disagrees.

However, as a problem for a forum like this, the key question is what's the difference between respectful debate and the argumentative nonsense that often happens in forums like this.

Respectful internet debate is fun, enlightening and a damn good way for students to learn critical thinking either by lurking or participating.

So...OP = be nice?

MNoBody

writer.jpg

Discussion would be far more productive since it is difficult to objectify that which is apprehended subjectively.
People won't open up if they will be called wrong for doing their best to put into words that which is perplexing to them.
Consider the ink blotter presentation, one is asked what they see, what it makes them feel
no answer should be considered wrong as it is subjective
that attitude will only get answers that are expected and approved, or no response at all.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So...OP = be nice?

In debate threads, it is perfectly alright to try to prove your position true and/or other positions false.

In discussion threads, you may state your position. You may ask respectful questions. You may get into conversations. But you are not allowed to try to prove your position true and/or other positions false.

I hope this helps.

joe1776

So...OP = be nice?
Well, more than that. The moderators are attempting to enforce a cease fire on debatable issues by separating the opponents. For example, the conservatives-only forum and a liberal-only forums would keep the two positions separated.

Forums like that hold no interest for me because I come here to keep my old brain engaged. It's challenging to debate weak arguments that would get several likes in the conservative only forum, for example.

I avoid frustration by not hoping to change the mind of a debate opponent (which rarely happens). Instead, I try to make arguments persuasive for unbiased lurkers.