• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the pope visit to africa

cambridge79

the pope has been asked if it was the case for such a trip these days he basically replied that "god has his plans, if he want him to die he is ready to die otherwise he will protect him" wich would be an acceptable answer if we're talking about a sniper going after him, the pope is a grown man afterall.
But considering than:
- terrorists there have the tendency to blow themselves up taking the life of everyone around them, therefore killing the pope could mean taking also the life of other 100 people with him.
- the assassination of the pope could lead to an excalation of the situation on a global level.
- he is making it a nightmare for the people who are responsable to protect him.
i think after all it's a pretty irresponsable attitude he is showing here

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
[...]

- people there have the tendency to blow themselves up taking the life of everyone around them, therefore killing the pope could mean taking also the life of other 100 people with him.

[...]

Do you realize how insulting and uninformed this sounds?

cambridge79

Do you realize how insulting and uninformed this sounds?

i'm not talking about all africans. I'm talking about the "modus operandi" of terrorists who operate there. For example is only Boko Haram that uses childrens with explosive belts on them as far as i know.

I absolutely apologize if the way i've written it sounded disrespectful to african people, that wasn't my intention it's just me not using properly a language that is not mine.
I edit the original post in order to prevent further controvercies

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
i'm not talking about all africans. I'm talking about the "modus operandi" of terrorists who operate there. I apologize if the way i've written it sounds disrespecting to local people

Thanks for clarifying. Your post could use a little more clarity, then.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
There is always a danger for the popes to be murdered not only in Africa,remember the shooting of the pope by a maniac in his own Italy.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Good luck to him.
Not my cup of tea, but why should the Africans be denied the chance to be near the Pontiff if they wish to be, because of a bunch of child-murdering ********? It is basically then up to each African to decide whether they want to attend the parades, etc, or not.

As for his security detail, that kind of risk comes with the territory. Matthew 5:16 and all that.

cambridge79

There is always a danger for the popes to be murdered not only in Africa,remember the shooting of the pope by a maniac in his own Italy.

that for sure, expecially with this pope that is rejecting all safety measures including the bullet proof papamobile. But at least in Rome you know the place, and you have a skilled organization working for ages only to protect him right there, so they at least know how to handle the situation. And Italy is a country with high safety standards, border controls, reliable police force and so on. And still his safety can't be guaranteed with a 100% certanty.

An african trip in this very historical moment is a nightmare for those who have to take care of safery measures. They can't move like 2000 policemen only to follow him trough the whole trip, so they have to rely also on local forces they never have worked with, and they have to guarantee security in places they don't know, different every day, in countries where it's like a million time easier to plan an attack. and as i said, if it was only his life at risk, good for him, he is a grown up man.
but we're talking about all the people attending the meetings ( what if they shoot an rpg rocket toward the pope while he is meeting with the crowd? ) and the consequences on a global political scale if the pope was killed in such a way could be catastrophic,
you can pretend to just sit and wait and talk about what to do if a muslim terrorist organization kill 100 people in paris but if they go and kill the pope it's real full scale war the very next day.
Therefore i think it's pretty irresponsable the "i can walk naked in the street with no bodiguards, god is watching over me i don't need anything else" attitude.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I very much like what he is doing there and elsewhere, and I sincerely wish more of our religious leaders would do more like that.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Good luck to him.
Not my cup of tea, but why should the Africans be denied the chance to be near the Pontiff if they wish to be, because of a bunch of child-murdering ********? It is basically then up to each African to decide whether they want to attend the parades, etc, or not.

As for his security detail, that kind of risk comes with the territory. Matthew 5:16 and all that.
I'm with you on this one. I doubt very much I'd walk across the street to see a Pope, let alone stand for hours merely to catch a fleeting glimpse, but if people wish to flock to see him -- have at 'er. There are always risks with such public events and though the world would be outraged I'm not so sure the death of a pope would instantly translate into open war the very next day.

cambridge79

I very much like what he is doing there and elsewhere, and I sincerely wish more of our religious leaders would do more like that.

i think this pope could be really an innovator if he hadn't his hands tied by the institution he is at the head of. he seem to be way more of a christian, intended in a positive way, that the institution he is called to lead.

i think in this regard what dalai lamah is saying is much more interesting, apparently nobody wants to officially invite him cause nobody wants to **** of china.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
i think this pope could be really an innovator if he hadn't his hands tied by the institution he is at the head of. he seem to be way more of a christian, intended in a positive way, that the institution he is called to lead.

i think in this regard what dalai lamah is saying is much more interesting, apparently nobody wants to officially invite him cause nobody wants to **** of china.
I have long been a fan of this Dalai Lama and have read about eight or so of his books. He's a true inspiration to me.