• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pandavas Dependency on Krishna

Pariah

Let go
*Only those familiar with the Mahabharata epic should respond*

Krishna was essential to the Pandavas victory over the Kauravas at Kurukshetra. Or was he? Do you think the Pandavas may have won without the support of Madhusudhana?

It also speaks volumes about the "misguided" (depending on how you view the battle - imagine if the Kauravas had won and they had written the Mahabharata...) yet valorous attempt by the Kauravas. Despite fighting the Lord and the Pandavas they held their own, and yet the Pandavas barely scratched by (or did they?).

What do you think?
Did the Pandavas thoroughly trounce the Kauravas such that Krishna's assistance was only fringe activity, or was Krishna the only reason the Pandavas made it out of Kurukshetra alive?

:)eek: Come on! Let's revive the Hinduism directory together! :eek:)

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I say that it was because of Krishna. I think the main message being sent was that if you have the Lord on your side you can win any battle. If you choose the Lord over worldly things especially! It teaches that we must have faith in God. Duryodhana doubted the power of Krishna and he chose a huge army over having Krishna on his side. It shows that The Lord is more powerful than any army. :)

Pariah

Let go
But isn't the ability of the Kauravas to stand against them for so long example enough of their courage and fighting prowess?

Plus, the Pandavas weren't all shiny and enlightened - the entire epic is a struggle between morality and loyalty, such as Arjuna's slaying of Karna against the laws of war (although, this was revenge for Abhimanyu, but nevertheless... you would expect better of him).

:eek:m:WHAT IS YOU POINT HERE.......to deride the pandavas for them having faith in lord krsna and beliveing in him, thus teaching us that example here in kali-yug or to aurgue some other make belive possblity which does'nt exist in this time frame.:meditate:.....................PS; I do understand the morality issue here but that is karma and that's unchangable according to that persons state.:namaste

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I think it also shows that even if we have to stand up against our family to protect Dharma, we must do so.

Pariah

Let go
I think it also shows that even if we have to stand up against our family to protect Dharma, we must do so.

That's definitely one of the main issues in the entire epic - loyalty versus dharma.

So far, no one has put forth any consolation for the kauravas... how can their courage and their determination be derailed through their lack of faith?

So far, no one has put forth any convincing arguments one way or the other.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
*Only those familiar with the Mahabharata epic should respond*
Well, I'm familiar with the Mahabharata - I've read it and know who all the players are to whom you refer - but I don't remember the details.

Are you saying only those Hindus who are familiar should respond? Or can anyone familiar with the greatest story ever told respond? :)

If the former, forgive the intrusion and I will bow out. :namaste

:eek:m:WHAT IS YOU POINT HERE.......to deride the pandavas for them having faith in lord krsna and beliveing in him, thus teaching us that example here in kali-yug or to aurgue some other make belive possblity which does'nt exist in this time frame.
I didn't think that his point was deride faith at all. In fact, from Pariah's post I got the impression that it wasn't Lord Krishna who won the battle for the Pandavas, but rather their faith in Lord Krishna that got them through it. And faith in their Dharma. Faith that gave them the courage to fight instead of despair. Such that they used all their cunning, and bravery and strength and endurance to finally prevail. God inspires us but in the end, humans still have to do the work.

Of course, I could just be reading what I want to see into the story. :p

Pariah

Let go
Well, I'm familiar with the Mahabharata - I've read it and know who all the players are to whom you refer - but I don't remember the details.

Are you saying only those Hindus who are familiar should respond? Or can anyone familiar with the greatest story ever told respond? :)

You certainly are an exception to the rule, but Indian culture and history, although growing with the current expansion of the Indian economy, is lost on the West save for intellectuals. As long as you understand the issues, you are free to

Therefore, I assumed only Hindus would know about the epic itself, let alone the specific stories.

I didn't think that his point was deride faith at all. In fact, from Pariah's post I got the impression that it wasn't Lord Krishna who won the battle for the Pandavas, but rather their faith in Lord Krishna that got them through it. And faith in their Dharma. Faith that gave them the courage to fight instead of despair. Such that they used all their cunning, and bravery and strength and endurance to finally prevail. God inspires us but in the end, humans still have to do the work.

The second good response (the first being Hema's).
However, compare this to Milton's Paradise Lost - Satan, portrayed by Milton, is a powerful and charismatic leader, overshadowed only by God himself, therefore inflating the power of God as being even above The Accuser.

I see the opposite in this epic. Despite fighting against Krishna (who technically never actually fought, but he was necessary to the survival of the Pandavas), the Kauravas wielded a seemingly invincible defense. In the same way, does this not show the Kauravas a greater light than the Pandavas, who depended on Krishna for help?

Who doesn't it? And if you couldn't - I don't think it would be as great as it is today. All great art raises more questions than it does answers.

If the former, forgive the intrusion and I will bow out. :namaste

:eek:m:Oh beloved i do understand your point and my statement there was not mean't to offend anyone, but as far as the kuravas go there lack of faith put them in there present state duyodhana king of the kuru's was driving by false ego and beloved karna:meditate:.......by loyalty such is that they met there fate accordlly such is the laws of karma, they the kuru's followed the laws adharma, and all such acts show out in the end.:namaste

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
:eek:m:Oh beloved i do understand your point and my statement there was not mean't to offend anyone, but as far as the kuravas go there lack of faith put them in there present state duyodhana king of the kuru's was driving by false ego and beloved karna:meditate:.......by loyalty such is that they met there fate accordlly such is the laws of karma, they the kuru's followed the laws adharma, and all such acts show out in the end.:namaste
I too am familiar with the Mahabharata and to my pathetic viewpoint it is a simple tale that in essence says that it is pointless to fight god and if you try you will only meet with defeat.

I too am familiar with the Mahabharata and to my pathetic viewpoint it is a simple tale that in essence says that it is pointless to fight god and if you try you will only meet with defeat.

Nicely put, but i dont see the point of this thread, if anyone could elaborate?

Pariah

Let go
Nicely put, but i dont see the point of this thread, if anyone could elaborate?

Read the OP.

Do you think the Pandavas' reliance on Krishna makes them look weaker than the Kauravas? Do you think the Kauravas look exceedingly strong because in the face of the combined might of the Pandavas and Krishna, they put up a fight.

Wellno, If you remember, Duryodhan and Arjun went to Dwarka to see Krishna bhagwan about his help for the war. Arjun sat at the feet of Krishna bhagwan while he was sleeping when duryodhan sat at his head. When krishna bgahwan woke up he was arjun first and asked him what he would prefer, his million soldiers or him as his charioteer. But duryodhan butted in and said i got here first. But anyway arjun said i only want you on my side, i need no army. But uryodhan got what he came looking for. That shows the strenght of the pandavs, numbers were not important to them. They were dharmic and bold. They were not weaker then the kauravs at all.

No, not really, unless your view of dharma is very fluid.
:eek:m:Yes my view of dharma is fluid my friend, but i make that statement with conviction because this world on a gross level belongs to my lord krsna anyway in his maha-vishnu format so in the course of time it will be corrected, and the satya-yug will begin again.:namaste

Pariah

Let go
:eek:m:Yes my view of dharma is fluid my friend, but i make that statement with conviction because this world on a gross level belongs to my lord krsna anyway in his maha-vishnu format so in the course of time it will be corrected, and the satya-yug will begin again.:namaste

I wouldn't hold your breath, Kali-Yugam doesn't end for another 432,000 years.