• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The original Sin

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Have you availed yourself of the relevant Torah commentary, or do you simply fabricate ideas as to what is 'probable' out of this air?

I never read the Torah. Are there Swedish translations? German, English or Italian would be fine, too.

Just to set my parameter straight: do you believe in a literal Adam?

Ciao

- viole

You say that as an atheist...
I'm asking to know the religious POV....

The 'religious' POV doesn't necessarily see it as literally true either. Only some interpret it as an actual event.

Compare it to the Greek myths involving Prometheus, Pandora, etc. It covers questions of theodicy, why life is hard, the tragic condition of humanity and the like.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As it is based on the myth of Adam and Eve, the whole concept must be Mythical.
The Idea that there ever was an Identifiable first man and woman, is hard to reconcile with any known science.
However it fits perfectly with story telling and the teaching of morals by people who knew of no such thing.

There is lots to learn about in genesis in the way of moral and human relationships and the nature of God.
Attributing the entire potential sin of man to a mythical character is going too far.

Nor has it ever been understood that way by the inheritors of the stories. though it seems some do believe in Adam and Eve as real.

Many times i hear about the original Sin...

I would much appreciate understanding it as i fail to seem what is that sin and why is it even considered a sin?

(I know the first actual sin between human to human is Kain.... I'm not talking about that..
I'm talking about the Forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge.

Thanks.

Sin is just word play using the wave form sine and cosine. In this case sine referring to time and cosine referring to cosmos.
Sine is shortened to sin and as we all know, everything in time and space goes through a life and death cycle.
Therefore man trapped in sin "time" is doomed to die.
Its has nothing to do with moral behavior. Its nothing more than a control measure for humanity.
Theres always someone in power eager to tell you what your sin is and what you need to do to fix it. Obey, give money, go to war etc..

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sin is just word play using the wave form sine and cosine. In this case sine referring to time and cosine referring to cosmos.
Sine is shortened to sin and as we all know, everything in time and space goes through a life and death cycle.
Therefore man trapped in sin "time" is doomed to die.
Its has nothing to do with moral behavior. Its nothing more than a control measure for humanity.
Theres always someone in power eager to tell you what your sin is and what you need to do to fix it. Obey, give money, go to war etc..
<yawn>

ignore-list​

</ignore>

Segev Moran

Have you availed yourself of the relevant Torah commentary, or do you simply fabricate ideas as to what is 'probable' out of this air?

The entire religious is based on assumptions and interpretations of tales...
What is the Torah commentary?
Is it not the same thing as Viole did?

I've red the Torah, and the "Hazal" interpretations.. and the "Rashi" explanationts...
They are all based on ideas that seem probable to the verse you are reading...
So I second viole for that statement...
If the story is real.. Adam and Eve should have no understanding of Good and Evil.. This is a "fact" based on the tale of Eden...
They had no understanding of what is right and wrong, good or bad, true or false...
All they knew was instinct...

(Hmmmm.. sounds a lot like animals to me btw ;) )

So how can GOD blame them for a sin that clearly they didn't have the ability to understand that is a Sin...

Segev Moran

The 'religious' POV doesn't necessarily see it as literally true either. Only some interpret it as an actual event.

Compare it to the Greek myths involving Prometheus, Pandora, etc. It covers questions of theodicy, why life is hard, the tragic condition of humanity and the like.

That's one of my issues with religion BTW...

Who decided which stories of the bible are truth (meaning they are actual events that really occurred as the tale states) or are just a myth...???

It drives me nuts that even nowadays, i have religious friends who ask their rabbi for an answer for question they should have the will to come with by them selves...
I'm not saying consulting someone is bad... but not doing anything without getting the answer from someone else is a bad way of living...

If you have a decision to make... learn the possibilities, study the options and use your logic to choose whats right for you...

I have a friend (amazing friend really, she is smart, and beatiful and unfortunantly very religous ;) )
She MARRIED a man that was told to her because her rabbi told her it will be wise to marry him!!!! Oh My Darwin (;))

She tied her life to a stranger!!! just because her rabbi told her it will be pleasing GOD's will...
If that's GOD's will, he can marry the dude himself...

I Must say that after she got married she just became a different person.. she became much more religous, and stopped hanging out with Males (Me included), and it literally pissed me off that someone does such things..
and more of which.. the nerve that rabbi has to decide such an idea.. to take advantage of someone who trusts him and make him do what the rabbi thinks is right in the eyes of GOD????
Geez...

What I'm trying to say is... that religious is based on assumptions, guess work, story telling and empowerment of selected few that control thousands and millions of peoples' lives...

Please Please tell me...
Who ever checked if the Pope really is a holy man?

Demonslayer

So how can GOD blame them for a sin that clearly they didn't have the ability to understand that is a Sin...

Even worse, how could God blame a baby born this afternoon for the sin of Adam?

You'd think an almighty, ubergood being wouldn't be such a dick.

Segev Moran

As is true of opinions, not all assumptions/interpretations are created equal and it's pure hubris to think otherwise.

Sure you have ... :D

I Did .. LOL.. I Was born a Jewish (Yes..Yes.. a dude chopped of my and studying Bible in our school is a must....
And in Israel we have a bible that comes built it with all the interpretations for each verse...
Yep.. I've learned it for 9 year!!!!

But I must mention that the study was from a literature POV.. not religious, yet we have learned all the religious aspects of it also.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
And you believe that your opinion on Genesis should be accepted as informed and thereby credible?
:rolleyes:

Well, then throw some light on our ignorance.

Does, or does not , the Torah hold the position that Adam was a historical person?

Ciao

- viole

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You seem to shy away from answering ;)
Yet another baseless claim. Oh, well ...

I'm Jewish with some 33K posts. I've addressed Genesis pericopes on numerous occasions. The fact remains that my issue with you has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I take Adam and Eve literally and everything to do with whether or not you take it seriously.