• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The One Thing All Men Feel, But Never Admit

Aquitaine

I've gotta admit though, I am surprised by the claim that late adolescent males are *seven* times more likely to commit Suicide than their female counterparts.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've gotta admit though, I am surprised by the claim that late adolescent males are *seven* times more likely to commit Suicide than their female counterparts.

I didn't expect it to be that high either. But they might be talking about "successful" attempts. I know girls are much less likely to succeed at suicide than boys.

Aquitaine

I didn't expect it to be that high either. But they might be talking about "successful" attempts. I know girls are much less likely to succeed at suicide than boys.

Yeah I remember George Carlin when he said that women attempt it more, but males actually succeed more - "So we're better at it!", as he said. :eek:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Yeah I remember George Carlin when he said that women attempt it more, but males actually succeed more - "So we're better at it!", as he said. :eek:

I remember when Kilgore Trout said "just another thing that men are more proficient at." What a card.

gzusfrk

Christian
I read the article, I watched the video, I understand it, but I still don't know what all men feel but never admit. Could someone smarter than me spell it out for me......thanks

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I mean, I just want to wear fluffy pink dresses and sob gently into strangers' bosoms.
Bullcrap!
You only pretend to sob so you can go motorboating.

Hmmm....this suggests a language question.
What was "motorboating" called before the existence of the motorboat?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I read the article, I watched the video, I understand it, but I still don't know what all men feel but never admit. Could someone smarter than me spell it out for me......thanks

I could be wrong, but I think it was getting at the cult of masculinity that says men should not have pronounced feelings about things beyond, say, expressing a very limited range of emotions, such as anger.

Perhaps strangely enough, my mother held to that notion, but not just for men, for herself too. She couldn't -- and still can't -- express her emotions very well. She's very stoical in that regard.

When I was in my thirties, my second wife described me as "taciturn, arrogant, stoic", and some other thing that I forget now. But a few years later I met a friend who persuaded me those qualities -- especially the taciturn and stoic -- were not always good ones, and she did a lot to help me get in touch with my feelings. It was difficult -- almost hilariously difficult -- at first, and the transformation took a few years. At any rate, because of those experiences I feel I can relate to what they're talking about in the video.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I could be wrong, but I think it was getting at the cult of masculinity that says men should not have pronounced feelings about things beyond, say, expressing a very limited range of emotions, such as anger.

Perhaps strangely enough, my mother held to that notion, but not just for men, for herself too. She couldn't -- and still can't -- express her emotions very well. She's very stoical in that regard.

When I was in my thirties, my second wife described me as "taciturn, arrogant, stoic", and some other thing that I forget now. But a few years later I met a friend who persuaded me those qualities -- especially the taciturn and stoic -- were not always good ones, and she did a lot to help me get in touch with my feelings. It was difficult -- almost hilariously difficult -- at first, and the transformation took a few years. At any rate, because of those experiences I feel I can relate to what they're talking about in the video.

kudos for a good friend :)

Alceste

Vagabond

Speaking as a girl with a couple of suicidal girlfriends, talking about their feelings and asking for help is kind of part of the process. One of them phoned me right after taking a bottle of pills. On some level, she was thinking "oh, hang on a minute, there's this whole other option". The other shared her entire plan with me and I told her if l couldn't get in touch with her for more than half an hour at any point in the next couple weeks I'd send the cops over. That seemed to keep her from following through - she would have been happy to die but didn't want any awkwardness with the cops.

I don't think guys are as likely to tell anybody if they're planning to bump themselves off. That's a shame, because sometimes just telling somebody is enough to make you realize it's a really stupid idea.

All suicide is a cry for help. Successful suicide is just a very ineffective one.

Last edited:

gzusfrk

Christian

Thank you. I was leaning towards that, but I have never had a problem expressing myself, I now can see how it fits the title, somewhat old school, maybe a little vulcan :) The expression man up ,or be a man, have some balls, don"t be a cry baby, really never meant don't have any feelings, but I was never told those things. Driving these sayings into a child could be detrimental. Thank again