• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The One or the Many?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Is it ok to sacrifice the one for the many?

Is it ok to sacrifice many people for one?

Random

It would help if we had a context for these questions, Halcyon, a scenario to make them more relative. One cannot answer without making a moral slight: after all, if I say it's okay to sacrifice One for the Many, as humanity symbolically and once literally did with human sacrifice (think Jesus dying for all of us) then I condone a murder, but if I say it is okay to sacrifice the Many for One I am a monster, a tyrant, a lunatic...or maybe the god of the Old Testament. See what I mean? There is no "correct" answer or valid general opinion, I feel.

Kay

Towards the Sun
I don't feel that I can sacrifice the one for the many. I don't feel that I can sacrifice the many for the one. It is not my choice or my right to sacrifice anybody for anything.

If, however, the one (or the many) decided to sacrifice herself, that's a different matter.

Just my $.02 :)

Random

Neosnoia said:
If, however, the one (or the many) decided to sacrifice herself, that's a different matter.

It is indeed. Pehaps the very meaning of this thread is about self-sacrifice...Halcyon will make it clear I'm sure.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Neosnoia said:
I don't feel that I can sacrifice the one for the many. I don't feel that I can sacrifice the many for the one. It is not my choice or my right to sacrifice anybody for anything.

Just my $.02 :)

Well said. Sadly, I think most people believe they have a right to force anyone to sacrifice themselves so long as they have "numbers" on their side.

Kay

Towards the Sun
des said:
That's not what Mr. Spock says. :)
sorry sorry sorry but I couldn't resist.

--des

Ah Des, have I told you lately that I love ya, you little trekker geek? :D

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Ah, utilitarianism!

I would say the same as many of the other posters: it's an individual action that should be decided on a case by case basis. There is certainly honor and virtue in sacrificing oneself for another (or many), but I find ethics to be way too convoluted to simply say that it is "ok" to do so.