• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Newsroom

InfidelRiot

Did you enjoy the first season? I know I did. It was amazing, much better than I thought it would be.

One of my favorite quotes, from the beginning of the first episode no less:

Yeah, just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there are some things you should know, and one of them is that there is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world. We're seventh in literacy, twenty-seventh in math, twenty-second in science, forty-ninth in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force, and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies. None of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are without a doubt, a member of the WORST-period-GENERATION-period-EVER-period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don't know what the **** you're talking about? Yosemite? We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right! We fought for moral reasons, we passed and struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world's greatest artists and the world's greatest economy. We reached for the stars, and we acted like men. We aspired to intelligence; we didn't belittle it; it didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't scare so easy. And we were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one-America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.

dust1n

Zindīq
Even though there were a few deus ex machina and kind of "how convenient moments," I found myself pretty much drawn to the entire series. It seemed a little unrealistic at times, how neatly the plot moves along, and the dragging love story of two different couples was starting to drive me really crazy by the end. I really hope some of those things can be resolved, because I can't stand another 8 hours of watching these characters dance around their love lives all day when the audience obviously knows that both couples are suppose to be together. The fact that they never are is kind of annoying when they have been setting this up episode after episode.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Even though there were a few deus ex machina and kind of "how convenient moments," I found myself pretty much drawn to the entire series. It seemed a little unrealistic at times, how neatly the plot moves along, and the dragging love story of two different couples was starting to drive me really crazy by the end. I really hope some of those things can be resolved, because I can't stand another 8 hours of watching these characters dance around their love lives all day when the audience obviously knows that both couples are suppose to be together. The fact that they never are is kind of annoying when they have been setting this up episode after episode.

Agreed. I like the show, but the problems I have are:

The usual criticism of Sorkin - the dialogue. Everyone is witty and verbose, and there is little to distinguish the lines of one character from another other than seeing who says them.

The other big problem is what you mention. The love stories are OK, but they're very obvious. I know keeping them apart is a mechanism for drama and intrigue, but at a certain point it gets to be too much, so that it does the opposite of what it's supposed to.

But I love the message, and despite my problems with it, I find myself engrossed in every episode. Even the cheesy dramatic moments like everyone lining up to give Will money like the scene from Rudy found me touched, despite my strong urge to roll my eyes.

LittlePinky82

I enjoyed it. I agree with the issues that people pointed out, but over all, I liked the show and am looking forward to season two. Any idea when that's supposed to start back?