• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Trend in Bullying

Rakhel

Changing names in yearbooks
Georgia teen Dylan Worthen's name is modified in a marching band photo to say 'Worthen-Freak' in South Paulding High School's yearbook. Now Dylan's mom wants all of the copies trashed.

Read more: Teen's mom wants 900 high-school yearbooks labeling son 'freak' destroyed  - NY Daily News

A high school student from Columbia, Missouri, was arrested on suspicion of felony property damage after she allegedly changed a classmate's last name in the yearbook to "Masturbate."

17-year-old Kaitlyn Booth's "prank" affected some 720 yearbooks — known as the Hickman Cresset — and would have set Hickman High School back over $41,000, but a last-minute decision was made to spend 12 hours placing stickers over the student's name instead.
Teen Arrested For Changing Classmate's Name in Yearbook to 'Masturbate'

High school bully changes Texas cheerleader’s name to ‘Ugly Hoe’ in class yearbook

High school bully changes Texas cheerleader

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
So this is the yearbook editors doing this? Or kids writing in their yearbooks?

Rakhel

The name changes are showing up in the printed edition.
The printers are just printing what the editors are sending them.
The one school is offering stickers to fix the problem.

Stickers.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The name changes are showing up in the printed edition.
The printers are just printing what the editors are sending them.
The one school is offering stickers to fix the problem.

Stickers.

Yeah. And we want to give our kids all sorts of legal freedoms, because they make such awesome decisions! :D

Alceste

Vagabond
I think the consequence of this behavior should be that all the yearbooks are destroyed and not replaced unless the vandal puts up the funds. That would put a stop to it. Stickers are completely unacceptable.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure most students behind yearbooks are legally adults. They should be tried as such if they are for vandalism, and if they are not, tried as juveniles for vandalism.

Furthermore, I'd deny any such students a high school diploma (unless you can't be denied a diploma for anything other than actual academic reasons.)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Bullying aside, how could the schools be so woefully inept for these instances to make it all of the way to the printing press?

Rakhel

It's my understanding that the yearbook committee are "supposed" to be the more responsible of the senior class. So it would make some sense that the school admin trusts them. However, it is also my understanding that the yearbook committee, at least it was the case in my school, had a teacher who was to supervise the committee.

So I guess the question is still what are the teachers doing to confront bullying if even the more responsible of the class are the bullies?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm pretty sure most students behind yearbooks are legally adults. They should be tried as such if they are for vandalism, and if they are not, tried as juveniles for vandalism.

Furthermore, I'd deny any such students a high school diploma (unless you can't be denied a diploma for anything other than actual academic reasons.)

I like this.

The first part I mean.

ZooGirl02

Wow. How cruel can people be??

I think they need to confiscate and destroy all of the year books and then replace them with ones that don't have this cruel and vicious prank in them. Bullying should not be tolerated at all.

Alceste

Vagabond
Wow. How cruel can people be??

I think they need to confiscate and destroy all of the year books and then replace them with ones that don't have this cruel and vicious prank in them. Bullying should not be tolerated at all.

I don't think they should be replaced. Schools are strapped for cash already. If one joker wants to ruin it for everyone, fine. No yearbooks.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It seems like there's more than enough potential criminal charges for kids who do this to be sent to juvenile hall, or if 18, to jail. Additionally, there seems to be plenty of grounds to bring a civil lawsuit against such people.

At the very least, the schools should not be distributing these books. If they want to do a reprint, then they'd have to come up with a scheme to recoup the funds. The kids responsible, or their parents, certainly seem financially culpable, just as in any situation where a kid vandalizes property.

Alceste

Vagabond
It seems like there's more than enough potential criminal charges for kids who do this to be sent to juvenile hall, or if 18, to jail. Additionally, there seems to be plenty of grounds to bring a civil lawsuit against such people.

At the very least, the schools should not be distributing these books. If they want to do a reprint, then they'd have to come up with a scheme to recoup the funds. The kids responsible, or their parents, certainly seem financially culpable, just as in any situation where a kid vandalizes property.

Yeah, I'd probably not go as far as criminal charges for what basically amounts to name calling, but civil liability and responsibility for the costs of replacing the yearbooks, certainly.

And in cases where the responsible party is not identified, no yearbooks. Either that or the kids can raise the funds on their own.

Alceste

Vagabond

We pay for the police and the criminal court system through taxes. I don't see any benefit in criminalizing teenage idiots for my tax dollar. Also, the impact of a criminal record on future job prospects makes it more likely that they will become dependent on welfare. If there's jail time, I'm paying for that too. There's no net benefit.

OTOH, if the policy is well known that vandalized yearbooks will not be distributed or replaced, the behavior will stop. I'd bet on it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
We pay for the police and the criminal court system through taxes. I don't see any benefit in criminalizing teenage idiots for my tax dollar. Also, the impact of a criminal record on future job prospects makes it more likely that they will become dependent on welfare. If there's jail time, I'm paying for that too. There's no net benefit.

OTOH, if the policy is well known that vandalized yearbooks will not be distributed or replaced, the behavior will stop. I'd bet on it.

Of course there is benefit. For starters, if they are adults and they commited a crime, it is only fitting to press charges. It then becomes news and everyone around notices it is serious.

If you want to end a problem you gotta treat it with the seriousnes it requires. Set some examples.

It stop sbeing something that "we all do" in highschool.

Alceste

Vagabond
Of course there is benefit. For starters, if they are adults and they commited a crime, it is only fitting to press charges. It then becomes news and everyone around notices it is serious.

If you want to end a problem you gotta treat it with the seriousnes it requires. Set some examples.

It stop sbeing something that "we all do" in highschool.

Name calling isn't a crime. Vandalism is, but is usually treated with a fine or civil liability for damages. Do you really want to live in a world where people go to prison for name calling? I'd have ended up in school by myself if that's how we did things.