• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Need for Peace

maggie2

I happened to see Bill Clinton on Queen Latifa yesterday and he was talking about the need for peace. He said that if we look at our DNA, every human is 99% the same, only 1% of our DNA is different. So he suggested that we need to focus more on the 99% instead of the 1% and that will help move us to a more peaceful existence. I thought that was a good way to look at things. Where do you sit on this issue? Do you think it will help? Why or why not? And I don't care what you think of him personally, just this particular idea.

Faybull

I see "us" as already focusing on that 99%...I can see the news, we are acting like animals, and few are acting as those set apart from that kingdom.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Bill is blithely ignoring that fact that for the most part we do coexist rather nicely, everyday of the week.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I happened to see Bill Clinton on Queen Latifa yesterday and he was talking about the need for peace. He said that if we look at our DNA, every human is 99% the same, only 1% of our DNA is different. So he suggested that we need to focus more on the 99% instead of the 1% and that will help move us to a more peaceful existence. I thought that was a good way to look at things. Where do you sit on this issue? Do you think it will help? Why or why not? And I don't care what you think of him personally, just this particular idea.

Peace be on you. Well said.
If all humanity get united on common good thing and avoid common bad, peace will come:
[Quran 49:14] O mankind, We have created you from a male and a female; and We have made you into tribes and sub-tribes that you may recognize one another. Verily, the most honourable among you, in the sight of Allah, is he who is the most righteous among you. Surely, Allah is All-knowing, All-Aware.

[5:3]"................And help one another in righteousness and piety; but help not one another in sin and transgression......................."

maggie2

Bill is blithely ignoring that fact that for the most part we do coexist rather nicely, everyday of the week.

Unfortunately, there are many who do not, however, coexist nicely. Most of those are fundamentalist thinkers who think their way is the only way, whether in a religious or political context. It is these individuals who somehow need to become more aware of our sameness, in my opinion.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Unfortunately, there are many who do not, however, coexist nicely. Most of those are fundamentalist thinkers who think their way is the only way, whether in a religious or political context. It is these individuals who somehow need to become more aware of our sameness, in my opinion.
Try telling them that. :)

maggie2

Try telling them that. :)

Yes, however, I still have hope. Last night on our national news a newswoman was interviewing Fred Phelps' (the gay hating, soldier funeral disruption Baptist preacher) son was being interviewed. He rejected his father's hate-filled preaching and left home and that way of life when he was 18. There are also others who have given up their fundamentalists ways as well, so I still have some hope. I also know a couple of people who came out of a fundamentalist background and now are far more interested in peace than in being right.