• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nature of Guides

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I have enough happening in another thread to keep me busy for awhile . :) But I have often wondered about the nature of guides . Why is it that traditionly so many have been animal in nature ?

Yes , many have " human " guides . But ignoring them , why do so many have " animal " guides . Any opinions ?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
For me, at least, I think they take on the appearance of animals so that I can easily recognize them or their message. Because I enjoy sitting outside, too, I get reminded more often of my guides by their 'representatives' that appear. (Which isn't to suggest that the same wouldn't happen if it was in a human form, though I would be more comfortable seeing a bluebird at the feeder than, for example, Ben Kingsley.)

1nharmony

A Coco-Nut
kreeden said:
I have enough happening in another thread to keep me busy for awhile . :) But I have often wondered about the nature of guides . Why is it that traditionly so many have been animal in nature ?

Yes , many have " human " guides . But ignoring them , why do so many have " animal " guides . Any opinions ?

I am familiar with animal spirit guides, or totems, in Native Indian religion. Do other religions have animal guides? Can you give some other examples, kreeden?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
(Sorry for adding my 2 frubals while Kreeden is away, since the question was asked of him, but hope I can shed a little light!)

Guides in the form of animals are recognized in almost all cultures, though most often in those with shamans. Many of their attributes are the same in different lands, despite those lands not having prior contact with each other to 'agree on what the animal would represent. Some current religions that embrace guides in the form of animals include several forms of Paganism, Voudun, and Shinto.

1nharmony

A Coco-Nut
Thank you Feathers. It makes sense that cultures world wide would develop this sort of belief. Animals don't change characteristics by living in different parts of the world although a culture may assign different meaning to them.

kreeden, I think the reason so many choose animals is based on the purpose for having guides. A spirit guide leads us in some way, usually as a teacher leads a student to knowledge and understanding. In the realm of the spirit, I think people find communicating in human terms inadequate. Somehow animals give a sense of "knowing" on a level that we lack, yet desire.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
My spirit guide is the Unicorn, I used to have recurring dreams of a black unicorn. She always helped me through troubled times. She started visiting me in my dreams when I was about 6 years old. The dreams stopped when I was 18, a senior in high school, she told me that she was always with me, not just in my dreams, and she said she had taken that form because it's what brought me joy and comfort and strength. She also said that she would no longer visit me in my dreams and that I would learn to recognize her everywhere.

As she walked away into the woods, she shapeshifted into the image of Christ. It was still many years before I understood. Christ is not just about the man called Jesus. It's hard to explain, and should be it's own thread. The point is God, or the Source, whatever name you call it will manifest into whatever it takes to help you remember.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Also worth noting, I think, is that guides will appear in certain forms as they relate to your spirit animal. For example, a message that would appear to someone with the spirit animal of a fox as a guide in the form of a rabbit would be a different message than a guide in the same form would appear to someone with the spirit animal of a rabbit, or another herbivore. I think that it's our knowledge of the way that creatures interact with one another that sometimes causes guides to take on such shapes.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Yes , form doesn't appear to play the same role in the Spiritual realm as in our's .

I am keeping my opinions to myself this time , for a change . ;) As I said , I have enough on my plate with the multi-being thread . :) But I use the term " guide " every loosely here .

This doesn't really relate to the thread , but Nicki Scully has an interesting take on the " Shamanic Journey ". Has anyone read her book " The Golden Cauldron "? { 2nd edition it is called " Power Animal Meditations " }

Master Vigil

It is my experience that animals are more pure and spiritually wise than humans. Why would a guide take on the energy signature of an impure and spirtually ignorant being? (not that all humans are impure and spiritually ignorant :D)

Native americans practiced a nature based religion, just as was the case in Africa. They can hold a place similar to that of hindu dieties, hinduism being a sort of scientific magical system, with different dieties for differant situations, people, tribes, whatever the case. The animal's personality could be a key factor in its true place, as a person's personality could be why that was assigned to them.

PLants also serve as guides, and this is a tradition of many cultures that I know of.

Mystic-als

Maybe this isn't the correct thread but when I see my "guides" I see two. A cat and a kestral (small hawk-like bird). The cat always aproches from the left and the kestral from the right. When I'm walking or on my way somewhere the cat stays to my left but the kestral moves dirctly infront of me in the sky.
Is this strange? Am I going crazy? What does it mean?

Again I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Nope, this is the perfect place!

The positioning of your guides when you're journeying is important, especially in terms of meaning. The kestral, with its clear sight, sees the path ahead and can help to lead you on it. The left side, sometimes associated with the feminine, is a perfect place for the cat. There are other meanings, too, but I thought I'd suggest those to help you get started.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
The Kestral . :) One of the most beautiful birds we have in Canada IMHO . The little Sparrow Hawk .

I know nothing of the Kestral as a giude , other then what Feathers said as they relate to the Hawk and Falcon . { they are actually a falcon } . It seems to me that would be the natural place for him . :)

Interesting combination in a way . :) A Cat and Kestral . But it makes sense . Cat sometimes have to do with protection , so she would stay close . { I assume that we are refering to a domestic Cat ??? } She protects the home from unwanted pest .

As Feathers said , there are other possible meanings . But it sounds to me that you have a wonderful combo there . :)

Mystic-als

Thats interesting. About the female part. So the left is usually female and then I surpose that the kestral is male as it always comes to me on the right hand side.
The strange thing is that the cat is growing. Everytime I see her she is bigger.

How do I get to know more about the two. I often sit and spend time in my inner place just watching them and talking with them. But I never get definite answers.
Always some sort of sign. But I don't know the meanings. Please tell me more.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
How do you get to know more about a person ? :) Seems to me that you are doing ok . It just takes time . I know it sounds like a cliche , but you will understand when the time is right .

Feathers may be more help then I am here ? I hope so . But for me , this is something me each have to define for ourselves . We meet a new friend , sure we may ask others what they think of that friend , but what that friend means to us is defined by what that friend is to each of us . Does that make sense ?

This is a journey , not just to understand your Helpers , but to understand yourself .

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Mystic-als said:
Thats interesting. About the female part. So the left is usually female and then I surpose that the kestral is male as it always comes to me on the right hand side.
The strange thing is that the cat is growing. Everytime I see her she is bigger.

How do I get to know more about the two. I often sit and spend time in my inner place just watching them and talking with them. But I never get definite answers.
Always some sort of sign. But I don't know the meanings. Please tell me more.

Do you get the sense that the cat is female? (Just because it's on the feminine side doesn't mean it's a she, hehee!) Is the guide changing in their type in growing, or is the guide growing but staying the same type?

Kreeden, as usual, has beat me to anything I might say that could be useful, I'm afraid. *grin* But do they talk to you? Try talking to them, asking what they might prefer to be called. If they don't wish to answer, it's not because you're doing anything wrong. It's just that they or yourself know that that that's something that is either not important for you to know now or more important for you to learn later. The same with the lessons that they bring! :)

While you're travelling or sitting, keep an eye on the ground behind you, too. I'm getting the sense that there's something hanging out there that is wanting to make itself helpful to you, too.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
FeathersinHair said:
Kreeden, as usual, has beat me to anything I might say that could be useful, I'm afraid. *grin*

Not at all Feathers . :) We have a little different approach , and no doubt Mystic-als will find the he too has his own . Even if we say the same thing , it is unlikely that we will use the same words , so perhaps the hearer will relate to one and not the other ?

Besides , you addressed two every important things that I felt kinda uncomfortable addressing . :) Or perhaps it is just one thing ??? The Growth of the Cat . That is very interesting . And I was wondering if perhaps it was becoming what it truely is , or if the growth is a part of the message ? And I too felt that there is more then what Mystic-als has told us , or that he has found .

Mystic-als , don't be afraid of pushing your Helpers a little . They WILL let you know if you push too hard . :) Or you will know . I have had one come right out and tell me that I wasn't ready .... can't get much more blunt then that eh ? I have also had to " search " for one that is very important to me . I knew that he was important , but never meet him on any journey , no matter how I asked . So I went looking for him . Found that he had always been there , but I was looking in the wrong places . :)

Mystic-als

Thank you soooo much for your input. FeathersinHair - I will keep a look behind me in future. They don't talk as much as they project their will into me. Thank you for shareing.

kreeden - There is more to tell but that would take a long, long time. The Cat (who gave me her name) Now I know it a her. And she is growing not changeing. Same guide but bigger and bigger.
The kestral gave me his name when we first met but now it's as if he took it back. I cant remember it at all.

Something strange happened. Normally they are more than willing to help with anything I ask. The otherday I asked them to help me do a "scan" (don't know what it should be called) on someone. And they left. Almost saying to me that I should do it my self.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
That is interesting . But as I'm sure you know , the same physical laws that govern us here have little meaning there .

I have been doing some reading on the Kestral . A very powerful guide you have there . :) Most are in their own way . But he is connected to the Soul , as well as Magic . And a Healer to boot . I assume that you have Kestrals where you live ? If so , get to know them . The more you understand the creature , the better you will understand your guide .

They left eh ? As I said , they will let you know if you ask too much . Or if they feel that you are being lazy . ;)

And you don't have to tell any more then you want ... and I would caution on telling that much . :( Not that I think it would upset your friends , but because we form a very personal bond between us and them . And most people don't respect that bond . Even some who claim to be Shaman .

Having said that , there is a story of a wild Raven and a Kestral I would like to tell you . But the Kestral got the short end in this case and I wouldn't want you to feel that I was implying that one was better then the other . In fact , I think the two are very closely related in regard to their connections to the Soul . { well , Raven has more to do with the Darkness , Death and Rebirth , but the two are related } . And Toes { the Raven } wouldn't have been able to push his weight around if it had been a Merlin . Although he would have tried . And on the other hand , the Kestral isn't bothered at all by the Kingbird . :) Each has his own strenghts and weaknesses .

Mystic-als

kreeden - If possible please tell me the story. I am really interested in hearing it. I am soo new to this. Any help you can give me will be very much appreciated