• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nature of Guides

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ok , but this is just a story about a " physical " Raven and Kestral . Nothing Spiritual really . I have been feeding a group of Ravens for several years now . Toes and I have become quite close .

Now Raven isn't the best hunter in the bird kingdom . They do ok , but well . they are kinda like humans in that they aren't really equiped for hunting . Not like a Hawk or Falcon . They are a perching bird actually , a " Song Bird ". But they will hunt , using what they have . A rather large beak and their brains . Even so , it is uncommon for them to catch a pigeon out in the open . { they usually get a pigeon someplace where they can't fly , or hunt them in a group }.

Anyway , one morning I came upon Toes , out in the open , with a fresh kill . I was so proud of him . :) Told him what a great hunter he was . And he quite proud of his self .

As I watched him , I became aware of a Kestral sitting off a ways . It didn't take long to figure out what had happened . The Kestral had made the kill , and Toes took it . Of course I had to tease Toes for allowing me to think that he had made the kill . And I swear that bird understands me . :) He continued eating , but no longer seemed quite so proud .

A few days later , I was talking to another guy and there where a group of pigeons off to the side . Toes came swooping in , and it seemed that just to prove to me that he could , he chased one pigeon under a cart , { where it couldn't fly } and made the kill by his self . :)

As I said , this has nothing to do with Spiritualism . Just me bragging about my little friend . Now , the Kingbird .... Although Kestral is a better hunter then Raven { perhaps because of it ? } , the Kingbird doesn't bother him at all . It would be the death of the Kingbird if he did . But the liitle Kingbird outflies Raven , is much quicker . And because Raven will eat their eggs and young , the Kingbird chases Rven off whenever they see one . The Kingbird is a " fly-catcher ", smaller then a Robin . Bright green in colour . And they are the biggest bane that my little buddies have .

I know that the story doesn't sound like much , but it was kinda cool to experience . :) Oh , a sidenote here . Toes once gave me the wing of a pigeon . Just like a cat will bring you a mouse ... he brough me a wing .

Now I have to run . Later ...

Mystic-als

Thanks for this. I am really trying to get a kestral to see it close up and make one my friend. I think I might need a permit here but will see. All of you have been helpful thank you.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Best of luck Mystic-als . :) They seem quite ... solitary . I have been trying to get a good picture of one , but can't seem to get close enough , long enough . :)

Some animals are more companionable towards humans . That is why some are so common as guides , I think . Raven isn't my main benifactor , but she is the one with whom I have the best relationship with on a physical level .

Mystic-als

I have am moving to a much larger property so that I can keep (if thats possible) birds of prey. And do a little rehabilitation with them. Will let you guys know how it goes.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Mystic-als said:
I have am moving to a much larger property so that I can keep (if thats possible) birds of prey. And do a little rehabilitation with them. Will let you guys know how it goes.
My father had a falconers license. We used to be a 'foster' home to birds that were being rehabilitated. Usually Red-tailed Hawks, but we got a couple of owls as well. It is wonderful to be so close and so involved with these animals, they really are fabulous.

I'm getting ready to leave town to go take care of my father's funeral, and take care of all his belongings. After reading your posts I remembered several funny things that happened while we had these birds, and I hope my dad still had the photos.

1 funny story:
It was Christmas time, and we had custody of a young red-tailed hawk that had been found half frozen in Lake Hefner. The shower curtain rod had been moved down to be used as a perch, and the bathroom was lined with newspapers. (they have projectile poop).

My grandmother came over and unknowingly went into the hawks bathroom, when she screamed, the bird took flight. The bird landing on top of a table lamp, which could not handle his weight, and it toppled over, (CRASH!!!!) The bird flew up and landed on my grandmothers beehive hairdoo (more screaming). Then the bird landed on top of the Christmas tree. The tree started to lean over and just before it reached it's point of no return, the bird jumped off the tree, causing the tree to snap back to upright, and smashing most of the ornaments against the wall. (MULTIPLE CRASH !!!)

That's when we knew the little guy was well enough to be let back into the wild.

What a mess it must have been! OMG. I have an african grey parrot [not a hawk I know] but it's just like a little baby. So cute. except when he takes a chunk out or my ear. Little devil. :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
:) So ES , when a bird can wreck the house , it is ready to return to the wild ? ;) lol

Sorry to hear about your father .

Mystic-als , I just did some reseach on the Kestral , to make sure that we were talking about the same bird . It appears not . But the American Kestral and the Common Kestral do appear to be quite similar .

Best of luck with your plans . :)