• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The myth of cutting spending in the US

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is a classic example of why under Republican administrations the deficit goes up. Spending is not cut but taxes are cut. And has been proven over and over again, tax cuts don't spur spending at least when they're concentrated in dollar terms on the top 1%.http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/27/u...ing-budget-is-easier-said-than-done.html?_r=0

Crop Insurance Subsidies Prove Cutting Budget Is Easier Said Than Done

In April, Republicans newly in control of Congress celebrated their agreement on a plan to save $5 trillion — that’s trillion, with a “T” — and balance the budget in a decade. “We continue to get things done for the American people,” boasted the House speaker at the time, John A. Boehner.

Yet as the year closes, Congress instead is planning to repeal one of the few spending cuts it has passed into law since approving that budget resolution: $3 billion over a decade from subsidies for crop insurers.
“I’m sick of the hypocrisy of people out there saying: ‘Balance the budget, balance the budget, but don't raise taxes.' Well, what are you going to cut? If you can’t cut this, what can you cut?"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Whom to hate....whom to hate.....
The ones who promise increased spending, & deliver?
Or the ones who promise cuts, & fail to deliver?
Both!

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Admittedly, it's a difficult concept.
I never understood why politicians always want the government to cut what the citizens get from the government but never what the politicians get from the government...

Actually, i understand that.
What I do not understand is why the citizens sit back and allow it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never understood why politicians always want the government to cut what the citizens get from the government but never what the politicians get from the government...

Actually, i understand that.
What I do not understand is why the citizens sit back and allow it.
It's more about supporting the team (Dem or Pub) than principles.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
It's more about supporting the team (Dem or Pub) than principles.
That makes sense.
Especially given the number of time I have seen and heard people voting not for the candidate, but the party said candidate claims to represent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That makes sense.
Especially given the number of time I have seen and heard people voting not for the candidate, but the party said candidate claims to represent.
And even when voting for the party's candidate, they'll so often ignore fundamental differences, eg, peaceniks voting for a hawk.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Whom to hate....whom to hate.....
The ones who promise increased spending, & deliver?
Or the ones who promise cuts, & fail to deliver?
Both!
Aye, there's the rub. There is no one who truly wants to cut the give-aways to business. If there's someone to hate, I would nominate those who believe that this is the best government money can buy - the plutocrats.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Aye, there's the rub. There is no one who truly wants to cut the give-aways to business. If there's someone to hate, I would nominate those who believe that this is the best government money can buy - the plutocrats.
There are a few of us who vote against giveaways to business....and giveaways to others.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are a few of us who vote against giveaways to business....and giveaways to others.
Now wait a minute here because several months ago you said that you relished your "privileges", as you called them. Remember? And we were referring to this issue.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
“I’m sick of the hypocrisy of people out there saying: ‘Balance the budget, balance the budget, but don't raise taxes.' Well, what are you going to cut? If you can’t cut this, what can you cut?"

*raises hand*

I know the answer ! I know the answer !

Military spending!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Now wait a minute here because several months ago you said that you relished your "privileges", as you called them. Remember? And we were referring to this issue.
This is a rather non-specific complaint.
I require better quality carping than this..