• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Multiverse Theory

Youtellme

I was wondering what you guys thought of the multiverse theory.
Do you think there are other universes out there? What evidence is there for more? Do you think it's a theory designed to explain away the order we see in our universe?

Thought's please.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I'm not a big fan of the idea. I'd call it more of a hypothesis than a theory. How does one test for a different universe? What kind of experiment could I hope to do? By definition they would be a seperate universe. It doesn't seem like a very scientific idea despite its popularity amongst certain physicists. Its also not very simple from a philosophical standpoint. Would it really be necessary to invoke the existence of multiple universes just to explain the workings of one? Forget the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, for me its old Copenhagen all the way! Woooo! :D

Trey of Diamonds

I'm a big fan of the Multiverse theory and have been since reading Heinlein as a young child. I recommend reading his Number of the Beast novel which is a really fun romp through the multiverse.

Number_of_Beast_Heinlein.jpg

Amazon.com: The Number of the Beast (9780449130704): Robert A. Heinlein: Books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Number_of_the_Beast_(novel)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think it's a wonderful, albeit, overused science fiction device. I've used it myself with varying degrees of success.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Here is an interesting study on the subject from Cornell University.

[1105.3796] The Multiverse Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics

Personally I couldn't even understand the Table of Contents but if you have a physics background maybe it will make sense to you. :D

There are two ways of thinking about multiple universes. One in terms of quantum mechanics as an outlandish interpretation of quantum phenomena; this is the many worlds interpretation. The other is in terms of general relativity as a solution involving branching or bubble space-time geometries. They authors are essentially arguing that “these two are like totally the same thing because that would be like so cool and stuff”. They make somewhat unfounded assumptions and then endeavor to prove mathematically that if they assume those things are true, then their assertion is true. They fail in their attempt, but then argue that it is true in some special cases…mainly in supersymmetric universes with vanishing cosmological constants. Both supersymmetry and a non zero cosmological constant are questionable in their applicability to the observable universe. In fact, not only is there a non zero cosmological constant, but it appears to be causing our universe to expand an accelerating rate. Apparently hypothesizing passes for good physics these days if excessive jargon is used.

outhouse

Atheistically
we once thought only the earth existed and everything revolved around our flat earth

That changed as we developed a understanding of a galaxy

Then we understood the age of the universe

Now we know there is dark energy

We are at our infancy in understanding what is actually out there, its possible. I mean, why not?

Just because we cannot see outside of our time and space, doesnt mean there is nothing there.

Youtellme

We are at our infancy in understanding what is actually out there, its possible. I mean, why not?

Just because we cannot see outside of our time and space, doesnt mean there is nothing there.

I was watching a debate recently on evidence for God and a scientist was asked about the apparent order problem, because many use that to point to a creator, and he brought up the multiverse as an explanation to the order we see. Now, to me it seemed strange to me that he argued that there was no proof that God exists, yet was happy to go with the possibility that there are untold numbers of universes, and ours is the one where it turned out ok buy pot luck, even though there is no proof of that either.

So why is it fair to mock the religious for their faith in the unseen?

Trey of Diamonds

I was watching a debate recently on evidence for God and a scientist was asked about the apparent order problem, because many use that to point to a creator, and he brought up the multiverse as an explanation to the order we see. Now, to me it seemed strange to me that he argued that there was no proof that God exists, yet was happy to go with the possibility that there are untold numbers of universes, and ours is the one where it turned out ok buy pot luck, even though there is no proof of that either.

So why is it fair to mock the religious for their faith in the unseen?

Mocking isn't fair, but it is legal.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So that goes for the multiverse and blackhole believers too?

It goes for anything that does not have empircal evidence for its existence - this currently includes ghosts, gods, fairies, and multiverses. There is plenty of empircal evidence for the existence of blackholes, so they do not fall into the realm of the speculative.

gnomon

Do you think there are other universes out there? What evidence is there for more? Do you think it's a theory designed to explain away the order we see in our universe?

Thought's please.

It's a hypothesis. At this point, that's all it is.

cablescavenger

Thought's please.

It is like being offered the red pill, when we have been chewing blue pills all our lives.

Just how far does this rabbit hole go?

shawn001

So that goes for the multiverse and blackhole believers too?

Blackholes exist for a fact, because we have a ton of evidence for them and can see stars orbiting them.

There is ablack hole at the center of every galaxy we have looked at so far, as well as the fact there are caused by super nova star explosions.