• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most all inclusive narrative of the resurrection ever:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
was going to go with mental break, but whatever. It could also just be the story he told Christians to better infiltrate the group.
scripture reports .....he persecuted Christians
and then after that noted event....a name change and conversion

a different person altogether

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Personally, *inhales*:

Jesus and Judas had grand plans to make a big protest in Jerusalem. The goal was to shame the religious leadership and bring about reforms. Meanwhile, Peter feared Jesus' death would take from his 15 minutes of fame and his importance. Peter betrays Jesus three times and to deflect, pins the blame on Judas. Alternatively, the religious leadership tries to shame Christianity by suggesting Jesus' death was an inside job. At any rate, Jesus' plan backfired and he cried out to God for an escape, but he made his bed and now he had to lie in it. Jesus was tortured and crucified, assumed to be dead, entombed, and he recovered from his wounds in a few days and then high-tailed it out of the country.
so....His plan was to reform a belief system
scurge the ruling sect

He got caught

and then He got away with it

seems He succeeded

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
scripture reports .....he persecuted Christians
and then after that noted event....a name change and conversion

a different person altogether
That Paul changed his name is a common misunderstanding among Christians. Like many of that time he had both a Jewish name, his original name, and a romanized version of his name, in this case Paul. He was still called Saul by fellow Jews and Christians of Jewish origins after the conversion. You can read more here:

No, ‘Saul the Persecutor’ Did Not Become ‘Paul the Apostle’

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That Paul changed his name is a common misunderstanding among Christians. Like many of that time he had both a Jewish name, his original name, and a romanized version of his name, in this case Paul. He was still called Saul by fellow Jews and Christians of Jewish origins after the conversion. You can read more here:

No, ‘Saul the Persecutor’ Did Not Become ‘Paul the Apostle’
scanned your offering....

but none the less......Paul and Saul are the same person

no distraction of the blinding was made.....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
He claimed to be a different person and molded Christianity to his liking. He's a Trojan Horse virus.

His movement doesn't make people better. People choose religions that confirm their worldviews. They don't transform.

I could concede both lines

but that doesn't support Paul (and I don't)
and it doesn't reduce the work of the Carpenter

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Still have trouble with the word "literally" I see.

And no that was not a close minded thing to say. It was a prediction based upon past experience. I see that you could not take the proper action and find a failure of the Bible that you could defend.

And you do not seem to understand the word "dogma" either. With your poor use of the English language and misusing terms in an attempt to insult do you think that we will get anywhere? This is not a proper debating technique.

And there is no need to scare quote the word "contradictions" they are there and they are obvious to the honest. One of the reasons that I use the Tyre prophecy is to test the honesty of Christians. To defend that prophesy they have to debase all prophecy to the point of the claim that "You will see a red car" becomes a prophecy of biblical proportion. You make prophecy worthless by defending the indefensible.

And . . . you are attacking me again, without making the slightest protest that you are even mildly open-minded! AGAIN, you write, "I use the Tyre prophecy because it is simply not possible for my limited understanding of an event that happened millennia ago to be wrong!"

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So none at all. That is what we all thought. Your "credentials" are no better than anyone else's here. You do not need to believe the myths of the Bible to understand them. In fact belief often gets in the way of understanding.

And . . . you are attacking me again, without making the slightest protest that you are even mildly open-minded! AGAIN, you write, "I use the Tyre prophecy because it is simply not possible for my limited understanding of an event that happened millennia ago to be wrong!"

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Where? Pointing out that you are having a problem with the word "literally" when I you used that wrong twice is not "attacking".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

NO, you are making errors again and being corrected. You need to learn the difference. You will never learn if you call every correction an "attack".

And please, if you can't be honest why even proceed? My understanding is not limited in this matter. At least not compared to any supposed Christian scholar. Though you could always try to show that I am wrong. Now I could call your post an attack, but it is just an embarrassing error on your part. Or a possible case of dishonesty. The only way that believers have been able to even try to defend the Tyre prophesy is by debasing the concept of what a prophecy is making all prophecy worthless.

Do you think that you can do any better?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Damn......and I thought I was the only person that knew!

yeah....that episode of a blinding light
several days blind
followed by a name change and
a completely different personality......

sounds like a stroke to me

and He wrote almost half of the new testament

but out of the discussion about resurrection......what is your take on that?

I think it happens in that hour of the last breath
you die
then your spirit stands
About the resurrection: factually or mythically/metaphorically?

sojourner

He claimed to be a different person and molded Christianity to his liking. He's a Trojan Horse virus.

His movement doesn't make people better. People choose religions that confirm their worldviews. They don't transform.
You’re working off the assumption that there is some “correct” Christianity. As Xy makes its way into different cultures, it necessarily changes to meet the needs of the culture. Paul represented a shift from Judaism to Hellenism. The beauty of xy is its adaptability. It makes a far better movement than it does a religion.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You’re working off the assumption that there is some “correct” Christianity. As Xy makes its way into different cultures, it necessarily changes to meet the needs of the culture. Paul represented a shift from Judaism to Hellenism. The beauty of xy is its adaptability. It makes a far better movement than it does a religion.

I will grant that Christianity probably had superior morals than other religions for quite a while. But humanity's morals have improved since then.

sojourner

spiritual

we separate from the body right after the last breath

(It might take an hour)
As a corollary, spiritual teachers say that the body should be left alone for three days before being processed, in order to give the light body ample time to fully energetically detach from the physical. I think that’s good advice. Otherwise, the energy can become attached to the place, or remain attached to the body, and soul may get “stuck.”

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As a corollary, spiritual teachers say that the body should be left alone for three days before being processed, in order to give the light body ample time to fully energetically detach from the physical. I think that’s good advice. Otherwise, the energy can become attached to the place, or remain attached to the body, and soul may get “stuck.”
launch an op

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
NO, you are making errors again and being corrected. You need to learn the difference. You will never learn if you call every correction an "attack".

And please, if you can't be honest why even proceed? My understanding is not limited in this matter. At least not compared to any supposed Christian scholar. Though you could always try to show that I am wrong. Now I could call your post an attack, but it is just an embarrassing error on your part. Or a possible case of dishonesty. The only way that believers have been able to even try to defend the Tyre prophesy is by debasing the concept of what a prophecy is making all prophecy worthless.

Do you think that you can do any better?

I do superbly with contradiction apologetics, and so my time is precious, limited to non-hostile, open-minded persons. You've added ad homs, slander (calling me a liar) and rude behavior to being closed-minded.

It is logically possible I'm perhaps dishonest. It is EVIDENT you are rude, closed-minded. Tell me again a reason I should waste time defending against your "Tyre findings" that you "researched" at AtheistsMoanAboutBible.com?