• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most all inclusive narrative of the resurrection ever:

I found the analogy for this question :

How about world without end , while it will pass .

If you want , then what is any dime that you would ever get from It ?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
WITNESSES EXPLAIN THE MOST MOMENTOUS EVENT IN HISTORY
(By Unknown Genius On The Internet)
Mary: Well, the other Mary and I (Matthew 28.1) were the first to go down to the cave where somebody said they’d put the body.
Salome: I was there too, don’t forget (Mark 16.1)
Mary: Were you? I don’t remember that.
Salome: Bloody was, I’m telling you. So were a bunch of others (Luke 24.10).
Mary: Anyway, we got there and the entrance stone had been rolled away (Mark 16.4).
Peter: Wait a minute… I thought you said that happened after you got there. I thought you said there was an earthquake nobody else could feel and an angel came and rolled away the stone in front of your very eyes (Matt 28.2).
Mary: Did I? Oh yes, that’s right. That’s what happened. And the guards fainted out of sheer fright (Matt 28.4)
Thomas: They did? You didn’t mention any guards the first time you told this story (Mark 16.4).
Mary: Didn’t I? I must’ve forgotten. Oh well. And there was this strange young man sitting inside the tomb (Mark 16.5).
Salome: There were two young men and they were standing outside (Luke 24.4).
Mary: Really? I saw only one and he was definitely inside.
Peter: It wasn’t a young man, it was an angel (Mark 28.5).
Mary: Angel? Oh yes, I suppose you’re right. It must have been an angel. And he said the Master wasn’t there, that he’d risen. (Matt 28.7).
John: That’s funny, I don’t remember anyone being there at this point. I certainly don’t remember anybody speaking to us (John 20.4-5).
Mary: That’s strange, because the young man in the tomb definitely spoke to me.
Salome: And the two men outside the tomb spoke to me.
Peter: And the angel … don’t forget the angel.
Thomas: So what happened then?
Mary: We were so frightened, we just ran away.
Thomas: You ran away? And then what?
Mary: Nothing. We said nothing to anybody (Mark 16.8).
Thomas: You said nothing to anybody. Then how did Peter find out? ‘Cos’ the next thing he was running hell for leather to the garden to see this empty cave for himself.
Peter: Oh, she must’ve told me. Yes, that was it, she said something to me and some of the others (Luke 24.10).
Mary: Erm, yes, that’s right. I told Peter and he went to see the empty tomb.
Peter. Ran all the way on my own, I did (Luke 24.12).
John: No, you didn’t. I went with you. In fact I overtook you and got there first (John 20.3-6).
Peter: Did you? I don’t remember that. Are you sure you haven’t just added yourself in here?
John: So anyway, we ran to the tomb…
Peter: And we see that the body has gone. I’m telling you, we couldn’t work out what had happened (John 20.9).
John: Though the most logical explanation seemed to be that he’d risen from the dead. I mean nothing else made sense (John 20.8).
Mary: It’s a shame you didn’t see the young man/men/angel. They’d have spelled it out for you like they did for us.
John: Don’t worry, we’ll bring them into the story later and we’ll have two angels for good measure. (John 20.12).
Mary: So while I was waiting there alone…
Thomas: Wait, you were there alone? I thought you said you ran away with the other women (Mark 16.8)?
Mary: Yes, that’s right, I did. I must’ve gone back later (John 20.11) and suddenly I saw this, like, apparition. At first, I thought it was the gardener…
Thomas: You mean you didn’t know who it was?
Mary: No, I didn’t, which I agree was a bit odd, but then I realized it must be him, the Master, I mean. Who else could it have been?
Thomas: Well, if it was anyone at all, I’d have thought it more likely it was the gardener than a body back from the dead.
Mary: I suppose, but it just felt like the Master to me. I so wanted to see him again.
Thomas: Did he have holes in his hands and a wound in his side (John 20.27)? Surely that would’ve told you it was him.
Mary: I can’t recall now. But anyway, it was him.
Thomas: How’d you know?
Mary: ‘Cos’ he spoke to me. He said, ‘Keep your hands off me, woman, because I’ve not yet… ascended’ (John 20.17, 20).
Thomas: What did that mean? If he was back like you said then how come you couldn’t touch him?
Mary: Well, I don’t know, you’d have to ask him.
Thomas: And how we gonna do that, him being dead and all?
Mary: He’s not dead, I tell you, and you’re all just jealous ‘cos I did better than all of you. I saw him in person and he talked to me!
Peter: All of you, just stop a minute and listen. Can you hear it?
Thomas: No.
Peter: Can you feel it?
Mary: Yes, I can. I can sense his presence (Luke 24.36-37).
John: He’s here with us. He’s back. Hallelujah!
Mary: It’s as if he’s standing right in front of us, talking to us.
John: Yes, that’s exactly what it’s like. He’s here with us. I can feel him. He’s back from the dead, I’m sure of it (John 20.19).
Peter: Let’s tell people we’ve seen him. They’re bound to believe us. I mean, we don’t live in a superstitious first-century backwater village for nothing.
Thomas: Jesus Christ! Next you’ll be trying to convince everyone that this story is actually true.

Witnesses Explain the Most Momentous Event in History

It sounds like you're trying to say the Bible contains contradictions. Fortunately, science knows all things including what happens when a person dies.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It sounds like you're trying to say the Bible contains contradictions. Fortunately, science knows all things including what happens when a person dies.
If you can read the self contradictions are obvious. And it appears that you have three logical fallacies in your second sentence. Congratulations!

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
If you can read the self contradictions are obvious. And it appears that you have three logical fallacies in your second sentence. Congratulations!

The contradiction is you don't understand when I'm being facetious.

I can read, have a Bachelor's in NT studies, and read the Bible more carefully than you, because I know the author.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The contradiction is you don't understand when I'm being facetious.

I can read, have a Bachelor's in NT studies, and read the Bible more carefully than you, because I know the author.

You clearly don't since the books of the Bible had multiple authors, most of them anonymous. A bachelors in NT studies is all but worthless if it comes from a biased source. And most of them are terribly biased out there. You have to try to reinterpret the Bible to excuse its obvious self contradictions where a person without bias can understand the Bible better than most believers can.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You clearly don't since the books of the Bible had multiple authors, most of them anonymous. A bachelors in NT studies is all but worthless if it comes from a biased source. And most of them are terribly biased out there. You have to try to reinterpret the Bible to excuse its obvious self contradictions where a person without bias can understand the Bible better than most believers can.

My Bachelor's is from a secular university where most religion professors are atheists or agnostic.

I don't have to "try to reinterpret" anything, but I know when people pull things out of context, don't understand Judaism and Hebraic thought, haven't even considered commonly available Greek and Hebrew to English tools and etc.

Your logic problem is you seem to think the last several billion people who've loved the Bible somehow missed "all the obvious contradictions." I call baloney.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My Bachelor's is from a secular university where most religion professors are atheists or agnostic.

I don't have to "try to reinterpret" anything, but I know when people pull things out of context, don't understand Judaism and Hebraic thought, haven't even considered commonly available Greek and Hebrew to English tools and etc.

Your logic problem is you seem to think the last several billion people who've loved the Bible somehow missed "all the obvious contradictions." I call baloney.
Then why do you have such a hard time understanding the flaws in the Bible? You denigrate it by trying to read parts of it literally that were never meant to be read that way. That implies that either you failed or your instructors did.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member

How do you reconcile the differences in the post resurrection stories?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Then why do you have such a hard time understanding the flaws in the Bible? You denigrate it by trying to read parts of it literally that were never meant to be read that way. That implies that either you failed or your instructors did.

You don't understand. Pick any contradiction you like--I've encountered hundreds of them--and I will show you a simple possibility to explain your particular "contradiction", although your real issue is deeper--your failure to understand how the last billion or so adherents to the Bible failed to see your contradiction as proposed!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You don't understand. Pick any contradiction you like--I've encountered hundreds of them--and I will show you a simple possibility to explain your particular "contradiction", although your real issue is deeper--your failure to understand how the last billion or so adherents to the Bible failed to see your contradiction as proposed!

Reinterpreting the Bible does not make the contradiction go away. "Apologetics" is simply a four syllable word that means "lying for Jesus".

And cognitive dissonance is a very powerful force on the human psyche.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
How do you reconcile the differences in the post resurrection stories?

1. Eyewitnesses to events, if they're honest, will emphasize certain details, differing from other writers/presenters
2. I've yet to see a post-resurrection "contradiction" that lacked a simple explanation/apologetic