• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most “Post-Christian” Cities in America

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I haven't seen any data on that assessment. Do you have such data? Overall, I know that culture plays a major part in homicide and suicide rates. Look at the various demographics of the US (or any country) and question why people kill themselves or others.
Christianity and the Murder Rate
What is your theory(theories)?
The religious have a pre-packaged set of do's and dont's. They don't have to think about ethics or moral principles. They have no real need to develop a strong, internalized set of moral principles. They have a set of external crutches -- easily lost or cast aside.
Atheists have nothing of the sort. They have to develop their own, internalized moral foundations. They have to think about the principles underlying their actions. They have to weigh their actions' results; their fairness, and not just their compliance with a list.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Crime rates coincide with religiosity? I thought the highest crime rates were in the Bible Belt.
Kind of looks like it.

US-Map-400x220.jpg

Top 10 states in America with the highest crime rates in 2018.
source

Skwim

Veteran Member
In the year 2015, the top 20 most highly ranked post-Christian cities as a group had a homicide rate of 6.5 murders per 100,000 persons, which compares unfavorable to the overall year 2015 national homicide rate of 4.9 murders per 100,000 inhabitants.
What's your evidence?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm going to hypothesize the climate is a major factor as to why the Bible Belt is more prone to violence than other regions. Many of the Bible Belt cities are in the south where the heat there makes people loose their cool or more criminally active there than how they would act in a more mild climate.
Have you considered the fact that the South is more an honor/ shame society than the North?
Culture of honor (Southern United States) - Wikipedia
The 5 (Unwritten) Rules of Honor-Shame Cultures

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Crime rates coincide with religiosity? I thought the highest crime rates were in the Bible Belt.

Kind of looks like it.

US-Map-400x220.jpg

Top 10 states in America with the highest crime rates in 2018.
source

Also, as I and Valjean were just discussing, ethnic differences i.e. Mexican American Hispanic ethnicity, could be a major factor as to why southern states where the Bible Belt happens to also be located has higher crime rates than the northern states outside of the Bible Belt.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ummm, only the stupid ones less intelligent people accept things without question. Smarter people investigate.
Hence the higher rates of atheism among the educated classes?
Disagreed. I know that upsets you but it's true. Atheists, like Theists, vary in their beliefs but in general they strongly believe their beliefs.
True. Atheists believe in relativity, the inverse square law, natural selection and the coming sunrise tomorrow morning -- because they have strong evidence supporting these beliefs/expectations, but unevidenced, unsupported beliefs -- not so much. These are the domain of the faithful.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Excellent point. Also include, much to the consternation of atheists, the fact their beliefs are as much a religion as anything else.

Just like the hobby of not collecting stamps eh?

Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
Anything else you add to that is down to your own propensity to misrepresent

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The post I quoted is a start. :)

Like most Theists, most Atheists are quiet, unassuming people minding their own business. On forums, not so much. Here we see the worst of both. The most obnoxious and the most self-righteous. Of course, both are so self-righteous they deny it among their own and strongly condemn those they oppose.

Chuckling at the irony of the poster who has tried the "self righteous atheist" ploy several times in this thread

Sapiens

Polymathematician
  1. Do not believe in God - Don't
  2. Disagree that faith is important in their lives - Faith is irrelevant
  3. Have not prayed to God (in the last week) - Have not ever
  4. Have never made a commitment to Jesus - Never
  5. Disagree the Bible is accurate - A collection of mythology
  6. Have not donated money to a church (in the last year) - Damn food pantry.
  7. Have not attended a Christian church (in the last 6 months) - Help out at the food pantry.
  8. Agree that Jesus committed sins - Disagree, fictional characters can not, in fact, sin.
  9. Do not feel a responsibility to “share their faith" - Nope
  10. Have not read the Bible (in the last week) - but I have ... to show its errors.
  11. Have not volunteered at church (in the last week) - Help out at the food pantry.
  12. Have not attended Sunday school (in the last week) - Not since a preteen visiting my religious ma
  13. Have not attended religious small group (in the last week) - Never
  14. Bible engagement scale: low (have not read the Bible in the past week and disagree strongly or somewhat that the Bible is accurate) - Low
  15. Not Born Again - Once is all that is needed

I wonder how these would compare to tests comparing IQ, critical thinking, education or prosperity.
Not everyone with a high IQ is an atheist, but more than 90% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences are athiests.

Anyone else see the irony in self-righteous atheists clamoring about being free of self-righteous Christians?
Any one see the irony is self-righteous Trump Republicans clamoring about keeping the government's hands off of their Medicare?
Excellent point. Also include, much to the consternation of atheists, the fact their beliefs are as much a religion as anything else.
Kinda hard to agree since I have no faith (using the religious definition) of any sort.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Anyone else see the irony in self-righteous atheists clamoring about being free of self-righteous Christians?
I for one do not see any irony, nor the existence of justification that you seem to be claiming to exist.

But I do acknowledge that there may be a weird feeling on seeing certain words and attitudes turned on their heads.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You may include that. But that would characterize dishonesty, which I would hope you would want to avoid.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The post I quoted is a start. :)

Like most Theists, most Atheists are quiet, unassuming people minding their own business. On forums, not so much. Here we see the worst of both. The most obnoxious and the most self-righteous. Of course, both are so self-righteous they deny it among their own and strongly condemn those they oppose.
Wow. Way to undermine your own claims.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

The Barna group, a Christian polling firm, has released its latest list of the most “post-Christian” cities in the country. It’s meant to serve as a warning, but it nicely doubles as a map of places you wouldn’t mind moving to one day. (Notice the lack of cities in the Deep South.)

Post-Christian20192-1024x786.jpg

To qualify as “post-Christian,” individuals must meet nine or more of our 16 criteria (listed below), which identify a lack of Christian identity, belief and practice. These factors include whether individuals identify as atheist, have never made a commitment to Jesus, have not attended church in the last year or have not read the Bible in the last week. These kinds of questions — compared to ticking the “Christian” box in a census — get beyond how people loosely identify themselves (affiliation) and to the core of what people actually believe and how they behave as a result of their belief (practice). These indicators give a much more accurate picture of belief and unbelief in America.​
In other words, these are the cities where religion is most likely to be considered an afterthought. 20 of them have a post-Christian “score” of 50% or greater — only 10 cities fit that description two years ago — and many are found in the Northeast and West Coast.

That list of criteria makes for a nice checklist, too. What’s your score?!

Do not believe in God
Disagree that faith is important in their lives
Have not prayed to God (in the last week)
Have never made a commitment to Jesus
Disagree the Bible is accurate
Have not donated money to a church (in the last year)
Have not attended a Christian church (in the last 6 months)
Agree that Jesus committed sins
Do not feel a responsibility to “share their faith”
Have not read the Bible (in the last week)
Have not volunteered at church (in the last week)
Have not attended Sunday school (in the last week)
Have not attended religious small group (in the last week)
Bible engagement scale: low (have not read the Bible in the past week and disagree strongly or somewhat that the Bible is accurate)
Not Born Again

PostChristian20193-699x1024.jpg
But at least it gives Godless Americans a goal. The highest market on the list, Springfield-Holyoke, Massachusetts, only has a score of 66%. That includes 87% of people who haven’t read the Bible in the past week, 65% who haven’t attended a Christian church in the past six months, and 47% who haven’t prayed to God in the past week.
source

Why would I mind moving to these places? Sounds like extra amounts of godless sinners for me to evangelize off line! THANKS FOR THE HELP! I'll pray for these cities now, and for you, too, that you will stop trolling believers with every other post at RF.

A Vestigial Mote

What’s your score?.
86.6%

2 points that didn't necessarily reflect/represent me:
Disagree the Bible is accurate
I do believe The Bible to be ridiculously inaccurate on a great many things, but it may have some bits that are fact in there among those that aren't. I just don't know how much I actually know for certain is inaccurate to gauge it as "accurate" or "inaccurate" on the whole.
Agree that Jesus committed sins
The esoteric nature of "sin" notwithstanding - I'm not going to pretend to know what someone named "Jesus" did or did not do 2,000+ years ago, nor do I care to hear the ideas of those who do claim to know.