• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Meaning of Life

orcel

Amature Theologian
Anyone have an answer?

Here's mine: Have Faith, Have Love, Have Fun. As a fundemental Christian I believe the entire Bibie can be summed up with these three commands. Any objection?

orcel

Amature Theologian
to Seyorni, I suggest they are commands, and therefore the purpose for our creation, and therefore meaning.

Where Is God

Creator
I'm an atheist. I object. You are born, you make your own purposes/goals/meanings in life;then you die. Life is what you make of it.

Cordoba

From a Muslim perspective, life does have a purpose and a meaning

We are born on a small planet in this amazing universe, and we have the capability to learn and understand, with a level of intelligence which allows us to understand on the abstract level

Contemplating on life and the universe must lead us to think where did it all come from, what are we doing here and where will we go?

Finding out the right answers is what life is all about

For a Muslim, getting to know our Creator, and loving Him as He loves us is what makes this a happy life

stlekee

Fool for Wisdom
I suppose we all have to find our own meaning to life. I read a book by Victor Frankel called 'Man's search for meaning'. He was a prominent psychologist who wrote about his experiences in a Nazi concentration camp and how he had to find meaning in such a hellish existence. For him, the meaning was to survive and maintain his humanity towards his fellow prisoners.

For me the meaning of life is to enjoy life, enjoy the moment, accept what ever is.

Tathagata

Freethinker
"Life is a journey.
Death is a return to earth.
The universe is like an inn.
The passing years are like dust.
Regard this phantom world
As a star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp - a phantom - and a dream."

-- the Buddha
[Vairacchedika 32; Diamond Sutra]

The meaning of life is that it's meant to be lived. Our most basic instincts tell us this. Do what makes you happy so long as it doesn't unfairly hurt others, and try to do things that benefit more than just yourself. To be a producing member of society, skilled at your craft, taking what you need for yourself, and helping others as much as you see fit... that's a life well lived if you ask me.

Looncall

Anyone have an answer?

Here's mine: Have Faith, Have Love, Have Fun. As a fundemental Christian I believe the entire Bibie can be summed up with these three commands. Any objection?

Let's start at the beginning. What do you intend to convey by the word "life" here, and by the word "meaning'? Further, how do you know that "meaning" is applicable to "life"?

I suspect that this "meaning of life" notion is a category error used to mislead people.

Krok

Anyone have an answer?

I don't think life has "meaning"as in "reason for life". To me my "meaning" in life is just what I make out of it.

To me having faith is the opposite of "meaning". I get "meaning" of life by questioning everything. Working towards finding out the truth gives my life "meaning". Blind "faith" gives absolutely no "meaning" in my life.

I only have "faith" in a some methods, like the scientific method, and only because the scientific method has proved itself to be the best method for learning more in life and getting closer to the truth.

And, oh, I also enjoy love and fun. This also gives life "meaning" for me. No religion involved.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
Anyone have an answer?

"You are worthy,Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor, and the power, because you created all things and because of your will they existed and were created" (Revelation 4:11)
The true meaning of life is therefore to do the will of God, and glorify Him. We exist because He created us. Thus we exist because He willed it, and wants us to know and serve Him. Those who do will live forever. (i John 2:17)

littledb

What a wonderful outlook! I too share your faith and send you prayers of strength throughout your life here on earth! May I see you at least in the hereafter my friend! :)

littledb

The meaning of life is to laugh at people who think they have the meaning of life figured out.

It's kinda funny you say that, I feel the same way. However, it's always good to have a game plan and figuring in love and happiness seems like a plus to me! Peace friend. :)

Where Is God

Creator
There is no meaning our purpose in life. Our conscience is like watching a movie of our daily lives. Sometimes it kicks in to make big decisions. Otherwise life begins, then it ends.

littledb

The meaning of life is that it's meant to be lived. Our most basic instincts tell us this. Do what makes you happy so long as it doesn't unfairly hurt others, and try to do things that benefit more than just yourself. To be a producing member of society, skilled at your craft, taking what you need for yourself, and helping others as much as you see fit... that's a life well lived if you ask me.

In all endeavors, include Love in your heart. Where does that come from? I'm curious of your answer. :)