• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES

3rdAngel

No its not. There is NO other place in the bible where specifically the "Lord's Day" is mentioned. I don't even bother to read your posts on this anymore, because all you do is quote verses that have nothing to do with the "Lord's Day."
Yes it is and highlighted for you and for all to see in post # 3316 you chose to ignore and not respond to. Read the post and respond to all the scriptures and the Greek word meanings that are in disagreement with you if you disagree that prove Gods owner ship of the day (Sabbath).

3rdAngel

Thank you, and I agree. Please forgive my overarching liberty that I took.

There is the day Sabbath, the seventh day where men ceased from work.
Then there is the rest of the land every 7th year where agriculturist took a year of rest and simply lived off of the fruit that the land gave.
The rest that I am talking about is the year of Jubilee, where all debts are paid for, the land rested, people rested and it was a year of jubilee.

Do I have that correct?
They are not the same thing. Gods seventh day Sabbath of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) is not the same as the Sabbath of the land. There are many different types of sabbaths in the Hebrew bible that are not the same as Gods 7th day Sabbath of the 10 commandments.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes it is and highlighted for you in post # 3316 you chose to ignore and not respond to. Read the post and respond to all the scriptures and the Greek word meanings that are in disagreement with you if you disagree that prove Gods owner ship of the day (Sabbath).
Nope, I am NOT going to bother reading any further texts from you on this subject. You make obvious errors, such as quoting verses on teh Day of the Lord, or verses on Jesus being lord of the Sabbath, etc etc etc NONE of which say squat about the Lord's Day.

3rdAngel

Nope, I am NOT going to bother reading any further texts from you on this subject. You make obvious errors, such as quoting verses on teh Day of the Lord, or verses on Jesus being lord of the Sabbath, etc etc etc NONE of which say squat about the Lord's Day.
It is you that is in obvious error and this is demonstrated in your inability to prove your claims from the scriptures in the posts you are quoting from that are in disagreement with you. This only proves that Isaiah 6:9-10 is fulfilled in your ears because you choose not to believe the scriptures shared with you which are Gods Words not mine that you deny with your words that are not Gods.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And where in Rev 1:10 does it say anything about "the Lord's Day" being Saturday or the Shabbat? It doesn't.

As you have been told MANY times, the Bible never says which day of the week is "the Lord's Day." But other first century Christain writings indicate that it is Sunday, the day Jesus is reputed to have risen from the dead.

The very early Church celebrated both days with Sunday being the "Agape Meal" [communal meal]. However, the main observance gradually went to Sunday for the reason you mention plus that Gentiles are not bound by Jewish Law as you well know.

metis

It is you that is in obvious error and this is demonstrated in your inability to prove your claims from the scriptures in the posts you are quoting from that are in disagreement with you. This only proves that Isaiah 6:9-10 is fulfilled in your ears because you choose not to believe the scriptures shared with you which are Gods Words not mine that you deny with your words that are not Gods.
So now you speak for God? Seems that you simply do not understand that different people can and often do have differing interpretations.

metis

They are not the same thing. Gods seventh day Sabbath of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) is not the same as the Sabbath of the land. There are many different types of sabbaths in the Hebrew bible that are not the same as Gods 7th day Sabbath of the 10 commandments.
If you read Exodus, you will see that the Ten Commandments are the first 10 of many more Commandments that Moses said were from God. A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) - Judaism 101 (JewFAQ)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The very early Church celebrated both days with Sunday being the "Agape Meal" [communal meal]. However, the main observance gradually went to Sunday for the reason you mention plus that Gentiles are not bound by Jewish Law as you well know.
I figured as much. I wonder if it became Sunday only because of the animosity created when Rome destroyed Jerusalem and the continued growing divide between those who believed in the Messiah with those who didn’t.

metis

I figured as much. I wonder if it became Sunday only because of the animosity created when Rome destroyed Jerusalem and the continued growing divide between those who believed in the Messiah with those who didn’t.
I think it's more that the percentage of Gentiles seem to rapidly outpace the number of Jews within the Way. Jews were expected to observe Shabbat because they're under Jewish Law. My understanding, although I can't remember where from, was that in a mixed marriage full observance of Jewish Law was not essential.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes, I agree, because the earliest Church, the Nazarenes, were all Jews who still followed Judaism, and their religion was still a sect of Judaism. But due to Paul's efforts, a proto-orthodox church was established that was Gentile and not law abiding. This Pauline church eventually stamped out all other expressions, and even eventually made it a crime to observe the Sabbath. If I remember correctly, we agree on this. :)

metis

Yes, I agree, because the earliest Church, the Nazarenes, were all Jews who still followed Judaism, and their religion was still a sect of Judaism. But due to Paul's efforts, a proto-orthodox church was established that was Gentile and not law abiding. This Pauline church eventually stamped out all other expressions, and even eventually made it a crime to observe the Sabbath. If I remember correctly, we agree on this. :)
Ya, you finally came around! ;)

3rdAngel

Gods 10 commandments are not Jewish only law. Everyone of them are repeated all through the old and new testament scriptures as the standard of Christian living and breaking anyone of them is sin in Gods eyes (James 2:10-11; 1 John 3:4; Romans 3:19-20; Romans 7:7;) and the only test to know if we know God or do not know Him (1 John 2:3-4).

3rdAngel

So now you speak for God? Seems that you simply do not understand that different people can and often do have differing interpretations.
No God speaks for himself through His Word (the scriptures). I understand that there is only one interpretation of what is true and what is not true. The test of what is true is the fruit. Jesus says you shall know then by their fruits. Those who do not believe and obey what Gods Word says and teach others to do the same do not know God according to 1 John 2:3-4.

3rdAngel

If you read Exodus, you will see that the Ten Commandments are the first 10 of many more Commandments that Moses said were from God. A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) - Judaism 101
The Messiah has come and we are in the new covenant now not the old. According to the scriptures the purpose of Gods 10 commandments is to give us the knowledge of GOOD and RIGHT DOING when obeyed and SIN AND EVIL when disobeyed (see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; James 2:10-11; 1 John 3:4 and Psalms 119:172). We no longer need to follow the ceremonial shadow laws of atonement from a Levitical Priesthood in an earthly Sanctuary doing animal sacrifices and sin offerings that all pointed to the coming of Gods promised Messiah in Jesus. These shadow laws are now fulfilled in Christ to who they pointed to and are continued in His work on our behalf in the heavenly Sanctuary of which the earthly was only a copy (see Hebrews 7:1-27; Hebrews 8:1-13; Hebrews 9:1-27 and Hebrews 10:1-22). There are only 10 commandments in Gods 10 commandments not 9/10 or 613 that are Gods standard of good and evil (see Exodus 34:28; Deuteronomy 4:13; Deuteronomy 10:4-5).

3rdAngel

I think it's more that the percentage of Gentiles seem to rapidly outpace the number of Jews within the Way. Jews were expected to observe Shabbat because they're under Jewish Law. My understanding, although I can't remember where from, was that in a mixed marriage full observance of Jewish Law was not essential.
The Sabbath is one of Gods 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of good and right doing when obeyed and sin and evil when disobeyed according to the scriptures (See Exodus 20:3-17; Exodus 20:8-11; James 2:10-11; 1 John 3:4; Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; Psalms 119:172). As the Sabbath is one of Gods 10 commandments and our duty of love to God just like any one of Gods 10 commandments God expects us to obey it. Not doing so is sin in Gods eyes (James 2:10-11; 1 John 3:4; Romans 7:7). Just like anyone of Gods 10 commandments if we break anyone of them we stand guilty before God of sin and death (Romans 3:19-20; Romans 6:23; James 2:10-11). Sunday worship as a replacement for not obeying Gods 4th commandment is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word against the very warnings of Jesus given in Matthew 15:3-9.

3rdAngel

Yes, I agree, because the earliest Church, the Nazarenes, were all Jews who still followed Judaism, and their religion was still a sect of Judaism. But due to Paul's efforts, a proto-orthodox church was established that was Gentile and not law abiding. This Pauline church eventually stamped out all other expressions, and even eventually made it a crime to observe the Sabbath. If I remember correctly, we agree on this.
I have never heard such nonsense. You obviously do not read the bible.

metis

The Messiah has come and we are in the new covenant now not the old. According to the scriptures the purpose of Gods 10 commandments is to give us the knowledge of GOOD and RIGHT DOING when obeyed and SIN AND EVIL when disobeyed (see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; James 2:10-11; 1 John 3:4 and Psalms 119:172). We no longer need to follow the ceremonial shadow laws of atonement from a Levitical Priesthood in an earthly Sanctuary doing animal sacrifices and sin offerings that all pointed to the coming of Gods promised Messiah in Jesus. These shadow laws are now fulfilled in Christ to who they pointed to and are continued in His work on our behalf in the heavenly Sanctuary of which the earthly was only a copy (see Hebrews 7:1-27; Hebrews 8:1-13; Hebrews 9:1-27 and Hebrews 10:1-22). There are only 10 commandments in Gods 10 commandments not 9/10 or 613 that are Gods standard of good and evil (see Exodus 34:28; Deuteronomy 4:13; Deuteronomy 10:4-5).
The reality is that one simply cannot separate the 10 from the 613 Commandments that Torah says were all inspired by God. However, those are only mandatory for those of Jewish ancestry.

For us Gentiles, Jesus' Two Commandments is what we are taught to follow, and you should know that.

metis

No God speaks for himself through His Word (the scriptures).

But even common sense should t ell all that intelligent people can read the same exact narrative but draw some differing interpretations. Anyone involved in serious Torah/Bible study should know that.

The test of what is true is the fruit. Jesus says you shall know then by their fruits.

Exactly! And those "fruits" are referred to in Jesus' Two Commandments.