• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES

3rdAngel

Speaking of which do you think God rests on Sunday or whichever day you think is the Sabbath day? Rests from all His work, or whatever?
Again, what do the scriptures say? Jesus says in Mark 2:27 that God made the Sabbath for mankind. Gods Sabbath commandment is a memorial of creation and a celebration of God as our creator. Just like lying, stealing, murder and committing adultery and like everyone of Gods 10 commandment if we break anyone of them it is sin according to the scriptures (see James 2:10-11; 1 John 3:4; Romans 7:7 and Romans 3:20). Sunday worship as a replacement for Gods 4th commandment is a man-made teaching and tradition that has let many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God. Jesus says in Matthew 15:3-9 if we follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word we are not worshiping God. This of course begs the question. Who do we believe and follow God or man? This is the testing question that is coming to everyone of us. Its time to unlearn the lies we have all been taught at Sunday school. Read the scriptures. They do not teach what you and many others here are teaching.

Take Care.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

3rdAngel

3rdAngel said: Well that is not true Kenny and cherry picking scripture out of its context does not support your claims here either. I never said to you that there was an 8th day so I do not know what you are talking about here. So I guess you have no response to the post you were quoting from Kenny? Lets be honest now. You did not post a single scripture earlier that says Gods seventh day Sabbath commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest in honor of the resurrection of Jesus or that Sunday or the first day of the week is "the Lords day" now did you.
Your response here..
This is so wrong on so many points. Here are three
1) You have basically judged people on Sabbaths - which you were told not to.
2) Every day is a holy day for me... I have entered into the eternal Sabbath fulfilling the commandment
3) There is a difference between "no single scripture" vs "I don't like your scriptures"
Well that is not true but let me show you why.

1). Firstly the scriptures (not me) tell us we are to judge righteous judgement. That is we can make judgements according to right doing and to what is true (see John 7:24). According to the scriptures only Gods Word is the standard of what is true and what is not true (John 17:17). The purpose of Gods 10 commandments is to give us the knowledge of good (moral right doing when obeyed) and evil (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); sin (moral wrong doing when disobeyed) and righteousness (moral right doing when obeyed) *see Psalms 119:172; 1 John 3:4; Romans 7:7; Romans 3:20. So according to the scriptures we can judge of someone is obeying Gods law or disobeying Gods law. As Gods people we have a duty of love to help others who are in sin and unbelief find their way back to God (see Ezekiel 3:17-21; Matthew 28:18-20; Matthew 3:2; Mark 6:12; Luke 13:3-5; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 8:22; 17:30-31..etc. etc.)

2). According to the scriptures, every day is NOT a holy day. According to Gods Sabbath commandment of God's 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4) God set apart the seventh day as a memorial of creation and a holy day of rest where no work is to be done (see Genesis 2:1-3 and Exodus 20:8-11). So everyday is not the Sabbath day of Gods 10 commandments. According to the scriptures only the seventh day of the week is Gods Sabbath. Gods Sabbath commandment say to Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy, six days you can do all your work but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you will do no work..." As shown through the scriptures earlier, no one enters into Gods Sabbath rest if they do not believe Gods Word and continue in sin (breaking Gods law) and unbelief (not believing Gods Word). So no dear friend you do not enter Gods Sabbath rest by breaking Gods Sabbath. The bible defines this as sin (1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11) and those who continue in known unrepentant sin according to Hebrews 10:26-31 are in danger of the judgement to come unless they repent and turn back to God.

3). Lets be honest Kenny. You have not posted a single scripture have you that says Gods Sabbath commandment has now been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest in honor of the resurrection of Jesus. Sunday worship as a replacement for Gods 4th commandment is a man-made teaching and tradition that has let many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God. Jesus says in Matthew 15:3-9 if we follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word we are not worshiping God. This of course begs the question. Who do we believe and follow God or man? This is the testing question that is coming to everyone of us. Its time to unlearn the lies we have all been taught at Sunday school. Read the scriptures. They do not teach what you and many others here are teaching.

More to come.... I will keep each post shorter

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Not necessarily as it depends on the season. (e.g. summer longer days and winter shorter). According to the scriptures as posted earlier for you, a day in Gods time includes the darkness of night first followed by the daylight or day second. The evening (darkness) and the morning of daylight comes second. Together, the night and the daylight make up a day.

GENESIS 1:5 5, And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
GENESIS 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
GENESIS 1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.
GENESIS 1:19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
GENESIS 1:23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
GENESIS 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Again, that is why we have a SEVEN DAY WEEK AND GOD'S SABBATH COMMANDMENT in Exodus 20:8-11 which is simply every seventh day of the week. Its a memorial of the finished work of creation. (see Genesis 2:1-3).

Again, where does it say that the days of creation are not a normal day as we have them today or that the seventh day is not finished? If the seventh day was not finished we would not have a seven day week. Think your argument through. Forgive me dear friend but I prefer what the scriptures say.

Take Care.
Um...I think it's nuts to think the days of creation are seasonal in length. Bye for now. Night and day were considered as one...DAY. Just like a new DAY begins and lasts 24 hours.

3rdAngel

3rdAngel said: According to Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 no one enters into Gods seventh day Sabbath rest if they do not believe and obey what Gods Word says. According to Hebrews 3:8-19 no one enters into Gods rest in sin (breaking Gods law) and unbelief (not believing Gods Word). This is a warning to all those who do not believe Gods Word and break His commandments. Context is king here and you are disregarding it. Happy to prove why if you are interested.
Your response here..
Again... a violation of so many scriptures. Hebrews 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

1) The sin was "not believing" - That which is not of faith is sin. I have entered into rest and have ceased from works as God did... you would like to reestablish your works as the modus of operandi.
2) Taking the whole of Hebrews - "Without faith it is impossible to please God" - not "Without works..." There is a work that comes from faith but it is not by works lest any man should boast.
3) You just negated the sacrifice for sins as stipulated by Hebrews. Are you perfect in works? For that matter, are you perfect in faith? Are you saying you have not sinned?
4) No one is justified by the law... if you have broken one part of the law, you have broken all ... you are justified by faith for the just shall live by faith.

Thus, I am in my year of Jubilee, my debt is paid for and now am in the eternal Sabbath... for me, it is the eternal 7th day as I have ceased from my "works". You may do works because you "have to" - I have works because I want to. You may condemn yourself for not being perfect in the commandments of the Law - I have no condemnation because I walk by the Spirit of life. There is no 8th day - won't you enter into His rest?
Hi Kenny, what you post has no truth in it but let me show you what the scriptures actually say now so we can see what the scriptures (not me) say. I have studied this topic in detail Kenny, let it be a blessing for you.

GOD'S WARNINGS AGAINST SIN AND UNBELIEF AND BREAKING THE SABBATH HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4

Let's look at the scriptures in detail that prove that Gods people in the wilderness did not enter into Gods Sabbath rest because of their sins defined in the scriptures as breaking Gods law and unbelief or not believing and obeying Gods Word (see 1 John 3:4 and Romans 14:23).

HEBREWS 3:8-19
8, HARDEN NOT YOUR HEARTS, AS IN THE PROVOCATION, IN THE DAY OF TEMPTATION IN THE WILDERNESS:
9, When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
10, Why I WAS GRIEVED WITH THAT GENERATION, AND SAID, THEY DO ALWAYS ERR IN THEIR HEART; AND THEY HAVE NOT KNOWN MY WAYS.
11, SO I SWORE IN MY WRATH, THEY SHALL NOT ENTER INTO MY REST.
12, TAKE HEED, BROTHERS, LEST THERE BE IN ANY OF YOU AN EVIL HEART OF UNBELIEF, IN DEPARTING FROM THE LIVING GOD.
13, But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; LEST ANY OF YOU BE HARDENED THROUGH THE DECEITFULNESS OF SIN.
14, For we are made partakers of Christ, IF WE HOLD THE BEGINNING OF OUR CONFIDENCE STEADFAST TO THE END;
15, While it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, HARDEN NOT YOUR HEARTS, as in the provocation.
16, For some, when they had heard, did provoke: however, not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
17, BUT WITH WHOM WAS HE GRIEVED FORTY YEARS? WAS IT NOT WITH THEM THAT HAD SINNED, WHOSE CARCASSES FELL IN THE WILDERNESS?
18, And to whom swore he THAT THEY SHOULD NOT ENTER INTO HIS REST, BUT TO THEM THAT BELIEVED NOT?
19, So we see that they COULD NOT ENTER IN BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF.

KEY POINTS TO NOTE FROM THE SCRIPTURES IN HEBREWS 3 WORD FOR WORD
  • Hebrews 3:8 A warning not to harden our hearts to God's Word
  • Hebrews 3:9-10 Those in the wilderness tempted God 40 years and did not obey him or his ways
  • Hebrews 3:11 God swore they would not enter into "His Rest" (Genesis 2:1-3; see Ezekiel 20:10-13)
  • Hebrews 3:12 Another warning not to harden our hearts in unbelief departing from God
  • Hebrews 3:13 Encourage one and other lest we harden our hearts in sin (breaking Gods' law 1 John 3:4)
  • Hebrews 3:14 We are only partakers of Christ "IF" we hold the the faith steadfast to the end
  • Hebrews 3:15-17 More warnings not to harden our hearts as those who sinned died in the wilderness
  • Hebrews 3:18-19 God did not let them enter into "His rest" because they were in unbelief
Note: Hebrews 3 and it's link to Ezekiel 20:10-13 how God's people were breaking "His Sabbath" and God poured out his judgements on them...

EZEKIEL 20:10-13 [10], Why I caused them to go forth out of the land of Egypt and BROUGHT THEM INTO THE WILDERNESS. [11], and I GAVE THEM MY STATUTES, AND SHOWED THEM MY JUDGMENTS, WHICH IF A MAN DO, HE SHALL LIVE IN THEM. [12], MOREOVER ALSO I GAVE THEM MY SABBATHS, TO BE A SIGN BETWEEN ME AND THEM THAT THEY MAY KNOW THAT I AM THE LORD THAT SANCTIFY THEM. [13], BUT THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL REBELLED AGAINST ME IN THE WILDERNESS: THEY WALKED NOT IN MY STATUTES AND DESPISED MY JUDGMENTS WHICH IF A MAN DO THEY SHALL LIVE IN THEM AND MY SABBATHS THEY GREATLY POLLUTED: THEN I SAID I WOULD POUR OUT MY FURY ON THEM IN THE WILDERNESS, TO CONSUME THEM.

Note
: Hebrews 3 and it's links to Psalms 95:2-11 and Ezekiel 20:10-13 which is also over worshiping God as the God of creation and the Sabbath commandment and not entering God's rest (the seventh day created from the foundation of the world)...

PSALMS 95:2-11
[2], Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise to him with psalms.
[3], For THE LORD IS A GREAT GOD, AND A GREAT KING ABOVE ALL GODS.
[4], In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also.
[5], THE SEA IS HIS, AND HE MADE IT: AND HIS HANDS FORMED THE DRY LAND.
[6], O come, let us worship and bow down: let us KNEEL BEFORE THE LORD OUR MAKER.
[7], FOR HE IS OUR GOD; AND WE ARE THE PEOPLE OF HIS PASTURE, AND THE SHEEP OF HIS HAND. TODAY IF YOU WILL HEAR HIS VOICE,
[8], HARDEN NOT YOUR HEART, AS IN THE PROVOCATION, AND AS IN THE DAY OF TEMPTATION IN THE WILDERNESS:
[9], WHEN YOUR FATHERS TEMPTED ME, PROVED ME, AND SAW MY WORK.
[10], FORTY YEARS LONG WAS I GRIEVED WITH THIS GENERATION, AND SAID, IT IS A PEOPLE THAT DO ERR IN THEIR HEART, AND THEY HAVE NOT KNOWN MY WAYS:
[11], TO WHOM I SWORE IN MY WRATH THAT THEY SHOULD NOT ENTER INTO MY REST.

Note the link back to what Hebrews 3 is quoting....
  • Psalms 95:2-7 is worshiping the only true creator God of heaven and earth. Today if you hear His voice…. (“This is the another day” in Hebrews 4:7-8 spoken of by David ….. for if Joshua had given them rest – (promised land) David would not have spoken of “another day” saying “Today if you hear His voice harden not your hearts as in the provocation in the wilderness. Gods’ people were still hardening their hearts in sin and unbelief)
  • Psalms 95:8 "Harden not your hearts as in the provocation in the wilderness (see Hebrews 3:8)
  • Psalms 95:9 "When your fathers tempted me 40 years" (see Hebrews 3:9)
  • Psalms 95:10 40 years Gods' people did not know God's ways (Hebrews 3:10)
  • Psalms 95:11 Because God's people did not know God's ways they did not enter His rest (Hebrews 3:11)
SUMMARY: Hebrews 3 is has links to Ezekiel 20:10-12 and is directly quoting from Psalms 95 which is about worshiping the only true God and creator of heaven and earth. God's people did not know God's ways and broke His Sabbaths and God did not give them His rest. They could not enter into God's rest because of unbelief and sin and God poured out His judgements on them because they broke his Sabbaths and they died in the wilderness because of their unbelief and sins.

Let's define what Gods' rest/My rest/His rest is from the scriptures in the next post

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Again, what do the scriptures say? Jesus says in Mark 2:27 that God made the Sabbath for mankind. Gods Sabbath commandment is a memorial of creation and a celebration of God as our creator. Just like lying, stealing, murder and committing adultery and like everyone of Gods 10 commandment if we break anyone of them it is sin according to the scriptures (see James 2:10-11; 1 John 3:4; Romans 7:7 and Romans 3:20). Sunday worship as a replacement for Gods 4th commandment is a man-made teaching and tradition that has let many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God. Jesus says in Matthew 15:3-9 if we follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word we are not worshiping God. This of course begs the question. Who do we believe and follow God or man? This is the testing question that is coming to everyone of us. Its time to unlearn the lies we have all been taught at Sunday school. Read the scriptures. They do not teach what you and many others here are teaching.

Take Care.
So I usually don't read long posts, sorry, but are you saying that God takes a day off every week?? It's a yes or no answer really.

3rdAngel

@Kenny continuing now into Hebrews 4.

WHAT IS GOD'S REST OF HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4?

HEBREWS 4:1-11

[1], LET US THEREFORE FEAR, LEST, A PROMISE BEING LEFT US OF ENTERING INTO HIS REST, ANY OF YOU SHOULD SEEM TO COME SHORT OF IT.
[2], FOR TO US WAS THE GOSPEL PREACHED, AS WELL AS TO THEM: BUT THE WORD PREACHED DID NOT PROFIT THEM, NOT BEING MIXED WITH FAITH IN THEM THAT HEARD IT.
[3], For WE WHICH HAVE BELIEVED DO ENTER INTO REST, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into MY REST: ALTHOUGH THE WORKS WERE FINISHED FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.
[4], For he spoke in a certain place of the SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And God did rest the SEVENTH DAY from all his works.
[5] And in this place again, If they shall enter into MY REST.

KEY POINTS FROM THE SCRIPTURES OF HEBREWS 4:1-5

• Hebrews 4:6 Some must enter into Gods seventh day Sabbath rest but those who did not believe did not enter into Gods' rest
  • Hebrews 4:2 Because unto us was the gospel preached as well us unto them but they did not believe
  • Hebrews 4:3 We who believe (present tense) enter into God's rest from the foundation of the world
  • Hebrews 4:4 Reference of Hebrews 4:3 is to the Gods' Sabbath rest of the "seventh day" (Genesis 2:1-3)
  • Hebrews 4:4-5 God's rest is the seventh day Sabbath of creation that we enter into by faith (Genesis 2:1-3)
NOTE: The context in Hebrews 4:1-5 is God's Rest from the seventh day Sabbath from the foundation of the world (v4-5) and those who enter Gods rest by and believing and following Gods Word [the gospel] who enter into God's Sabbath rest as God did on the seventh day of the week. The context here defining God’s rest/My rest/His rest is to God’s seventh day Sabbath rest created at the foundation of the world that those who believe or do not believe God's WORD do or do not enter into. The new testament writer of Hebrews is warning us that if we do not believe and follow God's Word (the gospel) and continue in sin and unbelief (Hebrews 3:10-13; 18-19) we will never enter into God's rest (His Rest/My Rest) which is defined as the "seventh day" Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:1-5. There are two rests here. One is to the rest we enter into by believing and following Gods Word which is our rest and the rest we enter into by believing and following God’s Word to God’s rest which is the seventh day Sabbath. Hebrews 4:3-5 defines God's rest by saying [3], For we which have believed do enter into rest (our rest from or the gospel rest of believing and following God's Word), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest (God's rest): although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4], For he spoke in a certain place of the "seventh day" on this wise, And God did rest the "seventh day" from all his works. [5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest ("seventh day").

[6], SEEING THEREFORE IT REMAINS THAT SOME MUST ENTER THEREIN, AND THEY TO WHOM IT WAS FIRST PREACHED ENTERED NOT IN BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF: [7], AGAIN, HE LIMITS A CERTAIN DAY, SAYING IN DAVID, TO DAY, AFTER SO LONG A TIME; AS IT IS SAID, TODAY IF YOU WILL HEAR HIS VOICE, HARDEN NOT YOUR HEARTS. [8], FOR IF JOSHUA HAD GIVEN THEM REST, THEN WOULD HE NOT AFTERWARD HAVE SPOKEN OF ANOTHER DAY.

Reference back to what David is saying in reference to “another day

Psalms 95:2-11 [2], Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise to him with psalms.
[3], For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods. [4], In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also. [5], The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land. [6], O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. [7], For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if you will hear his voice, [8], Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness: [9], When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work. [10], Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways [11], To whom I swore in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.

NOTE: the link back to what Hebrews 3-4 is quoting....
  • Psalms 95:2-7 is worshiping the only true creator God of heaven and earth. To day if you hear His voice…. (“This is the another day” in Hebrews 4:7-8 spoken of by David ….. for if Joshua had given them rest – (promised land) David would not have spoken of “another day” saying “To day if you hear His voice harden not your hearts as in the provocation in the wilderness. Gods’ people were still hardening their hearts in sin and unbelief)
  • Psalms 95:8 "Harden not your hearts as in the provocation in the wilderness (see Hebrews 3:8)
  • Psalms 95:11 Because God's people did not know God's ways they did not enter His rest (Hebrews 3:11)
[9] SO THEN, IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.
[10], For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his. [11], Let us labor therefore to enter that rest, [God’s REST the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH] lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief [rejecting God’s WORD and sin; Hebrews 3].

KEY POINTS OF HEBREWS 4:9

Now notice Hebrews 4, verse 9: “SO THEN, IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.” In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismo means “a keeping of the Sabbath.” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.”

According to the Greek and scripture contexts of Hebrews 3:7-19 and Hebrews 4:1-9, Hebrews 4:9 is in regards to God’s seventh day Sabbath of the 4th commandment which in the context of Hebrews 4:1-5 which defines God’s rest/My rest/His rest (Hebrews 3:11; 18-19; Hebrews 4:1; 3; 5; 10) as the “seventh day” from the foundation of the world *Hebrews 4:3-4.

continued.....

3rdAngel

@Kenny continued...

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Hebrews 4:9 So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

Lamsa Bible
Hebrew 4:9 It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

For your interest, the Greek word used here for Sabbath is Sabbatismos and means a Sabbath keeping or keeping of the Sabbath or how the Sabbath is kept by resting.

GREEK INTERLINEAR
HEBREWS 4:9 άρα (Then) απολείπεται (there is left) σαββατισμός (a Sabbath keeping) τω (to the) λαώ (people) του θεού (of God)

GREEK LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT, Abbott-Smith - G4520
*† σαββατισμός, - οῦ, ὁ(< σαββατίζω, to keep the sabbath, Exod 16:30, al.),
a keeping sabbath, a sabbath rest: metaph., as in Mishna (Zorell, s.v.), Heb 4:9.†

LIDDEL/SCOTT/JONES GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON - G4520
σαββατισμός Σαββᾰτ-ισμός, ὁ, a keeping of days of rest, Ep. Heb 4:9, cf. Plu. 2.166a (codd., βαπτισμούς Bentley).

STRONGS Greek 4520: A keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest. From a derivative of sabbaton; a 'sabbatism', i.e. the repose of Christianity. for the τῷ () Article - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the. people λαῷ (laō) Noun - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2992: Apparently a primary word; a people of God. Θεοῦ (Theou) Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

STRONGS CONCORDENCE
sabbatismos: a sabbath rest Definition: a sabbath rest Usage (DOING): a keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest.

GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT. THAYER - G4520
G4520 — σαββατισμός σαββατισμου, ὁ (σαββατίζω to keep the sabbath);

W. E. VINE, GREEK DICTIONARY
Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. (Note the rest of Vines comments is not the Greek it is his opinion)

HEBREWS 4:9 [9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

SUMMARY
HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4 IS A WARNING!

Hebrews 3:7-19 to Hebrews 4:1-11 is warning us that if we do not believe and follow God's Word (the gospel) and we continue in sin and unbelief (Hebrews 3:10-13; 18-19) we will never enter into God's rest (His Rest/My Rest) which is defined as the "seventh day" Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:1-5. Hebrews 4:3-5 defines God's rest by saying [3], For we which have believed do enter into rest (our rest from or the gospel rest of believing and following God's Word), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest (God's rest): although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4], For he spoke in a certain place of the "seventh day" on this wise, And God did rest the "seventh day" from all his works. [5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest ("seventh day"). There are two rests being described. One is our rest we receive through believing and following God's Word (the gospel) *Matthew 11:28-30; Hebrews 4:2-3 and God's rest *Hebrews 3:11; 18; Hebrews 4:1; 3; 5-6; 8-9; 10-11. Hebrews 4:9 THEREFORE IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH. Why? Because the true seventh day Sabbath rest is a sign of God's true people who God sanctifies to keep all the commandments of God through faith in God's Word *Exodus 31:13; Exodus 31:17; Ezekiel 20:12; Ezekiel 20:20; Revelation 12:17; Revelation 22:14.

God's rest is the "seventh day Sabbath" of creation. Our rest is that of believing and following Gods' Word. No one enters into God's rest (defined in Hebrews as the "seventh day Sabbath") unless they believe and follow Gods' Word (the gospel rest). Of course God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) are a part of God's Word (the gospel) that God's people who enter into Gods rest believe and follow in Gods' Word just like Jesus did and the Apostles and prophets in Gods' Word. Everything provided here are not my words but have been taken directly from the scriptures which are God's Words not mine (exegesis). The warnings here are very clear. Those who do not believe and follow God's Word in order to continue in a life of known unrepentant sin (breaking anyone of God's commandments - James 2:10-11) just like those in the wilderness do not enter into Gods' rest (seventh day Sabbath) and will be in danger of the judgement to come (Hebrews 10:26-31). So no Kenny, none of us enter into Gods rest and Sabbath by breaking it. This is the very definition of sin if the bible and what Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is warning us against.

Take Care.

3rdAngel

Um...I think it's nuts to think the days of creation are seasonal in length. Bye for now. Night and day were considered as one...DAY. Just like a new DAY begins and lasts 24 hours.
Maybe you have a misunderstanding. Of course the seasons effect day (light) length or duration. It just means in winter the darkness (night time) is longer and the day time is shorter and the opposite occurs in summer.

YoursTrue

Maybe you have a misunderstanding. Of course the seasons effect day (light) length or duration. It just means in winter the darkness (night time) is longer and the day time is shorter and the opposite occurs in summer.
You are, I believe, deliberately not understanding. Every DAY of the week now is how many hours? Let's start there.
Guess it's hard for you. How many hours are there in each day? If you can't get that point, have a good day, evening, morning, afternoon,etc.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Your response here..

Hi Kenny, what you post has no truth in it but let me show you what the scriptures actually say now so we can see what the scriptures (not me) say. I have studied this topic in detail Kenny, let it be a blessing for you.

GOD'S WARNINGS AGAINST SIN AND UNBELIEF AND BREAKING THE SABBATH HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4

Let's look at the scriptures in detail that prove that Gods people in the wilderness did not enter into Gods Sabbath rest because of their sins defined in the scriptures as breaking Gods law and unbelief or not believing and obeying Gods Word (see 1 John 3:4 and Romans 14:23).

HEBREWS 3:8-19
8, HARDEN NOT YOUR HEARTS, AS IN THE PROVOCATION, IN THE DAY OF TEMPTATION IN THE WILDERNESS:
9, When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
10, Why I WAS GRIEVED WITH THAT GENERATION, AND SAID, THEY DO ALWAYS ERR IN THEIR HEART; AND THEY HAVE NOT KNOWN MY WAYS.
11, SO I SWORE IN MY WRATH, THEY SHALL NOT ENTER INTO MY REST.
12, TAKE HEED, BROTHERS, LEST THERE BE IN ANY OF YOU AN EVIL HEART OF UNBELIEF, IN DEPARTING FROM THE LIVING GOD.
13, But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; LEST ANY OF YOU BE HARDENED THROUGH THE DECEITFULNESS OF SIN.
14, For we are made partakers of Christ, IF WE HOLD THE BEGINNING OF OUR CONFIDENCE STEADFAST TO THE END;
15, While it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, HARDEN NOT YOUR HEARTS, as in the provocation.
16, For some, when they had heard, did provoke: however, not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
17, BUT WITH WHOM WAS HE GRIEVED FORTY YEARS? WAS IT NOT WITH THEM THAT HAD SINNED, WHOSE CARCASSES FELL IN THE WILDERNESS?
18, And to whom swore he THAT THEY SHOULD NOT ENTER INTO HIS REST, BUT TO THEM THAT BELIEVED NOT?
19, So we see that they COULD NOT ENTER IN BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF.

KEY POINTS TO NOTE FROM THE SCRIPTURES IN HEBREWS 3 WORD FOR WORD
  • Hebrews 3:8 A warning not to harden our hearts to God's Word
  • Hebrews 3:9-10 Those in the wilderness tempted God 40 years and did not obey him or his ways
  • Hebrews 3:11 God swore they would not enter into "His Rest" (Genesis 2:1-3; see Ezekiel 20:10-13)
  • Hebrews 3:12 Another warning not to harden our hearts in unbelief departing from God
  • Hebrews 3:13 Encourage one and other lest we harden our hearts in sin (breaking Gods' law 1 John 3:4)
  • Hebrews 3:14 We are only partakers of Christ "IF" we hold the the faith steadfast to the end
  • Hebrews 3:15-17 More warnings not to harden our hearts as those who sinned died in the wilderness
  • Hebrews 3:18-19 God did not let them enter into "His rest" because they were in unbelief
Note: Hebrews 3 and it's link to Ezekiel 20:10-13 how God's people were breaking "His Sabbath" and God poured out his judgements on them...

EZEKIEL 20:10-13 [10], Why I caused them to go forth out of the land of Egypt and BROUGHT THEM INTO THE WILDERNESS. [11], and I GAVE THEM MY STATUTES, AND SHOWED THEM MY JUDGMENTS, WHICH IF A MAN DO, HE SHALL LIVE IN THEM. [12], MOREOVER ALSO I GAVE THEM MY SABBATHS, TO BE A SIGN BETWEEN ME AND THEM THAT THEY MAY KNOW THAT I AM THE LORD THAT SANCTIFY THEM. [13], BUT THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL REBELLED AGAINST ME IN THE WILDERNESS: THEY WALKED NOT IN MY STATUTES AND DESPISED MY JUDGMENTS WHICH IF A MAN DO THEY SHALL LIVE IN THEM AND MY SABBATHS THEY GREATLY POLLUTED: THEN I SAID I WOULD POUR OUT MY FURY ON THEM IN THE WILDERNESS, TO CONSUME THEM.

Note
: Hebrews 3 and it's links to Psalms 95:2-11 and Ezekiel 20:10-13 which is also over worshiping God as the God of creation and the Sabbath commandment and not entering God's rest (the seventh day created from the foundation of the world)...

PSALMS 95:2-11
[2], Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise to him with psalms.
[3], For THE LORD IS A GREAT GOD, AND A GREAT KING ABOVE ALL GODS.
[4], In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also.
[5], THE SEA IS HIS, AND HE MADE IT: AND HIS HANDS FORMED THE DRY LAND.
[6], O come, let us worship and bow down: let us KNEEL BEFORE THE LORD OUR MAKER.
[7], FOR HE IS OUR GOD; AND WE ARE THE PEOPLE OF HIS PASTURE, AND THE SHEEP OF HIS HAND. TODAY IF YOU WILL HEAR HIS VOICE,
[8], HARDEN NOT YOUR HEART, AS IN THE PROVOCATION, AND AS IN THE DAY OF TEMPTATION IN THE WILDERNESS:
[9], WHEN YOUR FATHERS TEMPTED ME, PROVED ME, AND SAW MY WORK.
[10], FORTY YEARS LONG WAS I GRIEVED WITH THIS GENERATION, AND SAID, IT IS A PEOPLE THAT DO ERR IN THEIR HEART, AND THEY HAVE NOT KNOWN MY WAYS:
[11], TO WHOM I SWORE IN MY WRATH THAT THEY SHOULD NOT ENTER INTO MY REST.

Note the link back to what Hebrews 3 is quoting....
  • Psalms 95:2-7 is worshiping the only true creator God of heaven and earth. Today if you hear His voice…. (“This is the another day” in Hebrews 4:7-8 spoken of by David ….. for if Joshua had given them rest – (promised land) David would not have spoken of “another day” saying “Today if you hear His voice harden not your hearts as in the provocation in the wilderness. Gods’ people were still hardening their hearts in sin and unbelief)

SUMMARY: Hebrews 3 is has links to Ezekiel 20:10-12 and is directly quoting from Psalms 95 which is about worshiping the only true God and creator of heaven and earth. God's people did not know God's ways and broke His Sabbaths and God did not give them His rest. They could not enter into God's rest because of unbelief and sin and God poured out His judgements on them because they broke his Sabbaths and they died in the wilderness because of their unbelief and sins.

Let's define what Gods' rest/My rest/His rest is from the scriptures in the next post
Great information...

But you really didn't address the eternal rest that I now enjoy... why?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The protestant bible includes the same old testament books as the Hebrew bible and is different to the Catholic bible.
There is no Bible of any sort that numbers the 10 commandments. Not the Proetestant Bible, not the Catholic Bible, not the Hebrew Bible.... All of them have the same seventeen verses, which do not number the 10.

IndigoChild5559

You do realize, just to finish the subject, that the "days of creation" were clearly in most rational persons' minds not 24 hours each? Right? And very importantly, whether you want to admit it or not, the seventh day of creation has no end attached to it (yet)? Two questions. The second is important so I'd like to hear your response to that one more than well, it's a song type thing. Thanks.
You are missing my point. I don't think the seven days refer to ANY kind of time period. They are simply literary devices to create verses. I'm not expecting you to agree with me, just to understand what I'm saying.

IndigoChild5559

Again so what? I am sure you know that I was referring to Gods Sabbath commandment as counted in both the Hebrew and Protestant bible from Exodus 20:8-11 which is the topic of this OP right?
There is nothing in Exodus 20:8-11 that says "Commandment number 4"

The topic of the thread may be something else, but every time I notice you referring to it as the fourth commandment, I'm going to remind you that this is simply your traditioh, not something that is in the text.

IndigoChild5559

Not to be combative, but is there anything in what you consider to be the 'JEWISH' part of the Bible that says the seventh day of creation has an end to it?
Again, while the entire Tanakh is a Jewish work, the days in Genesis 1 are not periods of time. They are literary devices to create verses.

3rdAngel

Great information...But you really didn't address the eternal rest that I now enjoy... why?
Well that is not true ... As shown in the posts you ignored Kenny, Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is a warning that says no one enters into Gods seventh day Sabbath rest or eternal rest (that is they are not saved) if they do not believe and obey what Gods Word says.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

There is nothing in Exodus 20:8-11 that says "Commandment number 4" The topic of the thread may be something else, but every time I notice you referring to it as the fourth commandment, I'm going to remind you that this is simply your traditioh, not something that is in the text.
Again so what? No one said there was. I am sure you know that I was referring to Gods Sabbath commandment as counted in both the Hebrew and Protestant bible from Exodus 20:8-11 which is the topic of this OP right? I will just ignore your post as it is simply a distraction to the OP and something I am not arguing about so what your posting is simply a waste of space here. Thanks for sharing your comments though.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Again, while the entire Tanakh is a Jewish work, the days in Genesis 1 are not periods of time. They are literary devices to create verses.
Sorry, but I don't believe what you believe. Each 'day' of creation in Genesis is a set period of time, and NOT 24 hours each anyway. The 7th day of creation is not said to have an end. Have a nice 'day,' and another nice 'day' tomorrow. Take care.

YoursTrue

Well that is not true ... As shown in the posts you ignored Kenny, Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is a warning that says no one enters into Gods seventh day Sabbath rest or eternal rest (that is they are not saved) if they do not believe and obey what Gods Word says.
Let's go over that again, 3rdangel, for a minute. As you know, I try to keep things brief, so let's try. Does God take a day off every week? I'm not sure if you answered that before, so forgive me if I'm asking the same question. Have a nice 'day,' by the way, and have another nice 24-hour DAY tomorrow.
Keeping it brief, yes or no? Does God take a day off once a week?

YoursTrue

haha, i love it! "To create verses..." lol, yikes. OK, have another nice day, verse singing or not. Bye again...