• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The LORD God in Genesis

peacecrusader888

Are God, LORD, and LORD God in Genesis different? In Genesis, God is used in Genesis 1-9, 14, 16-17, 19-22, 24-28, 30-33, 35, 39-46, 48-50. LORD is used in Genesis 4, 6-8, 10-19, 21-22, 24-32, 38-39, and 49. LORD God or Lord GOD is used in Genesis 2-3, 9, 15, 24, and 28.

peacecrusader888

Others in Genesis wherein God and LORD are used:
Abram said, "LORD, the most high God" (Genesis 14:22)
"angel of God" (Genesis 31:11)
"angel of the LORD" (Genesis 22:11)
"LORD thy God" (Genesis 27:20)
"On the name of the LORD, the everlasting God" (Genesis 21:33)
"And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth ..." (Genesis 24:3)
"And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the LORD, and blessed the LORD God of my master Abraham ..." (Genesis 24:48)
"And behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac ..." (Genesis 28:13)
"the LORD be my God." (Genesis 28:21)

Note that LORD is spelled with capital letters, not lord or Lord which refers not to God. I believe that God, LORD, and LORD God are one and the same.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Depends on the version. Of the 44 Bibles checked the following are used in Genesis 14:22

Lord, 7 times
God, 3
LORD . . . God, 1
Lord . . . God, 26
Adonai, 2
Yahweh, God, 2
Jehovah . . . God, 3 times
In a lot of of them "Lord" is used as a descriptor of the God. e.g.. “I raise my hand to the Lord, the Most High God."

Obviously, the form of notation isn't important. If it was there would only be one, or perhaps two variations.

As a side note, “I raise my hand to the Lord, the Most High God" indicates the existence of more than one god. Hmmmmm! ;)

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Others in Genesis wherein God and LORD are used:

And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lifted up my hand unto Jehovah, God Most High (ASV)

"And the angel of Jehovah " (ASV)

"Jehovah thy God" (ASV)

"the name of Jehovah, the Everlasting God." (ASV)

"And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth ..." (Genesis 24:3)
"and I will make thee swear by Jehovah, the God of heaven" (ASV)

"And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the LORD, and blessed the LORD God of my master Abraham ..." (Genesis 24:48)
"And I bowed my head, and worshipped Jehovah, and blessed Jehovah, the God of my master Abraham" (ASV)

"And behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac ..." (Genesis 28:13)
"And, behold, Jehovah stood above it, and said, I am Jehovah, the God of Abraham thy father (ASV)

"and Jehovah will be my God (ASV)

Note that LORD is spelled with capital letters, not lord or Lord which refers not to God. I believe that God, LORD, and LORD God are one and the same.

If God's name had been left in all the verses where it has been substituted, (almost 7,000 times) you would have no trouble identifying "The LORD" in the whole Bible.

The use of Capitals denotes where the tetragrammaton was visible in the original text. Every one of those references is to YHWH...Yahweh...Jehovah. The one name of God.

Ex 3:15 ASV:
"And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, Jehovah, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

rusra02

Premium Member
Are God, LORD, and LORD God in Genesis different? In Genesis, God is used in Genesis 1-9, 14, 16-17, 19-22, 24-28, 30-33, 35, 39-46, 48-50. LORD is used in Genesis 4, 6-8, 10-19, 21-22, 24-32, 38-39, and 49. LORD God or Lord GOD is used in Genesis 2-3, 9, 15, 24, and 28.

No. LORD is an unauthorized replacement for God's name, Jehovah (in English). God is a title, not a name.

Skwim

Veteran Member
No. LORD is an unauthorized replacement for God's name, Jehovah (in English). God is a title, not a name.
Lord (n.)
mid-13c., laverd, loverd, from Old English hlaford "master of a household, ruler, superior," also "God" (translating Latin Dominus, though Old English drihten was used more often), earlier hlafweard, literally "one who guards the loaves," from hlaf "bread, loaf" Modern monosyllabic form emerged 14c. As an interjection from late 14c. Lord's Prayer is from 1540s.

Jehovah
1530, Tyndale's transliteration of Hebrew Tetragrammaton YHWH using vowel points of Adhonai "my lord" (see Yahweh). Used for YHWH (the full name being too sacred for utterance) in four places in the Old Testament in the KJV where the usual translation the lord would have been inconvenient; taken as the principal and personal name of God.

The vowel substitution was originally made by the Masoretes as a direction to substitute Adhonai for "the ineffable name." European students of Hebrew took this literally, which yielded Latin JeHoVa (first attested in writings of Galatinus, confessor to Leo X, 1516).

Yahweh
1869, hypothetical reconstruction of the tetragrammaton YHWH (see Jehovah), based on the assumption that the tetragrammaton is the imperfective of Hebrew verb hawah, earlier form of hayah "was," in the sense of "the one who is, the existing."

Acim

Revelation all the time
I don't understand why the change in title, and why it is done in same chapter as is case in Gen. 2. Would lead to less controversy/different interpretations if the reason for changing title was explained. From one chapter to another, less of a reason to explain (assumes different authors, different eras of writing). In the same chapter, I find it challenging to not read more into it when this is (allegedly) the same character.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Please keep in mind the Bible writers did Not have a King James Version Bible, but the old Hebrew and Christian Greek Scriptures, Not in English.
KJV translated the Tetragrammaton (YHWH) as LORD.
Even the word 'Lord' such as found at Psalms 110 shows 'Lord' in some lower-case letters which stands for the Lord Jesus and Not God/LORD
LORD/Lord, God/god are titles and Not a personal name. So LORD God in KJV English was used in place of the Hebrew Tetragrammaton.

peacecrusader888

And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lifted up my hand unto Jehovah, God Most High (ASV)

"And the angel of Jehovah " (ASV)

"Jehovah thy God" (ASV)

"the name of Jehovah, the Everlasting God." (ASV)

"and I will make thee swear by Jehovah, the God of heaven" (ASV)

"And I bowed my head, and worshipped Jehovah, and blessed Jehovah, the God of my master Abraham" (ASV)

"And, behold, Jehovah stood above it, and said, I am Jehovah, the God of Abraham thy father (ASV)

"and Jehovah will be my God (ASV)

If God's name had been left in all the verses where it has been substituted, (almost 7,000 times) you would have no trouble identifying "The LORD" in the whole Bible.

The use of Capitals denotes where the tetragrammaton was visible in the original text. Every one of those references is to YHWH...Yahweh...Jehovah. The one name of God.

Ex 3:15 ASV:
"And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, Jehovah, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

What does ASV mean?

Jehovah is only "one name of God". Exodus 3:14 states: "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

The spirit of Ama said that we should use the King James Version of the Holy Bible because it is "nearer the truth" (than other versions). He also told us to read Pasiong Mahal or Pasyon or Awit at Salaysay ng Pasiong Mahal ni Hesukristong Panginoon Natin. He said that Pasiong Mahal was extracted from the Bible. But I find that it is more than that. It tells the parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the name of the two thieves, the names of the three kings, the fourth century AD visit of Saint Elena to Jerusalem, etc.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What does ASV mean?

American Standard Version. It is the one that is shown when scripture is highlighted on this site.

Jehovah is only "one name of God". Exodus 3:14 states: "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

The spirit of Ama said that we should use the King James Version of the Holy Bible because it is "nearer the truth" (than other versions). He also told us to read Pasiong Mahal or Pasyon or Awit at Salaysay ng Pasiong Mahal ni Hesukristong Panginoon Natin. He said that Pasiong Mahal was extracted from the Bible. But I find that it is more than that. It tells the parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the name of the two thieves, the names of the three kings, the fourth century AD visit of Saint Elena to Jerusalem, etc.

89.gif
You do understand that YHWH can equally mean "I will Be What I Will Be" not necessarily "I Am That I Am". That name is not a statement of God's existence, but a name that denotes his intention to do whatever his will dictates when dealing with free willed beings.

The spirit of Ama is telling you things that are not true. The KJV is one of the most biased translations in existence...it is "further from the truth" than most in many opinions.

In the Complete Jewish Bible, Exodus 3:14 says...."God said to Moshe, “Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh [I am/will be what I am/will be],” and added, “Here is what to say to the people of Isra’el: ‘Ehyeh [I Am or I Will Be] has sent me to you.’” 15 God said further to Moshe, “Say this to the people of Isra’el: ‘Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [Adonai], the God of your fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz’chak and the God of Ya‘akov, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever; this is how I am to be remembered generation after generation."

Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh means "I am/will be what I am/will be".

Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh is the tetragrammaton...YHWH and is the only name by which the true God is to be known "forever". (Exodus 3:15)