• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The loneliness of our subjective experiences

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Disclaimer: I'm drunk, and my thoughts aren't very coherent!

It's interesting to me how everything we experience in life is our own. We own it. It's the one true thing in life that is innately ours that no one else can ever have or take. We will take it to our grave, and no one else will truly know what we experienced or felt beyond what limited information we can relay to them.

It's lonely, though... Lonely to think that experiences we share, even with those closest to us, can only ever be understood in our minds by us, and no one else.

Even if I wrote down my experiences in the greatest detail I could into a book, you could only ever use your own experiences to judge what my experiences were. I could ever only produce echos of my thoughts for others to experience vicariously.

This is why the hunt for immortality is in vain. We aren't meant to endure. It's just not the way of things... And there lies the emphasis of our existence.

If we can never truly be known, and if we can never truly be understood, then the only people we can be accountable to is ourselves. Just us. No one else...

No one can know our hearts but us.

It's lonely... But it's liberating. It's liberating to know that our existence is just a flash in the pan, and that we aren't nearly as special as we think. We just exist in the moment, until that moment ends.

So, don't squander it. Recognize it, and take full advantage. :)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Disclaimer: I'm drunk, and my thoughts aren't very coherent!

It's interesting to me how everything we experience in life is our own. We own it. It's the one true thing in life that is innately ours that no one else can ever have or take. We will take it to our grave, and no one else will truly know what we experienced or felt beyond what limited information we can relay to them.

It's lonely, though... Lonely to think that experiences we share, even with those closest to us, can only ever be understood in our minds by us, and no one else.

Even if I wrote down my experiences in the greatest detail I could into a book, you could only ever use your own experiences to judge what my experiences were. I could ever only produce echos of my thoughts for others to experience vicariously.

This is why the hunt for immortality is in vain. We aren't meant to endure. It's just not the way of things... And there lies the emphasis of our existence.

If we can never truly be known, and if we can never truly be understood, then the only people we can be accountable to is ourselves. Just us. No one else...

No one can know our hearts but us.

It's lonely... But it's liberating. It's liberating to know that our existence is just a flash in the pan, and that we aren't nearly as special as we think. We just exist in the moment, until that moment ends.

So, don't squander it. Recognize it, and take full advantage. :)

Drunk on a Tuesday huh? What's the occasion? ;)

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Drunk on a Tuesday huh? What's the occasion? ;)

Tuesday = my sunday. :D

Occasion? Hmmm... Not sure.

Could have something to do with the fact that this is my last weekend before things get REAL crazy for me. New work environment, new job, new hours (from 8s to 12s, from graveyard to morning), new everything! My training is done at least, though. I'm ready. Now it's just time to embrace the coming storm! Until then... Time to just ejoy the calm. :)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Tuesday = my sunday. :D

Occasion? Hmmm... Not sure.

Could have something to do with the fact that this is my last weekend before things get REAL crazy for me. New work environment, new job, new hours (from 8s to 12s, from graveyard to morning), new everything! My training is done at least, though. I'm ready. Now it's just time to embrace the coming storm! Until then... Time to just ejoy the calm. :)

Good luck in your new job! :)