• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Like" Culture

dust1n

Zindīq
Hey, that gives me an idea!
What if instead of a <dislike> subtracting from one's <like> total,
there were a separate accounting for likes & dislikes?
Then we could not only compete to see who's the most likable,
but also strive to be the most dislikable!

I'd motion to add a "meh" feature, where I could express my total apathy towards a particular comment without actually needing to state it.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'd motion to add a "meh" feature, where I could express my total apathy towards a particular comment without actually needing to state it.

That's a good one too.

Maybe we could have a dozen or so response buttons which capture a range of feelings about posts without having to type anything. My goal would be to top the "disgust" list.

dust1n

Zindīq
That's a good one too.

Maybe we could have a dozen or so response buttons which capture a range of feelings about posts without having to type anything. My goal would be to top the "disgust" list.

Good point. A "good point" feature would be nice, because while I don't necessarily like your response here at all, I do find that you have made a great point. However, I'm left with just liking your post with no additional technicality, a far-removed act devoid of the nuances of my emotional being.

dust1n

Zindīq
Acceptable, but lack of attention accomplishes that too.

That's true. It's more for members who are sitting at the edge of their seat waiting for my response. I'd like to let them know it's not coming without doing more than a single mouse click.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's true. It's more for members who are sitting at the edge of their seat waiting for my response. I'd like to let them know it's not coming without doing more than a single mouse click.
Yes....makes sense.
Now other options call to me.....
- TLTR
- Not even wrong
- WTF!?

dust1n

Zindīq
And it would become senior arthritis were you to stay much past 20K posts!

I'm just flying through these last ones. But I could not help but enter this thread. What can I say, I'm a "like" socialite. I need to know what's what in the frubal world.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good point. A "good point" feature would be nice, because while I don't necessarily like your response here at all, I do find that you have made a great point. However, I'm left with just liking your post with no additional technicality, a far-removed act devoid of the nuances of my emotional being.
Like what if the poster thinks I AGREE with him/her.

dust1n

Zindīq
Like what if the poster thinks I AGREE with him/her.

Right. Also, what if someone's parents dies. I can't "like" it because it seems like I like death or something, but I don't want to know show my support. I think a "sorry for your loss" button is in order.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Right. Also, what if someone's parents dies. I can't "like" it because it seems like I like death or something, but I don't want to know show my support. I think a "sorry for your loss" button is in order.
I understand this! I have thought the same thing.

dust1n

Zindīq
I understand this! I have thought the same thing.

Always embarrassing when someone is like, "I'm totally over this relationship, it's done" when they just broke up with someone and you like it to be supportive as a friend, but then they end up back together, and now it seems like you were you were rooting for the break-up the whole time.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Always embarrassing when someone is like, "I'm totally over this relationship, it's done" when they just broke up with someone and you like it to be supportive as a friend, but then they end up back together, and now it seems like you were you were rooting for the break-up the whole time.

People do that with religious affiliation as well.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a good one too.

Just go with the five characters from inside out.

Joy
Fear
Anger
Disgust
Sadness