• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The legacy of Teilhard de Chardin

pearl

I've always found his theology to be most interesting, as he blends science with spirituality.

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J., died 50 years ago in New York City. At the time, he was widely recognized in U.S. scientific circles for his work on the geology of Asia and his studies of Peking Man. Otherwise, he was virtually unknown. He had written abundantly in philosophy and theology, but church officials had prevented publication, although some of his essays were widely circulated during his lifetime in manuscript form. After his death, friends in Paris did what he had not been permitted to do; they published 13 volumes of his religious writings. By the time the Second Vatican Council began, less than a decade later in 1962, Teilhard had come to be regarded as a saint for the times. But his sanctity was unusual; it showed itself chiefly in a dedication to the world and secular work.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've always found his theology to be most interesting, as he blends science with spirituality.

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J., died 50 years ago in New York City. At the time, he was widely recognized in U.S. scientific circles for his work on the geology of Asia and his studies of Peking Man. Otherwise, he was virtually unknown. He had written abundantly in philosophy and theology, but church officials had prevented publication, although some of his essays were widely circulated during his lifetime in manuscript form. After his death, friends in Paris did what he had not been permitted to do; they published 13 volumes of his religious writings. By the time the Second Vatican Council began, less than a decade later in 1962, Teilhard had come to be regarded as a saint for the times. But his sanctity was unusual; it showed itself chiefly in a dedication to the world and secular work.

I remember being given a passage from The Phenomenon of Man as a comprehension exercise in an exam when I was at school. It made quite an impression on me. I had not realised his influence on the tone of Catholic theology or that Benedict XVI - such a crusty traditionalist in many ways - thought so well of some of his ideas.

From this article it suggests the church had a rather Manichaean view of the physical world, and a suspicion of science, which he did much to change.

pearl

I had not realised his influence on the tone of Catholic theology or that Benedict XVI - such a crusty traditionalist in many ways - thought so well of some of his ideas.

Years ago I took a course at Boston College on the Eucharist entitled 'The Many-Faceted Jewel' through which I first became familiar with
Teilhard de Chardin and his 'Mass on the World' from Hymn of the Universe.
"Since once again, Lord through this time not in the forest of the Aisne, but in the steppes of Asia-I have neither bread nor wine nor altar,
I will raise myself beyond these symbols, up to the pure majesty of the real itself; I your priest will make the whole earth my altar and on it
will offer you all the labors and sufferings of the world...My paten and my chalice are the depths of a soul laid widely open to all the forces which in a moment will rise up from every corner of the earth converge upon the Spirit.

The theology of Benedict XVI is complex to say the least.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Years ago I took a course at Boston College on the Eucharist entitled 'The Many-Faceted Jewel' through which I first became familiar with
Teilhard de Chardin and his 'Mass on the World' from Hymn of the Universe.
"Since once again, Lord through this time not in the forest of the Aisne, but in the steppes of Asia-I have neither bread nor wine nor altar,
I will raise myself beyond these symbols, up to the pure majesty of the real itself; I your priest will make the whole earth my altar and on it
will offer you all the labors and sufferings of the world...My paten and my chalice are the depths of a soul laid widely open to all the forces which in a moment will rise up from every corner of the earth converge upon the Spirit.

The theology of Benedict XVI is complex to say the least.
Well he was a thinker and evidently respected that quality in others.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I took a seminar on him at the diocese level here about 40 years ago, and I found him to be very interesting even if I do question some of his beliefs. However, he might well question mine as well. ;)

pearl

I took a seminar on him at the diocese level here about 40 years ago, and I found him to be very interesting even if I do question some of his beliefs. However, he might well question mine as well. ;)

I found the depth of his spirituality to be most intriguing, especially as a philosopher and paleontologist and priest.
"Over every living thing which is to spring up, to grow, to flower, to ripen during this day, say again the words This is my Body.
And over every death-force which waits in readiness to corrode, to wither, to cut down, speak again your commanding words, which express the supreme mystery of faith; This is my Blood."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I found the depth of his spirituality to be most intriguing, especially as a philosopher and paleontologist and priest.
"Over every living thing which is to spring up, to grow, to flower, to ripen during this day, say again the words This is my Body.
And over every death-force which waits in readiness to corrode, to wither, to cut down, speak again your commanding words, which express the supreme mystery of faith; This is my Blood."
Ya, but the Vatican wasn't too crazy about him, especially his "noosphere" idea.

BTW, when alive, he was the world's foremost expert on Homo erectus.