• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's expected to get up to 112° today. But that's not so bad, considering that Lake Havasu (where the old London Bridge is) will hit 119, Parker will get up to 120, and Death Valley is expected to be 122°F.

Santa Monica (my old stomping grounds) will only get up to 70° today. I tell you, it's just not fair.

Hope the AC is in fine fettle?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yesterday the temperature hit a high if 72 and my housemate was complaining about the heat. I grew up in a state that had a 120 temperature range over the year. Hear there is often only a 70 year temperature range. It does not get what I would call hot nor what I would ever call cold.

Yeah, places like Santa Monica and San Diego are practically idyllic, in terms of never getting too hot or too cold. They don't even need air conditioning. But just a few miles inland, and you'll be baking.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hope the AC is in fine fettle?

At home, the AC is working fine, so I'll be good through the weekend. At work, one of the AC units went out (I'm hoping that it's just a problem with the thermostat and not the compressor itself), but I'm not sure if someone will be out to fix it today or not. The people who fix air conditioners are in high demand these days - and it's rough work - much of the time is spent on hot roofs.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Petit-déjeuner du Grand Chelem

It typically doesn't exist, you may be able to find a place that does serve a full "English" breakfast to please English clientele but the bacon will probably be lardons (chunky bacon bits)

View attachment 51613

A french full breakfast is more balanced and probably healthier because it contains white cheese and seasonal fruit.

View attachment 51615
If I ate either one every morning, I'd weigh hundreds of pounds (or kilograms) more than I do.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If I ate either one every morning, I'd weigh hundreds of pounds (or kilograms) more than I do.

I admit to a good breakfast once per week. On that day i don't eat lunch, not to combat weight, just that i am not hungry.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah, places like Santa Monica and San Diego are practically idyllic, in terms of never getting too hot or too cold. They don't even need air conditioning. But just a few miles inland, and you'll be baking.
I live in the Pacific Northwest. We do have a little weather here. It will get down to the high twenties and occasionally hit the low nineties. Natives tend to get "hot" when it hits the low seventies and the sun is out. I grew up in Minnesota, that hottest I ever saw was 107 F, but that is a rather humid heat, and the coldest was -29. My eyelashes were freezing together every time that I blinked on that day. Combining those two in one year would have been a 136 degree temperature range.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I admit to a good breakfast once per week. On that day i don't eat lunch, not to combat weight, just that i am not hungry.
As a glutton, hunger does not enter into it for me. See it - eat it and stop when it's gone is the way I work.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I live in the Pacific Northwest. We do have a little weather here. It will get down to the high twenties and occasionally hit the low nineties. Natives tend to get "hot" when it hits the low seventies and the sun is out. I grew up in Minnesota, that hottest I ever saw was 107 F, but that is a rather humid heat, and the coldest was -29. My eyelashes were freezing together every time that I blinked on that day. Combining those two in one year would have been a 136 degree temperature range.
When I was in school in the far north of New York State, we had a lot of deep winter car gear: oil dipstick heaters, blanket to put over the car's engine, removing the battery and taking it inside to hook up to the trickle chargers.

For the humans, staying away from outer walls, having politically incorrect (but old) fur coats and so forth.

Being in the deep south during summer, psyching myself up before going outside with the thought I was going into a sauna (voluntarily) to get ready for what I was going to face.

ChristineM

Premium Member
As a glutton, hunger does not enter into it for me. See it - eat it and stop when it's gone is the way I work.

Ahh the old "see food" diet, I've heard of it.

I've never been plagued with weight problems although I've put on a couple of pounds since moving to France to live the idle life i really need to put on another 3 or 4 pounds.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

We get a few winter cold snaps down here, too. The coldest it's gotten was around 17°F. Normally, our winters are pretty mild.

I'm not a complete stranger to cold and snow, though. For 12 of my first 15 years, we lived in upstate New York.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I've never been plagued with weight problems although I've put on a couple of pounds since moving to France to live the idle life i really need to put on another 3 or 4 pounds.
Though I think of myself as fat, a friend of my housemate saw me today and he was shocked at how good I look. Boosted the ego a bit. Though I have been walking a lot lately. If fact I just reorderd a pair of shoes. The old ones are about worn through from all the walking.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The year after we bought this house we still lived in England and travelled here 3 or 4 times a year.

We arrived in march, filled the water system and central heating and boom. A cast iron radiator fell to pieces. It seems when we drained the system before we left there was still a little water in the bottom of the radiator. The unusual extremely cold snap of -18c (0f) had expanded the water and shattered the cast iron.

We also learned that a guy up the road had his toilet explode for the same reason. And the coolant in the pipes of the local supermarkets freezer system froze and burst the pipes.

But that's not usual.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I'll put 10 pounds in a box and mail it to you to use when needed. I'm generous that way.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Deja vu is reverse precognition.

Maybe there's a glitch in the Matrix.

Shx72E.gif

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
The year after we bought this house we still lived in England and travelled here 3 or 4 times a year.

We arrived in march, filled the water system and central heating and boom. A cast iron radiator fell to pieces. It seems when we drained the system before we left there was still a little water in the bottom of the radiator. The unusual extremely cold snap of -18c (0f) had expanded the water and shattered the cast iron.

We also learned that a guy up the road had his toilet explode for the same reason. And the coolant in the pipes of the local supermarkets freezer system froze and burst the pipes.

But that's not usual.

We have an entire month, every year that ranges between -26C and -28C...never had anything explode because of freezing.... but then we know its going to happen....did have one year when we had that and about 2 feet of snow fall per week where an ice dam built up on my roof and caused water to leak in my living room. Was a fun day of digging a path to the back of my house getting on a ladder ai chopping an 8 inch thick 10 inch wide ice dam of my roof