• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
kindness-poem.jpg

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Best Poems about Kindness

Henry David Thoreau, ‘Friendship’. In this poem, Thoreau implies that, just as the truth of love cannot be spoken, so the real strength of true friendship is out of sight, unseen, like those roots underground. Friendship is not about being seen to be someone’s friend, or at least not always: sometimes it is about those ‘little unremembered acts of kindness and of love’, as Wordsworth put it.

10 of the Best Poems about Kindness - Interesting Literature

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How about 27 more ...

Be happy, be happy, I bid the sad mind,
But learn what true happiness is:
When a dutiful man has a heart good and kind,
True happiness surely is his.

Richard Lynott O'Malley

Poems About Kindness

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Mindfulness kindness for kids - several - adding the kids was a bit of an afterthought - but a good one ... eg -

Why it’s good to practice empathy

It’s easy to think that empathy somehow magically rubs off on our kids.

I believe empathy is inherent and it might rub off …

… but, simply telling our kids to be kind will not necessarily make them caring and compassionate.

Patty O’Grady, PhD, an expert in neuroscience, education and emotional learning, says:

“Kindness changes the brain by the experience of kindness. Children and adolescents do not learn kindness by only thinking about it and talking about it. Kindness is best learned by feeling it so that they can reproduce it.”

And that’s the idea of loving kindness practice!

It helps you get in touch with the feeling of kindness over and over again.

What many parents don’t realize is that empathy is a skill.

Read the rest at this excellent-looking site -

Empathy and Loving Kindness Practice - Mindfulness for Kids and Teens

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Teach children attitude kindness

Again several ... am I on a roll or what? :)

First to catch my attention -

Dr. Barbara Fredrickson found that just six weeks of training in a form of meditation focused on kindness and compassion resulted in increased positive emotions, social connectedness, and even improved health for participants in her study.

In a similar study, Dr. Richard Davidson found that as little as two weeks’ training in compassion and kindness meditation led to changes in brain circuitry linked to an increase in positive social behaviors, such as generosity.

Even three months after these experiments concluded, participants continued to display increased mindfulness, purpose in life, social support and decreased illness symptoms.

Loving-kindness meditation involves thinking of loved ones and sending them positive thoughts. Later, your child can expand her positive thoughts to more neutral people in her life as well. Dr. Fredrickson describes this form of meditation as “directing good-hearted wishes to others.”

The four traditional phrases are, “May you feel safe. May you feel happy. May you feel healthy. May you live with ease.” But the actual wording you and your child use aren’t important; it’s about generating feelings of kindness and warmth.

Read more here -

7 Activities to Help Your Child Develop a Positive Attitude

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Much more at that site - for example -

“Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.” Of all the explanations of kindness, Maya Angelou’s might be the best. Kindness is the choice we make when we smile at others, invite the new student to play, or even greet someone by name.

To practice kindness, consider these simple ideas:

• Watch “Color Your World with Kindness” and discuss how each small act of thoughtfulness has a ripple effect
  • Read “Be Kind” by Pat Zietlow Miller for simple examples of kind acts, and reflect on the quote: ”Maybe I can only do small things. But my small things might join small things other people do. And together, they could grow into something big.”
  • Create and decorate “Kindness Cards” or “Kindness Rocks” to hide in fun places
  • Choose 2-3 ideas from 56 Random Acts of Kindness or from Kindness Bingo to try (donating outgrown clothes, sharing food with a local pantry, and leaving change in a vending machine are meaningful ideas)
More ideas -

7 Simple Ideas For Children To Make A Difference

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How do you teach something as important as kindness to children? This likely sounds like a very daunting task. The good news is that kindness is a natural human response that likely won’t need much prodding or encouragement. However, it is something that should be practiced regularly to ensure that it will stick with kids throughout childhood and into adulthood.

Kindness can be taught at home or in the classroom, and preferably, it’s taught in both contexts.

More kindness activities -

40 Kindness Activities & Empathy Worksheets for Students and Adults

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greater good kindness - not just first few???

Here's one -

I question whether or not we can be truly, lastingly happy—whether we can really lead meaningful, joyful lives—if we are not also kind, generous, compassionate.

I tend to believe His Holiness the Dalai Lama: “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.”

For those of you who don’t buy the Buddhist reasoning, there is also a lot of scientific evidence that happiness and kindness are deeply intertwined (see this post, “What You Get When You Give.”)

This week is World Kindness Week, and for my Walking the Talk challenge this week I am going to focus on fostering kindness in my kids (and myself).

Read the full article -

Want Happiness? Practice Kindness

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How to Be a Kindness Role Model for Your Kids

Today, World Kindness Day, is an opportunity for people across the world to focus on good deeds in their communities, reminding us that kindness is a positive force that connects us all. But how can we make sure that our kids get that message, too? After all, for kindness to become the norm in society, our children will need to learn how to be kind to carry the torch forward for future generations.

How to Be a Kindness Role Model for Your Kids

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness mental health

Kindness is a behavioral response of compassion and actions that are selfless; or a mindset that places compassion for others before one’s own interests. In performing the selfless act, a person may undercut his or her own selfish interests. Kindness is a value that is often undermined and forgotten because we live in a society where we are rushed, stressed, and spread too thin. Saying hello to our neighbor, offering to bag our own groceries at the store, allowing passengers into our lane on the freeway, volunteering, practicing forgiveness, and offering to help a friend without any underlying motive are all simple acts of kindness that seem to be forgotten within our society. Kindness has been linked directly to internal happiness, yet we spend years striving for happiness and ignoring kindness to then wonder what we're doing wrong.

World Kindness Day: Improving Mental Health Through Kindness

More at that blog ...

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness emotional intelligence

If Emotional Intelligence is a main ingredient in academic and social success, will it become part of the future curriculum in schools? According to the New York Times article “Can Emotional Intelligence be Taught?“, the Edutopia Foundation has been active in bringing EQ into the school curriculum for the past decade. The first to adopt social and emotional learning was the State of Illinois in 2003. Other schools have since adopted “evidence based programs.”

If you are interested in your EQ, take the quiz below at Edutopia.org http://www.edutopia.org/louisville-social-emotional-learning-quiz

https://thinkkindness.org/eq-kindness/

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Edutopia kindness - jackpot! - yet to fully explore - you know what I am like!!!

Can Kindness Be Taught?

Most kids value success and achievement more than caring for others, according to Harvard's Making Caring Common project. Who is to blame? We are. We talk to Scarlett Lewis of the Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement; Jennifer Kotler Clarke, vice president of content research and evaluation at Sesame Workshop; and Thomas Lickona, author of How To Raise Kind Kids, for some ideas on how to do better, and why.

Kindness Can Be Taught. Here's How

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The very well mind site is also worthy of a visit IMHO -

Research Suggests the Brain Can Be Trained in Compassion

Also this article -

We all want to be our best, but many people wonder if it's actually possible to become a better person once you're an adult. The answer is a resounding yes. There are always ways to improve yourself. This answer leads to more questions, however.

What is the best way to become a better person? What is the easiest approach? And what are the most important aspects of self to work on? Taking into account your own wellbeing as well as the best interests of others, here are some of the most important ways to become a better person.

How to Become a Better Person