• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A-person-becomes-more-attractive-600x600.png

Fun & Inspiring Archives - Tiny Buddha

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
You can’t be everyone’s hero. You can’t take away everyone’s pain, solve all their problems, and make them feel happy with themselves and their lives. All you can do is love them, and that’s all you have to do. Just love them in their messiness, their confusion, their grief. See them, hear them, and accept them without judgment. Then let them know it’s okay to be right where they are, and if and when they need you, you’ll be there.

~ Lori Deschene

Kindness Archives - Tiny Buddha

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Interesting site -

In today's busy world, it is all too easy to feel that people have lost their connection with one another. Sometimes the onslaught of bad news can lead people to feel that there is little they can do to change what is happening in the world. Research suggests, however, that compassion is a skill that can be learned and strengthened. Perhaps by learning how to increase our compassion, people can build deeper, more meaningful connections with others that will inspire good works, helpful actions, and simple human kindness.

The full article is here -

Can People Learn to Be More Compassionate?

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness, like happiness, is contagious. There's even a name for it: "moral elevation." A study conducted by researchers at the University of California-Los Angeles, and the universities of Cambridge and Plymouth in the United Kingdom found that witnessing acts of kindness makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside.

"When you feel this sense of moral 'elevation,' not only do you say you want to be a better person and help others," said Simone Schnall, of Cambridge, the lead researcher. "But you actually do, when the opportunity presents itself."

Full article here -

25 Habits of Successful and Extremely Happy People

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Number 28 in this list is about being kind & compassionate -

Be Compassionate / Kind. Always look out for opportunities where you can help others. Don’t get caught up in your own space — instead, look outwards and see if there’s anything you can do for others. Even the simplest things, like helping someone carry his/her belongings, is very much appreciated by others.

101 Ways To Be a Better Person | Personal Excellence

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
  • Grateful people are happier: Practicing gratitude changes our perspective, so we are more likely to notice and focus on the positive things in our lives.

• Kind people are happier: We actually get more happiness out of spending a small amount of money on others rather than on ourselves.

• Mindful people are happier: We are happier when we are paying attention to the present rather than distracted by thoughts about the past or future, even if they are

• Forgiving people are happier: Learning to let go of past grudges and move on with our lives releases us from lingering negative emotions.

• Self-compassionate people are happier: We find more peace when we can drop the critical voice in our heads and show ourselves love and understanding.
Full article here -

Why Our Ideas About Happiness Are Backwards

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From an email -

Small acts of kindness are sometimes powerful enough to make major headlines. In fact, you've probably read about or watched a few of these stories unfold in the past month. Here's how it usually plays out: One person will do a good deed—such as placing a cup of coffee on reserve for a homeless person, or paying off a stranger's layaway balance at Kmart—then a trend will start, with more and more people getting in on the act. The result is a feel-good story for all. The benefactors are happy to have done a good deed and the recipients are pleased to have been given a small but meaningful helping hand.

https://www.happify.com/public/science-of-happiness/

Scroll down maybe two-fifths of the page ...

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Another top site -

How often do you say 'thank you' to someone during the day?

Probably a few times. But how often do you truly pause to express your gratitude to the person you're thanking in an intentional way?

If I'm honest about my answer, then I would admit that many times my 'thank you' rolls off my tongue as my mind is already off to its next destination. I say 'thank you' to be polite but I'm not truly present in the moment to feel genuine appreciation for the other person -- whether it's the woman at our local shop handing me my coffee or my husband helping put my new desk chair together.

Full suggestions here -

The secret to a better "Thank You" - Happier

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness says: “I feel others as myself, and take pleasure in doing good for them, in giving and serving. I wish everyone well. The well-being of others is my well-being.”

Kindness and related virtues (love, compassion, consideration) is the core “social virtue”. It invites us to expand our sense of well-being to include others as well. It gives us the ability to put ourselves in another person’s shoes, and feel what they feel as if it is happening to us, and if appropriate do something about it. The result is the experience of the “helper’s high”, a mix of dopamine and oxytocin.

At it’s most basic level, this virtue tell us to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. At the deepest level, it says “We are all one”.

Read more at this link -

Inner Strength For Life - The 12 Master Virtues | Live and Dare

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Giving to others promotes your own happiness, especially when connected to a cause you care about. Helping others, spending your money on others and serving, releases “happiness chemicals” such as dopamine and oxytocin (called by many the “compassion hormone”). Of course, this presupposes that you are giving or serving out of a caring heart, and not due to obligation or social pressure, and that you are doing it in a way that is balanced with your own personal needs.

In the words of Professor Martin Seligman, “father” of Positive Psychology:

"Scientists have found that doing a kindness produces the single most reliable momentary increase in well-being of any exercise we have tested."

Found the list here -

15 Essential Habits for a Happy Life | Live and Dare

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
This site lists some core virtues ... and here are 3 -

Generosity
is giving with an open hand and an open heart.

Charity is caring, and working to be kind. Charity is giving of heart and soul and mind.

Service is helping others with a cheerful heart.

Read the full list -

Core Virtues Definitions

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's an interesting search:

Love letters to strangers

For example -

Unable to figure out how to exit my own sadness, I began leaving letters around New York City for unsuspecting visitors and commuters to find. I'd grown up with a mother who consistently left me love letters to find tucked in boxes and bags. It made sense to me to write these same letters to strangers. I'd write on the front of the letters, "If you find this letter, it's for you."

These letters scattered around New York City prompted me to write a blog post and offer a simple promise to the Internet: if you need a love letter, just ask.

THE WORLD NEEDS MORE LOVE LETTERS.

You ann also find her over on YouTube -

hannah brencher - YouTube

All the best!