• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From that site -

Kindness & Generosity

I recently realized that I’ve lived most of my life without knowing the definition of kindness. For a long time, when I thought about what kindness looked like, I pictured the classic example of helping someone carry groceries to their car. I figured kindness had something to do with being friendly, perhaps with a pinch of generosity thrown in.

But what would be left if I peeled kindness away from action?

The Dalai Lama famously said, “My religion is simple. My religion is kindness.” If kindness is so radical that it can define someone’s entire spirituality, then it has to be more than a good deed.

What Does It Mean to Be Kind?

Cheers!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't think this has been posted. Amazon released a holiday ad with kindness as the theme. Whether one likes or does not like Amazon, the ad is a good one

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
All the hardest, coldest people you meet were once as soft as a baby. And that’s the tragedy of living. So when people are rude, be kind, be mindful, be your best. Give those around you the “break” that you hope the world will give you on your own “bad day” and you will never, ever regret it.

Comes from this rather large site! - menus at right point of many hundreds of articles in many different categories -

10 Things to Remember Before You Take Things Personally

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Try - meditation cultivate kindness - for example -

One of the simplest and most effective ways of connecting with our innate kindness is something I’ve borrowed from Jan Chozen Bays’ lovely book, “How to Train a Wild Elephant.” It’s an exercise she calls “loving eyes.”

She wrote:

We know how to use loving eyes when we are falling in love, when we see a new baby or a cute animal. Why do we not use loving eyes more often?

So at the beginning of your meditation, you can recall, or even just imagine, the experience of looking with loving eyes. You can recall, or imagine, looking at a beloved child, or a lover, or even a pet. Notice how you feel around your eyes and around your heart.

The sense of care, and appreciation, and non-judgement evoked in this way is transferable, so once you’ve evoked a loving gaze you can turn that sense of looking lovingly upon your own being.

Click below for a LOT more about kindness & meditation -

Ways to Cultivate Kindness in Meditation - Wildmind

Plenty at that site - the menus at top of page!

Enjoy your browsing!

:)

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Develop habit of kindness - several again! -

Although most humans are naturally altruistic (that’s why we get upset when we see other people being upset), kindness is something that can be nurtured, too. And why wouldn’t you want to nurture kindness? After all, it makes yourself and others happier, and makes the world a better place.

Here is the rest of that article:

Top habits of Kind people

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness is not just a habit for priests and other do-gooders. It’s a habit for all of us. Medical science has proved that being kind alters our body chemistry and brings all sorts of benefits, including improving our mood, lowering our blood pressure and increasing our positive thinking.

Acts of kindness boost production of serotonin, a natural antidepressant in the brain, for the giver, the receiver and those who witness the kind acts. Kindness is such a beautiful thing. Reports actually show being kind not only improves your happiness, but also extends your life span.

15 Ways You Can Adopt To Make Kindness Your Habit.

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness in religion shows up in many ways and is the recognition of the fundamental importance of caring, loving, and cooperation for millennia. Buddhists might call this fundamental giving our Buddha nature. Christians might see this sense of giving as the image of God inherent in each of us. The importance the world’s major religions ascribe to our connections with others is captured by the following quotes about the Golden Rule also found in the Feedkindness theme song. Our formulation of the Golden Rule is that we give the same loving-kindness to others that we would like to receive ourselves.

Kindness In Religions: How Kindness Grew From World Religions

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Thousands of stories at this site -

Acts of Kindness | KindSpring.org

Our regular mail carriers know that if I am at home, I am happy to accept parcels for others in our house. This is a small task for me and means my neighbours do not have to go to the post office to collect them.

Yesterday I accepted a parcel for a new neighbour that I have not much contact with yet. We have exchanged greetings and pleasantries but was all so far.

When she came to my door to get her parcel she almost cried with appreciation and told me her days are so busy and crazy that it would have been very difficult for her to go to the post office.

It really was no big deal for me but obviously was important to her. I reassured her that it is no problem and would gladly do this again in the future. It was a reminder to me of another example of how small acts of kindness can make a difference to others. And yes, of course, the parcel was graced with a peace dove

A Simple Gesture And A Grateful Neighbour | KindSpring.org

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From the very well mind site!

Opportunities to perform random acts of kindness might have been more abundant in normal times. But during the pandemic, financial challenges and health precautions mean you might need to get creative to be of genuine service to someone else.

Here are a few free or low-cost ways to perform random acts of kindness during the pandemic:

Reach out to a loved one. “Check in with friends and family, just to let them know you’re thinking about them,” says Marcum, adding that you could also send a postcard to a friend you haven’t connected with in a while.

Give an exhausted parent a break. “Babysit for a parent who works from home, while their children are engaged in virtual learning. Being able to help the child, maybe making a snack, or even serving lunch can be tremendously helpful to a parent,” says Siddique.

How Random Acts of Kindness Can Boost Your Health During the Pandemic

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"Generosity takes many forms - we may give our time, our energy, our material possessions, our love. All are expressions of caring, of compassion, of connection, and of renunciation - the ability to let go. The beauty of generosity is that it not only brings us happiness in the moment - we feel good when we give - but it is also the cause for happiness to arise in the future."

~ Joseph Goldstein, The Evolution of Happiness.

https://rainbowtat.tumblr.com/post/169967286844/the-beauty-of-generosity

Much more at this site - use the search button or I may post more - remind me!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
As he was dying, someone asked Aldous Huxley if he would say what he had learned in all of his work with many spiritual teachers and gurus on his own spiritual journey. Huxley’s answer was, "It is embarrassing to tell you this, but it seems to come down mostly to just learning to be kind."

~ Jack Kornfield, Meditation for Beginners

Kindness

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"The intimacy that arises in listening and speaking truth is only possible if we can open to the vulnerability of our own hearts. Breathing in, contacting the life that is right there, is our first step. Once we have held ourselves with kindness, we can touch others in a vital and healing way."

~ Tara Brach, Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha

Intimacy and Vulnerability

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Be kind. Always.

Found this article at a mindfulness site -

In the effort to make “mindfulness” totally non-sectarian some training programs focus almost entirely on strengthening concentration and the ability to stay with present-moment experience, with little or no emphasis on compassion. This has made the mindfulness movement vulnerable to the argument that, for instance, there could be such a thing as a “mindful” terrorist or a "mindful" bank robber.

Of course, something seems very wrong with this, since kindness and compassion are at the core of almost every meditative tradition. This month, we explore the power of compassion and kindness
. There are a number of videos this month, but they are all short and flow one into another:

In "Be Kind. Always.", mindfulness teacher Jamie Derrick talks about this personal guideline which has been central to her life for many years. This is not a "wimpy-walk-on-me" kindness but a strong, "say-what-needs-to-be-said" kindness. Being kind does not necessarily mean backing down when a hard truth needs to be told or when we need to protect ourselves. Jamie reminds us that kindness is possible in any circumstance when intelligence and wisdom are applied.

Graduates - Be Kind. Always.

Enjoy your browsing!