• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
8d32d439-e22d-15dc-114c-f27320bd0312.jpg

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Tiny Buddha faith in humanity -

When we hear someone speak about faith, we usually expect to hear about some kind of subjective encounter with supernatural forces. In our skeptical age, we tend to look at faith as “believing in something you know not to be true,” as Mark Twain expressed.

Before we dismiss any talk of faith, however, we should remember that there are many ways to understand the word. You can have faith in a benevolent, loving deity guiding your every move. But you can also have faith that you’ll wake up in the morning. Or that the dollar in your pocket today will be worth as much tomorrow.

Believing in Our Goodness: Do You Have Faith in Humanity?

Loads more at that site - check-out the menus at top of screen.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Tiny Buddha kindness - a few - yet to fully explore ... here is one -

“And remember this—no matter what you do, be kind to others. That should be the fundamental base of all your actions.”

Stunned for the millionth time, I stood there, speechless. She left. I saw her walk away. I don’t even know her full name. Or her contact details.

I went home that night and hugged my mother. I needed it. I needed her. And I never knew I needed Mrs. Chan and her words.

It came to me because I was kind. And it came to me when I least expected it.

Being kind is the fundamental base of all my actions. And I will remember that for the rest of my life.

Sometimes in life we meet people who are there to help and guide us, but we have to be open to receive it. Whether or not we choose to accept it, everyone wins when we’re all kind to one another.

Never underestimate the power of kindness. You never know how much happiness you can bring to someone’s life.

The Power of Kindness: Life-Changing Advice About Being Happy

Enjoy your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From boosting your mood to lowering stress, the power of kindness is proven. In fact, science shows the benefits of kindness are greater for the giver than the receiver. So, as Calvin Holbrook suggests, help others and help yourself, too.

Can you remember the last time a stranger was kind to you? Maybe someone held a door open or offered you help with directions in the street? Or, perhaps you can recall the last time you helped somebody. After recently carrying out a few altruistic acts myself, I wanted to find out more about the power and benefits of kindness.

Just before Christmas I passed a homeless man sitting outside a London Tube station. Coming out of a nearby coffee shop after paying almost £3 for a flat white, I couldn’t justify spending that on a hot drink while he was sat with nothing. I started a conversation to find out how he was doing and he was thankful when I offered him some change and a banana. However, he seemed most grateful when I simply asked him what his name was. When I got up to leave, he looked directly into my eyes and gave me a genuine ‘thank you.’

Read much more -

The power of kindness: why being nice benefits us all

Looks an excellent site - off to explore a bit more ...

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
According to an annual survey from the American Psychological Association, stress is an all-too-common experience. What's more, many people feel stressed beyond their coping abilities.

Between work, money issues, family stress, and other obligations, it can be easy to feel overworked, frustrated, and burned out.

You may already be practicing stress-relieving techniques like yoga or meditation, but there's another way to relieve stress you may not have tried: lending a helping hand to someone in need.

At first, you might worry that giving other people your time and attention will only make your schedule busier, but research has shown that helping others benefits your mental and physical health.

Here's an overview of what science says about stress and altruism, as well as some ideas of good deeds that do good for others and make you feel good, too.

Helping Others Can Increase Happiness and Reduce Stress

Loads more at that site!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Three Strategies for Bringing More Kindness into Your Life

One of the best ways to increase our own happiness is to do things that make other people happy. In countless studies, kindness and generosity have been linked to greater life satisfaction, stronger relationships, and better mental and physical health—generous people even live longer.

What’s more, the happiness people derive from giving to others creates a positive feedback loop: The positive feelings inspire further generosity—which, in turn, fuels greater happiness. And research suggests that kindness is truly contagious: Those who witness and benefit from others’ acts of kindness are more likely to be kind themselves; a single act of kindness spreads through social networks by three degrees of separation, from person to person to person to person.

But just because we have the capacity for kindness, and reap real benefits from it, doesn’t mean that we always act with kindness. We may be too busy, distracted, or wrapped up in our own concerns to pay close attention to others’ needs or actively seek out opportunities to help. Or we’re just out of practice: Researchers have argued that kindness is like a muscle that needs to be strengthened through repeated use.

Three Strategies for Bringing More Kindness into Your…

Plus the links in the actual text! Yet to fully explore this site ...

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness is about treating others the way you want to be treated.

It’s more than just holding your tongue when you’re tempted to say something unkind; kindness looks for ways to make life better for others. It takes delight in lifting others up and reminding them they’re not alone, invisible, or insignificant.

Kindness and compassion are closely related; the latter involves the readiness to see a situation from someone else’s perspective and to give them the benefit of the doubt. It also takes into consideration what the other person has gone through and chooses to respond with kindness rather than anger or vengefulness.

To read more about other "virtues" -

29 Of The Most Important Values To Live By

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness refers to feeling others as an extension of yourself, and taking joy in doing good for them. Kindness means serving and giving, and enjoying it for the act itself. Kindness covers several other virtues and is the foundation of them all. These virtues include consideration, generosity, selflessness, compassion, service, sensitivity, friendliness, cooperation etc. Kindness and its related virtues form the core of the social fabric of our society. Kindness is one of the best ways to experience something that is larger than you.

To know more about this virtue, you can read Pierro Ferruci’s The Power of Kindness.

Read a bunch more here -

List of Virtues | The Ten Virtues of Life | 12 Aristotle List of Virtues

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Several books about kindness - and many other positive human qualities -

Each book is reviewed at that site - click on the book title

Koenig, Harold G. Kindness and Joy: Expressing the Gentle Love — A brief but worthwhile examination of spiritual practice of kindness.

Salzberg, Sharon. The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion — A warm and salutary guidebook on how to practice kindness.

Salzberg, Sharon. Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness — A rounded and revealing treatment of kindness as an important Buddhist practice.

Shapiro, Rami. The Sacred Art of Lovingkindness: Preparing to Practice — A beautiful and profound book, packed with concrete practices, on lovingkindness in Judaism and other religions.

Thondup, Tulku. The Healing Power of Loving-Kindness: A Guided Buddhist Meditation — A rousing overview of the practice of loving-kindness plus 12 guided meditations on three CDs.

Ferrucci, Piero. The Power of Kindness: The Unexpected Benefits of Leading a Compassionate Life — A rich and rounded exploration of 18 different dimensions of kindness.

From this huge site -

Refining Character | Book Feature | Spirituality & Practice

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Found yet another huge site from first impressions - yet to check-out all the menus at top-of-page ...

Do you ever get that warm fuzzy feeling when you do something nice for someone? It is a zillion times more satisfying than when you treat yourself. And it gives you a happy bubble that lifts you up a little higher for the rest of the day.

What do the experts say?

Although ‘feeling fuzzy’ may not be a scientific term, research has shown that acting kindly towards others does have a very real effect on our psychological and physical well-being.

“People who engage in kind acts become happier over time,” says Sonja Lyubomirsky, a professor of Psychology at the University of California, Riverside with over 20 years’ experience studying happiness. “When you are kind to others, you feel good as a person — more moral, optimistic, and positive.”

And that is not all. The University of British Columbia found simple acts like opening doors for others and buying a friend lunch helped reduce anxiety and improve mood in socially anxious individuals. Furthermore, acts of kindness can release Oxytocin, a ‘cardio protective’ hormone associated with lowering blood pressure.

Being kind is good for your mind and good for your heart.

Here is the site I am talking about -

The Kindness Virus: How Paying It Forward Works For Everyone

Enjoy your evening!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Seek happiness through kindness - a couple -

How have you shown kindness to someone today? How has someone else been kind to you?

With the increased acknowledgment that bullying behavior is a widespread epidemic in workplaces and schools, the need to reclaim our kindness roots is imperative.

Worldwide efforts to shine a light on kindness have led to the development of kindness curriculums and days devoted to celebrating kindness and compassion.

There are countless organizations whose entire mission is to spread kindness. As you read this article, you’ll learn about several of them. You’ll also learn about ordinary people doing ordinary things with extraordinary results.

Read MUCH more at this site -

What is Kindness in Psychology? (Incl. Activities + Quotes)

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Joy doing good deeds - similar story ... to pick just one -

We’ve often heard that acts of kindness make us happier, but there’s a problem with that blanket statement: While these little kind actions make us happier at first, just doing the same act of kindness again and again won’t make us happy in the long run. Science shows that if we come to do the same good deeds repeatedly, they make less and less of an impact on our happiness—mainly because we acclimate to that behavior and subsequent reactions. So to get people out of their “acts of kindness comfort zones,” Soul Pancake got four volunteers to go above and beyond by approaching strangers, making phone calls to loved ones, and more. The verdict? Perform your acts of kindness, but constantly push yourself to do something uniquely kind, all the time!

The Science of Doing Good Deeds May Surprise You

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Finally? - a search for mindfulness & kindness leads here -

As the pace of our lives continues to accelerate, driven by a host of forces seemingly beyond our control, more and more of us are finding ourselves drawn to engage in meditation, in this radical act of being. We are moving in the direction of meditative awareness for many reasons, not the least of which may be to maintain our individual and collective sanity, or recover our perspective and sense of meaning, or simply to deal with the outrageous stress and insecurity of this age.

By stopping and intentionally falling awake to how things are in this moment, purposefully, without succumbing to our own reactions and judgments, and by working wisely with such occurrences with a healthy dose of self-compassion when we do succumb, and by our willingness to take up residency for a time in the present moment in spite of all our plans and activities aimed at getting somewhere else, completing a project or pursuing desired objects or goals, we discover that such an act is both immensely, discouragingly difficult and yet utterly simple, profound, hugely possible after all, and restorative of mind and body, soul and spirit right in that moment. It is indeed a radical act of love just to sit down and be quiet for a time by yourself.

This Loving-Kindness Meditation is a Radical Act of Love - Mindful