• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Aroha in a person is an all-encompassing quality of goodness, expressed by love for people, land, birds and animals, fish and all living things. A person who has aroha for another expresses genuine concern towards them and acts with their welfare in mind, no matter what their state of health or wealth. It is the act of love that adds quality and meaning to life.

~ from "Native Wisdom for White Minds" by Anne Wison Schaef

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again."

~ Og Mandino

20 Quotes to Inspire Kindness

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"Every act of kindness is like a pebble thrown in a pond sending out ripples far beyond where the pebble entered the water. When we're caring and kind to our neighbors our actions send rings of kindness that spread from neighbor to neighbor to neighbor."

~ Angela Artemis

Comes from a wonderful PDF page contatining dozens of suggestions -

http://www.thebridgemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/31-Days-of-Kindness_Manifesto1.pdf

Hard to pick a favourite ... the very first one is as follows:

Overlooking faults and focusing on the goodness in someone.

Enjoy your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's a book review -

The Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, Sharon Salzberg, and other Buddhists have written beautifully and profoundly about lovingkindness. In this equally beautiful and profound paperback, Rabbi Rami Shapiro bases his presentation on Judaism's Thirteen Attributes of Lovingkindness and broadens it with the wisdom of other religions.

He begins with a meditation on the universal human challenge to act in a godly manner since we have been created in the likeness of God. A visualization practice helps us see what this means. Another spur to making our lives more loving and kind is cultivating an appreciation of ourselves as being totally original and beyond all labels and categorizations.

For more click here -

The Sacred Art of Lovingkindness | Book Reviews | Books | Spirituality & Practice

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't think this has been posted.

kindness_calendar.jpg

Jedster

So, I have just returned from an early morning walk and passed a cafe that regularly shows various peoples art in the window.
Each picture has a saying the artist has written, with it.and this one stands out:
"Please give me Knowledge, so that I can show kindness to everyone" (from an 11 year old)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
So, I have just returned from an early morning walk and passed a cafe that regularly shows various peoples art in the window.
Each picture has a saying the artist has written, with it.and this one stands out:
"Please give me Knowledge, so that I can show kindness to everyone" (from an 11 year old)

Sounds like a great cafe!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Lion's Roar is another wonderful site -

When we open ourselves to others, we are also opening ourselves to pain. As in this story of the Buddha, when we are aware of the suffering of other beings, as well as of our own suffering, kindness arises as a natural response. But we have a tendency to shield ourselves from pain and cover over that awareness. We reject those parts of our own experience that are painful and we also avoid facing the pain we see all around us. By distancing ourselves from pain, we distance ourselves from one another. We lose the ground of connection that makes kindness possible.

For the full article click here -

Kindness to Ourselves and Others

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Treat everyone with kindness.

Did you know that it has been scientifically proven that being kind makes you happier? Every time you perform a selfless act, your brain produces serotonin, a hormone that eases tension and lifts your spirits. Not only that, but treating people with love, dignity, and respect also allows you to build stronger relationships.

Comes from this site -

http://www.lifed.com/22-things-happy-people-do-differently

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I keep finding them ...

Although kindness can be misunderstood as an ineffectual or even superficial nicety, it’s neither. Like many amazing practices I’ve learned through mindfulness training, kindness is inspiring, powerful, courageous and wise. It’s also disarming, compelling and transformative. In any given moment, the kindness you offer to yourself or to others affects what happens in the very next moment.

Like mindfulness itself, kindness is a natural human quality that requires intentional action to realize it’s potential. And like mindfulness, research shows that kindness is good for our physical and our emotional well-being.

Studies show that thinking about, observing or practicing a kind act stimulates that vagus nerve, which literally warms up the heart and may be closely connected to the brain’s receptor networks for oxytocin, the soothing hormone involved in maternal bonding. Kindness also triggers the reward system in our brain’s emotion regulation center releasing dopamine, the hormone that’s associated with positive emotions and the sensation of a natural high.

Comes from another great site -

Intentional Acts of Kindness

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's a couple of Google searches you may like 2 try ...

Character strengths kindness

Greater Good kindness

Action for happiness kindness

Dacher Keltner kindness

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Visualise every being as you own beloved mother or as another person for whom you have the utmost affection, someone who, for you, embodies great kindness. Call up the feelings of affection that arise with regard to that person and then extend those feelings to every other being. Perceive that each being has been equally kind and loving to you.

~ Dalai Lama