• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Humble Dandelion

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I wanted the make a post in praise of the Humble dandelions, and its many uses. This herb has been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years, and is especially nutritious.

All about dandelions and their health benefits - Kind Earth

IMG_20210423_120835.jpg

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I know there are many things you can do with it...

However, the best use is bringing me a bit of joy after the harsh winters Iowa endures. These little flowers bring out a sense of relief in my I don't find in anything else.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I have a bumper crop.
They're nice until they go to seed.
But it's not worth getting rid of them.
So they flourish in me yards.

Yeah, I let them grow in my yard for the bees.

Did you know if you mow them down when they are taller, the purposely flower shorter the next time to spite you? I've noticed this when mowing my lawn.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, I let them grow in my yard for the bees.

Did you know if you mow them down when they are taller, the purposely flower shorter the next time to spite you? I've noticed this when mowing my lawn.
I've only noticed that they're survivors.
If we find life on mars, it'll be a dandelion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They're incredible survivors, and I admire them for that. They can handle very dry weather to the extent of withstanding a year of drought conditions, and really wet weather, so much you can't drown them out. They don't mind sun, or shade. In drought conditions, they'll send the root straight down, and far. As another poster said, they adapt to the length of the cut grass. Beyond this, if you try to pull one, and leave even an inch of the tap root, by breaking it off, they'll re-grow from the root, and within a month you'll have 'another' dandelion in the same spot. If you try to kill them with 2-4-D, before they die, they'll give one last ditch attempt at producing seeds just to keep the species going. If you pull dead plants and leave them on the garden, or anywhere, the remainder of the root will produce one last flower, or if it gets moisture re-root.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
They are a delight to see growing in just about every nook and cranny or fallow field at this time of year. To see the seas of yellow dandilion tells me winter has gone.

sea_of_dandelions_564240.jpg

They are not a delight in the courtyard though and i am sorry to say i do kill them off there. After having tried and failed with several off the shelf weed killers i found boiling water does the trick

Bear Wild

I wanted the make a post in praise of the Humble dandelions, and its many uses. This herb has been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years, and is especially nutritious.

All about dandelions and their health benefits - Kind Earth

View attachment 49869

So beautiful. I never understood the word weeds. But then again I do not really like the monoculture grass lawn. That I why I am planting Texas wildflowers and trees in my yard. Also planted honeysuckle for the butterflies and the humming bird.

Like the dog too!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Its that time of year again. A snowstorm of dandelion seeds, settling and turning everything white. The cats are having great fun chasing and catching them.

Covid is reducing, most people are vaccinated, we no longer need to wear masks. Oh yes we do, the clouds of parachute seeds get everywhere

d178fy9h9e351.jpg