• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Greater the Love, The Greater the Hate

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
love%20hate%20dice.jpg
However the less the love, the less the hate.
We only really hate those we love.

The Deeper the Love, the Deeper the Hate

Should we love less to lessen the hate in the world?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Taoism has a philosophy based on a similar concept.
If there was no beauty in the world, there would be no ugliness the Tao Te Ching says (paraphrase). If one recognizes some things as beautiful, then they must recognize some things as ugly. In the same respect, this idea could be applied to love / hate, I believe.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
love%20hate%20dice.jpg

That might be true in some instances but I don't think it is true across the board. For example I love my cats more than anything in the world but I never hate them. I might get angry when they do naughty things, but I never hate them.

However, sometimes I hate my husband. Does that mean that I really love him? Sometimes I hate God and my religion but I also love them, I know that. I have analyzed why this is the case, why there is hate, so I know why, and it makes sense and is understandable that under the circumstances that I would hate my husband, God, and my religion, as all of them have caused me so much suffering, but I hang in with all of them because I really do love them. It's good that I understand this because if not I would have dismissed all of them by now.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
loving all lessens the hate. love thy neighbor is loving everyone as self. loving love with all they heart, all thy mind, and all thy body is to love self.

So you never hate yourself?

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
love%20hate%20dice.jpg

Dear Nakosis

It is absolutely so that deep attachments make hatred - when felt - far greater.

It is even so that the most profound sort of hatred is for that which we once loved (believed and trusted in) but which, for whatever reason, came to let us down.
It is so in our attachments, not only to people but to tribes, nations, cultures, ideals, principles and anything else that we may identify with.

Yet, it is not in order to care, love and hate less that we let go of ego and its attachments, but to make room for our special calling and to be able to serve humanity equally, without bias.

The solution to hatred is never to learn how to love less.

Even as an idea, that is already to say: “I do not trust life and, as I cannot put my trust in another, I shall only trust and love myself.
And that is already a loveless existence, because there is no way by which to continue to trust (and love) yourself if you now must doubt your previous trust (and love) in others.

Remember that one does not rid oneself of hatred for the sake of another; one does so for the sake of oneself.

To rid oneself from hatred one must:
  1. First, forgive oneself (for having misjudged… cared/loved/ believed/trusted… not listened to others… gone only by what others said… not seen the signs… gone against intuition… trusted intuition alone… not been there… been there… allowed oneself to have been consumed by hatred and allowed the actions of another dictate one’s being…etc, etc, etc).
  2. Second, learn to trust oneself once more. Not because one will never be here again, but because one is worthy of love/trust despite sometimes failing oneself.
  3. Third, love oneself enough again to take back one’s power over self and future, from that which one has hated.
  4. Do all of the above for the core of that which one has hated.
Freeing oneself from hatred is one of the hardest but greatest gifts one can grant oneself.

Humbly
Hermit

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Love/hate I think comes from false or even unreal expectations, and living too much inside one's own emotions, and one's own head. I could be wrong.

Just when a person gets their inner life straight, then they have to deal with the outside world.

Or a person has to deal with the outside world before they ever get their inner life straight at all.

I think of the song ' just my imagination ' ! A lot of times we get high on imagination without seeing the reality.

That's where love/hate comes in.

Or a person is let down in actuality, when they thought everything was wonderful, and on the up front.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Dear Nakosis

It is absolutely so that deep attachments make hatred - when felt - far greater.

It is even so that the most profound sort of hatred is for that which we once loved (believed and trusted in) but which, for whatever reason, came to let us down.
It is so in our attachments, not only to people but to tribes, nations, cultures, ideals, principles and anything else that we may identify with.

Yet, it is not in order to care, love and hate less that we let go of ego and its attachments, but to make room for our special calling and to be able to serve humanity equally, without bias.

The solution to hatred is never to learn how to love less.

Even as an idea, that is already to say: “I do not trust life and, as I cannot put my trust in another, I shall only trust and love myself.
And that is already a loveless existence, because there is no way by which to continue to trust (and love) yourself if you now must doubt your previous trust (and love) in others.

Remember that one does not rid oneself of hatred for the sake of another; one does so for the sake of oneself.

To rid oneself from hatred one must:
  1. First, forgive oneself (for having misjudged… cared/loved/ believed/trusted… not listened to others… gone only by what others said… not seen the signs… gone against intuition… trusted intuition alone… not been there… been there… allowed oneself to have been consumed by hatred and allowed the actions of another dictate one’s being…etc, etc, etc).
  2. Second, learn to trust oneself once more. Not because one will never be here again, but because one is worthy of love/trust despite sometimes failing oneself.
  3. Third, love oneself enough again to take back one’s power over self and future, from that which one has hated.
  4. Do all of the above for the core of that which one has hated.
Freeing oneself from hatred is one of the hardest but greatest gifts one can grant oneself.

Humbly
Hermit

My main argument/view with with those that promote love as a universal answer. To me, love and hate are two sides of the same coin. Love betrayed becomes hate. And, or love destroyed becomes hate.

There is, IMO, a problem with too much love as well much as too much hate.

As for myself, I find neither love nor hate is required. I accept myself, for better or worse. This is who I am. There is no reason really to love nor hate who I am.

Do I love? Sure. Does this leave the potential to hate? Also yes. This to me is part of being human. To glorify one and deny the other is to deny ourselves.

PureX

Veteran Member
Actually, I think hate is the result of selfishness, not of love. I think that when we 'love' with expectations, and then those expectations are not met, our 'love' turns to hate. Mostly because it wasn't really love at all. It was selfishness. We loved what we thought we were getting, or would get, from the 'beloved'. Which isn't really love for them, at all. It's just our own selfish desires masquerading as love for them.