• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great Commission?

As a Christian, how do you view what is called the Great Commission?
How important is it to you?
How do you carry it out?

Matthew 28:19-20

19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
I see it as the author's way of saying..'Go and teach everyone about God's love and forgiveness'.

Not the hellfire and brimstone preaching that many over the centuries have taken it to mean.

I share God's love for us through my actions. I don't preach.:D

(no idea if that was the kind of answer you were looking for, I think I understood your question right)

Thank you for replying Candi......
I'm not looking for any particular answer. I'm just interested as to what people think about it.

Adding to my original questions:

Is following it something that we are supposed to do as practicing Christians?
If so, why?
If not, why?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
AllisonW70 said:
How do you carry it out?

19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

The Great Commission to me is witnessing and testifying to others about Christ Jesus, His Love and the awesome plan that God has for our salvation.

My duties as a Christian are of the utmost importance to me.

I have major areas of opportunity when it comes to witnessing. I've never been one to approach a stranger on the street or to go door to door and witness, although, I know in my heart that I probably should.

What I try to do is to love people as much as I can, regardless of who they are or what they do and to try to set an example in that way. I try to show people through my actions that I have Christ within me. Sometimes I do a decent job and more times, I fail miserably.

I'm clinging to scripture, where we're told that when we love, the law is completely fulfilled and I hope that I touch someone along my path by loving them.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
dawny0826 said:
I have major areas of opportunity when it comes to witnessing. I've never been one to approach a stranger on the street or to go door to door and witness, although, I know in my heart that I probably should.
I think you've probably got it more right than you think. I find "cold call" evangelizing to be very offputting and downright arrogant. It's much more effective if a relationship is there first, even if that relationship is no more than a few minutes old before you see an honest need, and even then, it has to be extremely gentle.
dawny0826 said:
What I try to do is to love people as much as I can, regardless of who they are or what they do and to try to set an example in that way. I try to show people through my actions that I have Christ within me. Sometimes I do a decent job and more times, I fail miserably.
This is dead on. When you witness out of genuine love and concern it shows. As I said above, when it's done from a mindset of, "gee, I guess I really need to witness to that poor-looking guy there because Jesus said so." it is not only less successful, but arrogant.

As someone who left "Christendom", I find that I sometimes (despite my best efforts) have some animosity toward my previous religion. However, when it is presented in such an obviously loving and well meaning way as I've seen you do it on the forum Dawn, I've never taken offense.

Peace,
Brandon

Booko

Deviled Hen
AllisonW70 said:
How do you carry it out?

Did you want this in the Comparative Religion section? I can move it to any of the Christian areas if you like.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
AllisonW70 said:
Thank you for replying Candi......
I'm not looking for any particular answer. I'm just interested as to what people think about it.

Adding to my original questions:

Is following it something that we are supposed to do as practicing Christians?
If so, why?
If not, why?

I don't think it is necessarily something that you HAVE to do...but why not live your life in a way that touches others and let them feel the presence of God in you so that they will also someday learn how to recognize it in themselves.

BrandonE wrote: "This is dead on. When you witness out of genuine love and concern it shows. As I said above, when it's done from a mindset of, "gee, I guess I really need to witness to that poor-looking guy there because Jesus said so." it is not only less successful, but arrogant."

I agree with this.
Also, a lot of people are not going to want to stand there and listen to a person go on and on about Jesus or the bible or whatever...but a simple 'God loves you' and showing concern for a person will show someone far more of God than preaching ever will (IMO).

Eventually if you were to build up a relationship with a person..you COULD read the Holy Books together and discuss them but to throw all that at someone upfront can make the one on the recieving end close themselves off to you.

lunamoth

Will to love
mostly harmless said:
I see it as the author's way of saying..'Go and teach everyone about God's love and forgiveness'.

Not the hellfire and brimstone preaching that many over the centuries have taken it to mean.

I share God's love for us through my actions. I don't preach.:D

(no idea if that was the kind of answer you were looking for, I think I understood your question right)

Very nice answer. :D

Dawny said:

You do a great job going by what I've heard you say. :)

luna

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Ummm...it seems to me Jesus was talking to his disciples, not telling people two millenia later to go harassing folks door to door.

Booko said:
Did you want this in the Comparative Religion section? I can move it to any of the Christian areas if you like.

Thank you. That would be fine. I wasn't sure where the best place for this would be.
And thanks to everyone for replying.

nutshell

spacemonkey said:
Ummm...it seems to me Jesus was talking to his disciples, not telling people two millenia later to go harassing folks door to door.

Jesus was talking to his disciples, but what do you think he was saying?

nutshell said:
Jesus was talking to his disciples, but what do you think he was saying?

Thank you to all who replied.

Nutshell,
You asked the question that I was trying to reach. Jesus was talking to His disciples. As Christians, are WE not also considered His disciples?
Is it not our job as much as it was their's to follow this commandment?
Or did He just intend for the Good News to die with all of those who lived during His time?

nutshell

AllisonW70 said:
Thank you to all who replied.

Nutshell,
You asked the question that I was trying to reach. Jesus was talking to His disciples. As Christians, are WE not also considered His disciples?
Or did He just intend for the Good News to die with all of those who lived during His time?

Allison, I completely agree with you and I'm hoping Spacemonkey will come back and post his answer.

I was just hoping to see some more replies. These questions were never answered.

As Christians, are WE not also considered His disciples?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
AllisonW70 said:
I view it as the responsibility we as Christians have been given to spread the good news of our redemption.

It's very important to me.

How do you carry it out?
Me personally? Well, I hang around RF a lot. :) I try to share the truth as I perceive it with anyone who may be interested. To me, the gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of hope and joy. I try to communicate that in my posts.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
AllisonW70 said:
How do you carry it out?

Interestingly ... it says nothing about women not teaching.
nor laymen baptizing.
It seems to mean every one ?( who is baptized)? should do these things, though I can't think of a church that would agree to both.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
AllisonW70 said:
I was just hoping to see some more replies. These questions were never answered.

As Christians, are WE not also considered His disciples?
Yes, I believe we are.

It absolutely is.

Of course not. :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
AllisonW70 said:
How do you carry it out?

UUs aren't specifically Christian but we come from that tradition:

"Go out into the highways and bi-ways. Give the people something of your new vision. You may possess a small light, but uncover it, let it shine, use it in order to bring more light and understanding to the hearts and minds of men and women. Give them not hell, but hope and courage; preach the kindness and everlasting love of God."
- John Murray, one of the founders of American Universalism