• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The God Thread

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Impure typically means diluted or mixed with and extraneous substance. In this case, being tied to gunas. Vrittis affect impurity in being.
Your view, Salix. Welcome. In my view, Brahman is incorruptible. To see it corruptible is 'ajnanaa'. What vrittis (inclinations) we perceive, belong to an illusion in an illusory world. Brahman is uninvolved, निर्लिप्त (nirlipta) - how can it be contaminated? :)

Google translate gives me the translation 'Udaseen' (unconcerned), The meaning is OK, but not the way 'Nirlipta' could be written. Got it from Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit, where you write in English and it gives you the Devnagari version.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
'Maya' arises by the existence of Brahman. It affects those who do not understand it. It does not sully Brahman. Brahman always remains unchanged, goes its own way.

To make it more explicit, does a human being pious or evil affects the atoms/energy that this human is composed of? That is what Brahman is.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
'Maya' arises by the existence of Brahman. It affects those who do not understand it. It does not sully Brahman. Brahman always remains unchanged, goes its own way.

To make it more explicit, does a human being pious or evil affects the atoms/energy that this human is composed of? That is what Brahman is.

Yes, Brahman is immutable, but appearances in Brahman...not so much.

Gold can appear as a necklace, a bangle, or a ring, but all three appearances remain unchanged as gold. The gold is unsullied, regardless of appearance. But the jeweler affects the change in the appearance of gold, just as Maya affects change in the appearance of Brahman.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"yathā somyaikena lohamaṇinā sarvaṃ lohamayaṃ vijñātaṃ syādvācārambhaṇaṃ vikāro nāmadheyaṃ lohamityeva satyam || 6.1.5 ||"

O Somya, it is like this: By knowing a single lump of gold you know all objects made of gold. All changes are mere words, in name only. But gold is the reality.
Chandogya Upanishad, Verse 6.1.5 (English and Sanskrit)

Many such examples in Chandogya Upanishad Chapter 6. May be 20. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
"yathā somyaikena lohamaṇinā sarvaṃ lohamayaṃ vijñātaṃ syādvācārambhaṇaṃ vikāro nāmadheyaṃ lohamityeva satyam || 6.1.5 ||"

O Somya, it is like this: By knowing a single lump of gold you know all objects made of gold. All changes are mere words, in name only. But gold is the reality.

Are you saying that no change occurs in appearance. That these changes are in name only?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sure, appearances change, if a person goes only by appearances; but the base remains unaffected. And yes, the changes are in name only.
"vācārambhaṇaṃ vikāro nāmadheyaṃ" (All changes are mere words, in name only - in that sites translation).
Aup's translation: "distortions (vikāra) in the manner of speaking (vācārambhaṇaṃ) of the name (nāmadheyaṃ)".

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

Interesting stuff there. My translation has it as: "..the difference being only a name, arising from speech..", but it amounts to the same thing, ie naming form.

Bird123

What all does this Supreme Being is supposed to do? Why do you term it as a 'Being' rather than nature or some similar word? In what way it is different from Brahman which is not a Being?
Does nothing other than that exist?

I use the term Being because that is the best description.

What all does this Supreme Being do? I do not have the capabilities to even know what all is being done. On the other hand, look around you. This is the Supreme Being's handy work including the human factors. You can Discover so much understanding one's actions.

Brahman is not a Being. The Supreme Being is.

Does nothing other than that exist? How about Lots of Kids. Example: You and I.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Bird123

For clarification, are you making a distinction between Brahman and "The Supreme Being?"

In my understanding, Nirguna Brahman is pure being.

I'm afraid I'm not up on my Brahman. It is my understanding Brahman is not an actual being but more like nature. The Supreme Being is actually a Being.

You already know the Supreme Being whether you know you know or not. A time will come when you will understand this.

That's what I see. It's very clear

Bird123

To both of you, @Bird123 and @SalixIncendium, What do you mean by 'being' here? And Salix, what is an 'impure' being?:
Being:
- the fact of existing; existence (as opposed to nonexistence).
- conscious, mortal existence; life: Our being is as an instantaneous flash of light in the midst of eternal night.
- substance or nature: of such a being as to arouse fear.
- something that exists: inanimate beings.
- a living thing: strange, exotic beings that live in the depths of the sea.
Definition of being | Dictionary.com
- Aup. adds: or a Supernatural worship-seeking monotheist God Being - "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me."?

The fact of existing is my choice.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Does nothing other than that exist? How about Lots of Kids. Example: You and I.
In most Hinduism, it is 'maya', an illusion. Like people getting born, growing up, getting married, begetting children and dying in a film. Brahman does nothing other than what is nature is.
The fact of existing is my choice.
You are very close to me except that you term it as 'God'. A word ('Bhagawan' in Hindi) that I have rejected.

Bird123

In most Hinduism, it is 'maya', an illusion. Like people getting born, growing up, getting married, begetting children and dying in a film. Brahman does nothing other than what is nature is.You are very close to me except that you term it as 'God'. A word ('Bhagawan' in Hindi) that I have rejected.

I really do not know much about Hinduism. I looked up maya and it says it's the magical power that, like you said, makes people get born etc. There is no magical power. It isn't just nature either.

When one is born into this world, one starts to get acclimated to the surroundings. Everything is labeled for language and communication sake. I use the term God not as a defining word but as a common reference so people might have a clue of what I speak.

Spiritual communication is about what is, rather than labels. God or the Supreme Being or whatever title you wish has no name because names are never needed. Everyone already knows who everyone is. My earthly name was never used because it is not me. It's a title.

Find a dark quiet place away from all worldly distractions. Focus inward. That is who you are. That is what it's about. The connections are there. It comes out to what is, rather than language then figuring out the language. On the other hand, in the presence of High Intelligence working on multiple levels with multiple views, one must stretch the thinking. It might take a week after the experience to figure out all that was said. Who knows what was missed simply because I do not have the same capabilities.

I have found no religion that really understands God. On the other hand, each have parts of the puzzle. God has never ever been about ruling, controlling, worship,believing, sin or all the petty things mankind holds so dear. People make God in the image that reflects themselves. God is at a much Higher Level. That is where we are all headed regardless of any choices we make. We will learn the way by Living our Lessons.

Mankind carries such a narrow view. There is so very much out there staring us all in the face, yet so many choose to focus on one little thing, blind to all the possibilities and all that exists. I cry that!! I try to work on mine everyday. In doing so, I am often surprised at what I Discover along my journey and in people I encounter.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!