• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Garden of good and evil

QuestioningMind

If as YOU claim they ALREADY KNEW it was WRONG to take someone else's possessions... then according to YOU they didn't even have to eat from the tree... they ALREADY understood RIGHT and WRONG... they ALREADY knew the concept of SHAME.

That is the problem right there. See the post above.

So I'll ask you AGAIN... what is it that changed when they ate of the tree? It's called the tree of knowledge... what knowledge did they gain from it? They were PURE & INNOCENT prior to eating from the tree... innocent of WHAT? According to you they were completely educated and innocent of nothing.

Kelly of the Phoenix

So I was listening to the Atheists radio show on youtube again with Matt and one of the other ones I forget the names.
Doesn't really matter. Every clip seems to have different people on it. :)

How can God hold them responsible for doing evil when they did not know what evil was? Why did God punish them ????It is not a fair and just God.God was wrong.
First of all, God lied about the consequences. He said they'd die that day, like it was poisonous or something. He hid from them the REAL reason brought up by the serpent: God didn't want them to have divine powers. That's it. It was some petty thing. The serpent did not lie as God verifies the serpent's version VERBATIM Himself. If the serpent's lying, so is God.

Second, they weren't punished with death. He didn't kill them. He slapped them on the wrist and sent them on their way. Having to adult is not punishment, no matter what my mother and father think. :p

Third, this is a story that is a leftover from previous myths. Ancient Gods all over the place had magic gardens with fruit or whatever that had powers, usually immortality.

Adam and Eve were told not to do something by God. They did it anyway. Disobedience doesn't require a knowledge of good and evil.
But it's more likely to occur if you don't know why disobedience is BAD.

And besides that, disobeying a dumb rule shouldn't equate to evil. Despite the fact Jesus wants us to be like God, OT God under no circumstances wanted us to be anywhere close to His status, which is weird because if that's impossible, why worry about it so much? He made us in His image and then whines when we act like Him.

If there is nothing evil about it, I do not care if it is sin or not, its not evil, it should be punished.
The REAL evil thing is that Eve is punished for breaking a rule that was set up PRIOR to her creation and the story never shows us she is told the correct rule. That she adds "touching" to it means she was unclear on the details.

Now, there are things that a parent who loves and cares for their children will tell their kid(s) that they can do and there are things that the parent will tell their kid(s) that they cannot do. A person who doesn't begin to teach their kid(s) the difference between "yes" and "no"; "do" and "don't"; "you may" and "you may not", should not have children nor be left in charge of children.
Agreed, but if you leave the gun next to the kid, someone's gonna die and it's the parent's fault.

Just one rule, and they broke it. And as a consequence, you're in Texas and confused, when you could have been living in the Garden of Eden.
If the Garden of Eden was so great, how did it get so messed up?

Why the heck did God put that tree there fore?
God's kinda dumb. I'm glad I stopped equating the biblical character with any real deity.

Eden was probably the entire Earth
How do you figure? There's no evidence Yahweh knows ANYTHING much outside a limited area of the Middle East.

Sin is not about disobedience. I mean, yes, when people disobeyed God they tended to get punished, but it really isn't about that. If you'll notice, as you say, some of these laws are arbitrary. This means, if one of us were God for a day, we could set up laws like "don't eat raw garlic with fish." Is there anything evil about this? Not except a bad combination of gas and foul breath.
So, sin is made up? I agree. Note that after they eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, they start making up sins like nudity that no one ever said was a sin.

... and did you believe them??? I hope not. I see, I am too late. You believed them.
It's a good thing, as Matt studied to be a preacher and was a Christian for decades and studied the bible diligently. Studies have often showed that just about everyone knows the bible better than Christians.

God had warned them of the fallen angel previously.
When did that happen?

I would cease listening to 'atheists' (those who are "without God", atheoi, in the world, Ephesians 2:12) if you want to understand what scripture says, and go to the scripture itself (KJB) and ask the Author of its inspiration for understanding.
But the authors are dead. And before you say God inspired it, God told me He didn't. What happens next? Whom should I believe, man or God, especially when human authors are attributed to every single book and none are attributed to God? There is no "Gospel of God" out there. Just of men.

For instance, if I really want to understand "Dr. Suess's Cat in the Hat", I do not ask the librarian, sales clerk, a janitor, or some random 'dude' who doesn't believe the message in "Cat in the Hat", nor believe in its author to even exist, but I instead read the actual material and ask the Author about its contents.
You'd need a Ouija board to contact the author of that book, right?

Quality tests seem to have failed miserable after the first attempt.
Back to creators school, I guess.
Well, considering in pre-Jewish sources, Yahweh was just another god in the pantheon and El was the creator (but that doesn't make sense either since like Cronus, He was born when earth and sky mated and you don't create your parents), it makes sense that Yahweh, claiming things that He didn't do, will get lost on some of the details. :)

The issue with your analogy is comparing the ignorant (without knowledge) to someone like Adam/Eve who had knowledge.
What knowledge? That's the whole point: the fruit granted "knowledge".

Adam was created straight from the hand of God with much intelligence
God made a human male and that human male had to *cough*experience*cough* all the other animals before God realizes he needs a woman to mate with to reproduce. God can't even make a woman out of dirt unless you buy the Lilith story.

Mat 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
Jesus ran around bragging about dying and when it finally got around to happening, he cried to get out of it. Jesus was baiting God and got hoisted by his own petard.

Rev_12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
The author can't be talking about the serpent in Genesis, because that was the most honest character in the story. The author calls the serpent, Satan, but the devil isn't in that story. The author lied.

I can have knowledge of the height of the president of the US. I can have knowledge of the president of the US. name, family, skin colour, hair colour, eye colour, birthdate, and many other things, like credit score, historical acheivements, etc. Yet, I can have all of that knowledge, and yet not "know" the man personally, experientially, having never actually met the president of the US in person, or directly spoken with him.
Funnily enough, no one who wrote the NT experienced Jesus.

Riders

Doesn't really matter. Every clip seems to have different people on it. :)

First of all, God lied about the consequences. He said they'd die that day, like it was poisonous or something. He hid from them the REAL reason brought up by the serpent: God didn't want them to have divine powers. That's it. It was some petty thing. The serpent did not lie as God verifies the serpent's version VERBATIM Himself. If the serpent's lying, so is God.

Second, they weren't punished with death. He didn't kill them. He slapped them on the wrist and sent them on their way. Having to adult is not punishment, no matter what my mother and father think. :p

Third, this is a story that is a leftover from previous myths. Ancient Gods all over the place had magic gardens with fruit or whatever that had powers, usually immortality.

But it's more likely to occur if you don't know why disobedience is BAD.

And besides that, disobeying a dumb rule shouldn't equate to evil. Despite the fact Jesus wants us to be like God, OT God under no circumstances wanted us to be anywhere close to His status, which is weird because if that's impossible, why worry about it so much? He made us in His image and then whines when we act like Him.

The REAL evil thing is that Eve is punished for breaking a rule that was set up PRIOR to her creation and the story never shows us she is told the correct rule. That she adds "touching" to it means she was unclear on the details.

Agreed, but if you leave the gun next to the kid, someone's gonna die and it's the parent's fault.

If the Garden of Eden was so great, how did it get so messed up?

God's kinda dumb. I'm glad I stopped equating the biblical character with any real deity.

How do you figure? There's no evidence Yahweh knows ANYTHING much outside a limited area of the Middle East.

So, sin is made up? I agree. Note that after they eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, they start making up sins like nudity that no one ever said was a sin.

It's a good thing, as Matt studied to be a preacher and was a Christian for decades and studied the bible diligently. Studies have often showed that just about everyone knows the bible better than Christians.

When did that happen?

But the authors are dead. And before you say God inspired it, God told me He didn't. What happens next? Whom should I believe, man or God, especially when human authors are attributed to every single book and none are attributed to God? There is no "Gospel of God" out there. Just of men.

You'd need a Ouija board to contact the author of that book, right?

Well, considering in pre-Jewish sources, Yahweh was just another god in the pantheon and El was the creator (but that doesn't make sense either since like Cronus, He was born when earth and sky mated and you don't create your parents), it makes sense that Yahweh, claiming things that He didn't do, will get lost on some of the details. :)

What knowledge? That's the whole point: the fruit granted "knowledge".

God made a human male and that human male had to *cough*experience*cough* all the other animals before God realizes he needs a woman to mate with to reproduce. God can't even make a woman out of dirt unless you buy the Lilith story.

Jesus ran around bragging about dying and when it finally got around to happening, he cried to get out of it. Jesus was baiting God and got hoisted by his own petard.

The author can't be talking about the serpent in Genesis, because that was the most honest character in the story. The author calls the serpent, Satan, but the devil isn't in that story. The author lied.

Funnily enough, no one who wrote the NT experienced Jesus.

I agree.

night912

Agreed. Adam and Eve were not born retarded.

Disagreed. A baby needs 24 hour attention... except when it sleeps,
Adam and Eve were not babies.
That has nothing to do with being able to or not.

No. Of course, you can read the Bible, if you missed that.
Give the verse.

Again, no. Please read the Bible.
That kind of advice about lying to a child is expected from one with no standards of morality. In other words, there is no set standard of right and wrong to such persons. Anything is okay, or anything goes. The Bible calls such persons ungodly, and unrighteous.
Again, give the verse.

A child cannot tell the difference between obedience and disobedience??? Why? Are they mentally retarded?
Not knowing what is obedience and disobedience. They don't need to be retarded in order to not know it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Gosh... I remember asking YOU in one of my first posts what it is that you though the tree of knowledge changed in A & E after they ate from it... and for some reason you've failed to reply, attempting to claim that A & E ALREADY had all of the knowledge that they would require.
I did reply, but if you don't respond to the reply, then it's possible you you would feel you didn't get an answer. Perhaps you were looking for a particular response.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Not knowing what is obedience and disobedience. They don't need to be retarded in order to not know it.
Adam and Eve knew what is obedience and disobedience.
A two year old can know the difference too, and there are millions of two year old children who do.
What makes you think they don't?

It was God's custom to communicate daily, with his children. (Genesis 3:8, 9)
It's also his custom to instruct them. (Job 33:14-17; Psalm 32:8)

QuestioningMind

I did reply, but if you don't respond to the reply, then it's possible you you would feel you didn't get an answer. Perhaps you were looking for a particular response.

Perhaps... but I guess we'll never know, since you didn't bother to inform me what your answer was. Is it so long and complex that you couldn't tell me again?

night912

Adam and Eve knew what is obedience and disobedience.
Shoe the verse where it says they did.

A two year old can know the difference too, and there are millions of two year old children who do.
What makes you think they don't?
They're not Adam and Eve are they?

It was God's custom to communicate daily, with his children. (Genesis 3:8, 9)
Where does it say that god taught them?

It's also his custom to instruct them. (Job 33:14-17; Psalm 32:8)
That's not genesis.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Shoe the verse where it says they did.

They're not Adam and Eve are they?

Where does it say that god taught them?

That's not genesis.
You are not showing me any verses for anything you have proposed.
Meanwhile, I have shown you verses. You seem to want me to give you a verse that spells out everything exactly as you want. Sorry. That won't make a difference. I'm sure there would be something else you would ask to see. The Bible is not written as night912 wants, anf for night912. Matthew 13:10-17
You haven't even addressed my question here.

night912

You are not showing me any verses for anything you have proposed.
Can't show you a verse that doesn't exist.

Meanwhile, I have shown you verses. You seem to want me to give you a verse that spells out everything exactly as you want. Sorry. That won't make a difference. I'm sure there would be something else you would ask to see. The Bible is not written as night912 wants, anf for night912. Matthew 13:10-17
It's not about what I want, it's about what you assumed. Why are you giving verses from Mathews, when I'm asking verses from genesis?

You haven't even addressed my question here.
At that moment, yes. Their eyes had to be open to see themselves naked.

Next......

night912

(Genesis 3:7) Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized that they were naked.
Literally, yes, otherwise they wouldn't have known that they were naked.

Figuratively, yes, otherwise they wouldn't have known that they were naked.

In context, they were naked the whole time, so they know right at that moment. If they knew what naked means, why didn't they know, with experience, if they were naked the whole time?

See, the difference between literally, figuratively, and in context? Trying to dodge the point by replacing those three doesn't help your argument.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Can't show you a verse that doesn't exist.
Then why argue about the Bible? Your argument would be meaningless and pointless, and I don't care to argue against ideas you create in your head. They mean nothing to me. As far as that goes, any idea you form in your head, are yours, and you are free to keep them there, crazy as they may be.

It's not about what I want, it's about what you assumed. Why are you giving verses from Mathews, when I'm asking verses from genesis?
Exactly? You are asking for what you want - verses from Genesis.
In other words, the Bible must be written to suit your wants. You must find scriptures where you want them to be, and saying things the way you want them to be said.
Is that not about what you want?

At that moment, yes. Their eyes had to be open to see themselves naked.

Next......
That's a rather vague statement. I don't know what you are trying to say.

Literally, yes, otherwise they wouldn't have known that they were naked.

Figuratively, yes, otherwise they wouldn't have known that they were naked.

In context, they were naked the whole time, so they know right at that moment. If they knew what naked means, why didn't they know, with experience, if they were naked the whole time?

See, the difference between literally, figuratively, and in context? Trying to dodge the point by replacing those three doesn't help your argument.
Thanks for trying to add some meat to that bone.
So you believe their eyes were literally closed, and they could not see each other? How did they see anything?
Figuratively, yes, otherwise they wouldn't have known that they were naked. o_O:confused:
This post is confusing. I'm trying to understand it, but I don't know if you are saying it was figurative or not.
So rather than trying to create a weak man argument, by falsely accusing me of trying to dodge, why not clarify.
I am wondering if you understand what you want to say.

night912

Exactly? You are asking for what you want - verses from Genesis.
In other words, the Bible must be written to suit your wants. You must find scriptures where you want them to be, and saying things the way you want them to be said.
Is that not about what you want?
No, I'm telling you what's in the bible. You, on the other hand, is saying something that is not in the bible.

Thanks for trying to add some meat to that bone.
So you believe their eyes were literally closed, and they could not see each other?
So you are saying that their eyes were closed the entire time?

How did they see anything?
Figuratively, yes, otherwise they wouldn't have known that they were naked. o_O:confused:
This post is confusing. I'm trying to understand it, but I don't know if you are saying it was figurative or not.
So rather than trying to create a weak man argument, by falsely accusing me of trying to dodge, why not clarify.
I am wondering if you understand what you want to say.
Context.

nPeace

Veteran Member
No, I'm telling you what's in the bible. You, on the other hand, is saying something that is not in the bible.
Uh huh?
night912's first post.
night912's second post.
night912's third post. Fourth. Fifth.
Where? Not even once did you mention one scripture, nor did you refer to the Bible.
On the other hand, there are too many posts where I have referred to scriptures... in the Bible.

So you are saying that their eyes were closed the entire time?
What? No you are saying that.... Or perhaps you don't even know what you are saying.

Excuse me. I'm sorry, but that just confirms it. You don't even understand a word you said. So I asked you to clarify, and you give me one word - context. This is not Babel is it?
When you understand what you want to say, let me know.
If you don't understand what you are saying, how do you expect me to understand it?