• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Evolution Chamber: Piltdown Man

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Right. History should never be selective or sanitized. Take the bad with the good and learn from the mistakes and move forward. Same with science. Every thing evolves (pardon the pun). Look how much our understanding of dinosaurs have changed in just the last 30 years.

And yet Jurassic Park still does not have feathers on its dinosaurs, and velocraptors are still far too large:p

David1967

Premium Member
And yet Jurassic Park still does not have feathers on its dinosaurs, and velocraptors are still far too large:p

The velociraptors were to large. Utah Raptor would have been the better candidate. .but velociraptor sounds cooler and making them larger and more intimidating was better for the movie. And scaly monsters look scarier than big feathered chickens. I'm pretty sure that was their thinking anyway. ....maybe. o_O

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The evolution chamber is a look back at classic science. An historical look at the theory of Evolution.

Today's episode: Piltdown Man

From 1912 to 1953 Piltdown man was accepted as genuine by the evolution community. After 40 years of prestige in the halls of peer reviewed reproducible observation (i.e. insert head in ***) it was discovered that it was human and ape bones put together and artificially aged. 40 years.

So, are you claiming *all* the evidence for evolution of humans is fraudulent? if so, please elaborate instead of presenting a case that was not broadly accepted and where the fraud was discovered *by the scientists*.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The velociraptors were to large. Utah Raptor would have been the better candidate. .but velociraptor sounds cooler and making them larger and more intimidating was better for the movie. And scaly monsters look scarier than big feathered chickens. I'm pretty sure that was their thinking anyway. ....maybe. o_O
I don't know, did you ever read about the Terror bird?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What I always find amazing is that anti-evolutionists do not realize that by using the "Piltdown man was a hoax therefore evolution is wrong" argument is that by that twisted logic Christianity or whatever religion the person has that made the claim has been refuted. There are countless examples of fake miracles for Christianity, whether the laying of hand cures done in stadiums or even such major ones as the Shroud of Turin. Fakes do not refute an idea, even if they are done to support an idea.

Audie

Veteran Member
So, are you claiming *all* the evidence for evolution of humans is fraudulent? if so, please elaborate instead of presenting a case that was not broadly accepted and where the fraud was discovered *by the scientists*.

That it is necessary to go back a hundred years to
find something is so sad, you'd think they'd be
embarrassed to reveal the paucity of their case.

In the event neither perp nor motive ever came
to light. Practical joke that went wrong?
Who knows?

Many years earlier, a professor in Germany
(?) was collecting fosdil shells from a quarry.

Much speculation about them!

But another prof started setting out
limestone carvings, and when those
were put in the collection, he made more
and more outlandish things.

In the end, they both got fired.

QuestioningMind

The evolution chamber is a look back at classic science. An historical look at the theory of Evolution.

From 1912 to 1953 Piltdown man was accepted as genuine by the evolution community. After 40 years of prestige in the halls of peer reviewed reproducible observation (i.e. insert head in ***) it was discovered that it was human and ape bones put together and artificially aged. 40 years.

Isn't the scientific method wonderful! It's a self-correcting method that changes it's conclusions based on new evidence and the review of old evidence. It's been BY FAR the best method humans have discovered for determining the reality of the physical universe.

Sadly, if Piltdown Man had been part of some theist's ancient religious texts, then they would undoubtedly be making up all sorts of delusional excuses for why it's actually true.

Audie

Veteran Member
Is your avatar a kookaburra?

I think I could handle ye magpie with a
tennis racket, if it that or my scalp.

Cassowary is bigger than me! Plus even
less friendly.

Audie

Veteran Member
Ah yes! Because self-induced ignorance is apparently bliss for some people. How sad.

It has appeal. Takes no effort, and all ya gotta
do is assume the air of lofty wise superiority, and
find a avater that looks so deep, so noble.

And then launch your b.s.

So narcissistic! Ya always have someone to admire
you and someone to soak up all that awed admiration!

In a debate forum, you post vague (wise) generalities,
mostly just reflective of attitude.

Slip up and make a false statement that can be shown
false? No prob! Ignore, dash off thro' the treetops to a
new thread!

Anyone like that around here? :D

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

less friendly.
Pfft everyone knows the best way to fend of Magpies is an ice cream bucket over one's head. This is how we discern Aussie raised kids from the rest. And actually being able to see a predator.......oh I mean an Aussie wildlife specimen is a huge advantage. I mean I rather be able to get me a head start than accidentally **** off some spider I didn't see in time. Some of those ******** actually chase ya!

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Yup

It's OK if you see it first but they usually come from behind with no warning. When I was a kid we would go to school with icecream containers on our heads that had eyes drawn on the back of them. It was a little undignified.

less friendly.

Possibly but they're only in the far north east of the country and they're endangered. Magpies and Lapwings are Australia wide and have benefited from land clearing so there's millions of them.

Audie

Veteran Member
Pfft everyone knows the best way to fend of Magpies is an ice cream bucket over one's head. This is how we discern Aussie raised kids from the rest. And actually being able to see a predator.......oh I mean an Aussie wildlife specimen is a huge advantage. I mean I rather be able to get me a head start than accidentally **** off some spider I didn't see in time. Some of those ******** actually chase ya!

Wonder how it compares with wildlifes
in New York City.

nyc sewer gator - Google Search:

siti

I love the old creationist standards - its almost like a soccer fans' chant - ":musicnotes:Piltdown man, Piltdown man, Piltdown man...:musicalnote:...Piltdown man, Piltdown man, Piltdown maa-an...:musicnotes:" - to the tune of stars and stripes forever...