• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The epoch of grass.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
While biodiversity is most important and there is no most important plant we can look at the fundamental importance of grass. grass played a major role in our evolution and creation of society . we live in the age of grass.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*laughs*

I give a speech on a fairly regular basis about this, though I usually use the word "Poaceae" and "grass family" since that's really what we're talking about in biology when we remark upon the importance of "grass." I don't really tell folks that Poaceae is the "most important," but I impress upon them the fact that members of family Poaceae were not only central to the rise of what we call human civilization, but remain critical for its continued existence.

bnabernard

When we can't eat the grass the animals eat it and we eat the animals, same diversity with the plants (including the grass) we cant eat the dirt, they take care of that side of it and we eat the plant.

Iti oj

Premium Member
*laughs*

I give a speech on a fairly regular basis about this, though I usually use the word "Poaceae" and "grass family" since that's really what we're talking about in biology when we remark upon the importance of "grass." I don't really tell folks that Poaceae is the "most important," but I impress upon them the fact that members of family Poaceae were not only central to the rise of what we call human civilization, but remain critical for its continued existence.
Thank you for increasing my scientific vocabulary and literacy .

I agree it's not most important but I do think it's a defining for our age.

Also what do you think of the coevolutionary importance of grass as it relates to The development of us as a species as well as the animals we relied upon.

I heard an interesting claim that flesh is grass .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There's no greater joy in life than mowing the grass with a Gravely Prostance mower.
The tiny scream of each blade as it is sliced apart.....priceless.

Iti oj

Premium Member
There's no greater joy in life than mowing the grass with a Gravely Prostance mower.
The tiny scream of each blade as it is sliced apart.....priceless.
I wonder if the importance of grass family is connected to this societal norm.

Iti oj

Premium Member
*laughs*

Do you have a power point or notes on your presentation you would be willing to share?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I heard an interesting claim that flesh is grass .

Well, a biological organism is what it eats in a very literal way. You can even tell where an organism came from by analyzing certain isotopes that are in, say, its hair. One of the more interesting seminars I've attended was a talk by a professor who analyzed exactly that. Essentially, by analyzing isotope composition in animal hair he could tell where the animals had been and what their general diet was. From the perspective of these analyses, most humans living in the United States look like corn, because we get so much of our nutrition from corn (either directly through corn and corn products or indirectly through the proteins that are mostly fed corn). Can't quite remember the professor's name... but it might be one of the folks who co-authored this paper here.

As for notes on the presentation, I don't have any because it isn't that kind of presentation... heh. I meet with prospective students on a fairly regular basis, and when I have time at the end of my program talk I like to take visitors up to the greenhouses. I point out all sorts of things as we wander around up there. As it happens, one of the areas of the greenhouse is so full of grass family representatives it kinda feels like you are walking into a jungle when you hit that part. What I say about that room varies from visit to visit, but sometimes I talk about the ethnobotanical implications of the grass family.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Well, a biological organism is what it eats in a very literal way. You can even tell where an organism came from by analyzing certain isotopes that are in, say, its hair. One of the more interesting seminars I've attended was a talk by a professor who analyzed exactly that. Essentially, by analyzing isotope composition in animal hair he could tell where the animals had been and what their general diet was. From the perspective of these analyses, most humans living in the United States look like corn, because we get so much of our nutrition from corn (either directly through corn and corn products or indirectly through the proteins that are mostly fed corn). Can't quite remember the professor's name... but it might be one of the folks who co-authored this paper here.

As for notes on the presentation, I don't have any because it isn't that kind of presentation... heh. I meet with prospective students on a fairly regular basis, and when I have time at the end of my program talk I like to take visitors up to the greenhouses. I point out all sorts of things as we wander around up there. As it happens, one of the areas of the greenhouse is so full of grass family representatives it kinda feels like you are walking into a jungle when you hit that part. What I say about that room varies from visit to visit, but sometimes I talk about the ethnobotanical implications of the grass family.
Thanks

I've been listening to a audio book that talked about this. they tested a McDonald's cheeseburger and the carbon came back as corn for a large percentage .

Commodity corn has strong socioeconomic and environmental implications .