• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The environmental impact of Bitcoin

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
'Bitcoin uses more electricity annually than the whole of Argentina, analysis by Cambridge University suggests.'

Bitcoin consumes 'more electricity than Argentina'

Perhaps that is not as bad as all of the mining required to mint coins, but still a disturbing trend. Digital money is surely the way to go but not a cryptocurrency that is so computationally expensive (with conventional computers at least).

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with crypto currency when quantum computing enters the public market.

Indeed. When that technology becomes stable and starts being used it will break everything; it would make the elliptical curve digital signature algorithm, which I think Bitcoin still uses, worthless.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How weird and interesting.

This is why appropriate technology proofing needs to be mandatory worldwide. I suppose in a fashion it is already, it's just enforced by the gods (aka, natural laws to most of you, probably). This won't be sustainable and it'll die off because of that. Either that or it'll be only the currency of the elites with everyone else not using it.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
'Bitcoin uses more electricity annually than the whole of Argentina, analysis by Cambridge University suggests.'

Bitcoin consumes 'more electricity than Argentina'

Perhaps that is not as bad as all of the mining required to mint coins, but still a disturbing trend. Digital money is surely the way to go but not a cryptocurrency that is so computationally expensive (with conventional computers at least).
Bitcoin is a first try, but I think it is impossible for bitcoin and other true bitmining ledgers to ever be less energy intensive. On the other hand its high cost is also the solution, because that electricity costs money. Eventually no one will be able to profit from mining bitcoin due to the cost of the processing. Your computer will work to guess the bitcoin number, and the money you spend supporting this will be greater than the value of the bitcoin.

That leads to....green renewable energy resources required to break even. Possibly this explains Tesla's interest. Perhaps they foresee bitcoin requiring solar power.

amorphous_constellation

Is there some way they can somehow recycle the supposed heat that the calculating computers creater for power? I don't know anything about bitcoin, I just heard that the calculations might be generating heat, or using too much power, or something